Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

Old Jan 6th, 08, 03:52 PM
Senior Tech

Dante'

Default Vintage Air Install on a 69

I have a 69 Camaro that was an original factory air vehicle. When ordering vintage air how much of the factory system is used. I there somthing in the kit that replaces the briefcase on the firewall?
Advertisement

Old Jan 6th, 08, 04:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Dave C

Default Re: Vintage Air Install on a 69

My car is non factory air. I got my stuff from DSE check them out they have a lot of cool stuff in there site.
Old Jan 6th, 08, 04:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Steve O.

just about the only parts used from the original system will be the dash control panel and the original air vents in the dash.The suitcase with be replaced with a low profile panel with various holes for lines,hoses,etc.The entire Vintage Air unit fits inside the car....If I were you and you have a factory AC car I would try to restore and keep the original unit.The VA units are nice but not as good as the OEM when working correctly.
67' Vert RS Tremec TKO- Eaton 3:55- 350 cu.- L98 heads-Vintage Air- Torque Thrust-BFG.g-force 4-wheel disc.
Old Jan 6th, 08, 06:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Allan

yup, the briefcase goes away and the replacement unit fits under the dash.

at the firewall you'll have 4 new holes to create for the lines to the unit. you'll also be converted over to the newer refridgerant so the old compressor will not be used either.

The VA unit offers new control panel if you want to use it.
you'll get new ducting to mate your dash vents to the new unit.
Old Jan 6th, 08, 06:55 PM
Senior Tech

Tim

I thought VA did "original" system component restorations?
Old Jan 6th, 08, 07:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

I'm not sure about a factory air car, but I'm in the process of installing VA Gen IV on my 69 and the heater block off plate has another plate that attaches to it (4 holes) so there are no new holes to drill. They supply everything. You will use your control panel but they give you all new hardware to hook up to it. You will not use the cables. I'm going to use the universal 3 knob controller in its place. I'm in the process of making a mounting panel to replace the factory panel. Will post pics later.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
87 IROC
Old Jan 6th, 08, 09:48 PM
Senior Tech

Frank

We sell a ton of these systems, many to board members here. The factory A / C kit will feature a block plate similar to the NON A / C cars, but will fit the different firewall openings. You will be trashing every single piece of the old system except the controler in the dash and A / C vents. All the cables, hoses, ducts, defroster ducts, inside heater core box, outside evaporator box, old compressor, condensor are all gone.

The new Gen IV systems blows away any other "Camaro A / C systems" out there.

If you have any questions, feel free to call

four zero seven 832 1752
Old Jan 7th, 08, 07:12 AM
Team Member

Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
We sell a ton of these systems, many to board members here. The factory A / C kit will feature a block plate similar to the NON A / C cars, but will fit the different firewall openings. You will be trashing every single piece of the old system except the controler in the dash and A / C vents. All the cables, hoses, ducts, defroster ducts, inside heater core box, outside evaporator box, old compressor, condensor are all gone.

The new Gen IV systems blows away any other "Camaro A / C systems" out there.

If you have any questions, feel free to call

four zero seven 832 1752
Does it even beat out the CAA systems? And why? Since I know that you sell both. Adding aftermarket a/c to my factory a/c 69 in the near future. Thanks.
Old Jan 7th, 08, 07:37 AM
Senior Tech

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgifford5 View Post
Does it even beat out the CAA systems? And why? Since I know that you sell both. Adding aftermarket a/c to my factory a/c 69 in the near future. Thanks.
No, the Classic Auto Air kit uses replaceable parts on its HVAC system incase a part breaks for some reason. VA is a sealed case that needs returned to VA for service. The Clssic Auto air system uses seperate coils for the AC and the heater, VA uses a one peice combined coil.
You can keep the OE compressor and Condenser if so desired too, Many many options to choose from.
Old Jan 7th, 08, 12:04 PM
Senior Tech

Frank

Well, first and Foremost, I have never replaced a evaporator except for collision repair, and only have to replace heater cores after 40 years and no antifreeze, so the serviceability is not a issue. Antifreeze has come a long way, and lets face it, we are going to maintain out babies. And in 40 years if it needs a new evaporator, VA will change it for a couple hundred bucks, if it needs a heater core, more like a hundred bucks.

I do sell both brands, I actually have 3 brands. Classic Air is good stuff no doubt. For us right now, we are using Vintage Air in all our first gen Camaro builds. I could go off one many attributes we could use from the "sales" guide. Bottom line, The Gen IV was designed for the OEM for Ford when they hired Vintage Air to design the A/C for the then new Ford GT (GT40). The Gen IV is what they ended up with. Long story short, if it is good enough for a $200K car, it is good enough for your old hot rod.

I just did a install of a Gen IV and put a thermometer in the vent, 42 degrees! And maintained the cabin in Florida 90 degree day just fine. We actually had to turn the blower down one notch off high as it got to cold at one point. We have most likely installed a hundred aftermarket A/C systems, including Vintage Air, Classic Air, and Hot Rod Air. I never turned down the blower on a unit until now!

As a parts seller, we have a distinct advantage over manufacturers and most parts dealers and can give opinions from experience. We build a lot of cars. We have a even dozen Camaros right now, amount a dozen other non Camaro projects. We do not have to quote sales jargon from manufacturers because it is the company we work for. We have multiple brands to sell you. Because I have 3 products available, I give unbias NON financially motivated opinions as I can make money no matter which brand you buy from us. I just state my personal experiences, just the facts.
Old Jan 9th, 08, 05:46 PM
Senior Tech

I am installing a Vintage Air Gen IV in my factory AC 69 I am restoring. I am also going from SB to BB (454). My question concerns wiring harnesses for underhood. I am going to purchase a Factory Fit and am wondering what harness I need and maybe what mods may need to be done to it. The car is an Auto with console and lights in the dash and I will be using an internally reg. alternator (possibly passenger side). Any suggestions would be a great help. Thanks!
Old Jan 10th, 08, 07:36 PM
Senior Tech

Frank

Are you doing a complete new harness? If so we just need to set you up with a Classic Update and you will have all the additional circuits you need.

You may want to call me to discuss

four zero seven 832 1752
Old Jan 13th, 08, 03:23 PM
Senior Tech

RJ

Is the Vintage Air setup something a person can istall himself, or do you have to pay to have it done. If installed by the seller, what would be average total cost, parts and installation? Thanks much,
RJ
Old Jan 13th, 08, 04:25 PM
Senior Tech

Frank

RJ, I have sold a lot of units that are owner installed. You will want to have a A/C shop vacuum and charge the system, but other then that with normal hand tools and average mechanical skills you should be able to do it. Your cost with be right at $1300 for the system, and figure about $100 to a A/C shop for the vacuum and freon charge
Old Jan 13th, 08, 04:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jim

As there are a bunch of new guys in this thread, I thought it worth mentioning that Frank has been a long time poster here, long before we had sponsorships, and he has helped many. I've taken his advice more than once, and I've done business with him too. Itsa priveledge to have a pro like Frank here.

Jimragtop.com New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement