Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Feb 7th, 08, 05:54 AM
Senior Tech

Greg

Default Chrome rocker trim on '68 Camaro

Was the chrome trim along the rockers standard on '68s or perhaps an option? I've seen cars both ways but obviously after 40 years many could have removed. My car doesn't have the trim and I like the appearance so am thinking of putting it on. Thanks guys....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 7th, 08, 07:00 AM
Senior Tech

Brad

Default Re: Chrome rocker trim on '68 Camaro

I've got a bare bones stock '68 and it came with the trim. I've always liked the trim on the top of the door running along the bottom of the window and have considered adding that to my car also, but didn't know if that came on special packages either.
Old Feb 7th, 08, 07:13 AM
Senior Tech

Greg

Thanks Brad. Yeah, I think my car was a plain jane originally but today it has the trim along the bottom of the windows and around the 'rain gutters?' over the tops of the doors. I don't know what that's correctly called. But I really like the look of the chrome running along the bottom edge of the body, wondered whether adding that would be weird or not. Of course, I've read many, many opinions that you do what you like on your car unless it's a true really original car.

Next I guess I'll ask if installing this chrome is something a non-body guy could do? I'm very capable but don't have body work tools and such.

Thanks again...
Old Feb 7th, 08, 08:12 AM
Senior Tech

Ryan

I don't know if it was available by itself, although the trim is much more common on RS models.
I believe all you need to install the rocker trim is a drill. There are small holes in my rockers where there were pins holding the trim. There isn't any real "body work" required.
Old Feb 7th, 08, 08:34 AM
Senior Tech

Greg

Thanks Ryan. I think you're right regarding installation, a series of holes where pins install that the chrome trim is attached. Shouldn't be much work or require any 'body work' just care and planning before drilling holes :-)
Old Feb 7th, 08, 08:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

John

The Body Sill Mouldings were standard on all Base Camaros.
The 1968 Rally Sport had a different Sill Moulding than the base models or RPO-Z21 equiped cars.
The "Style Trim" option was available on any base Camaro as RPO-Z21 - it included the Bright Front and Rear Wheel House Moldings, Bright Drip Rail Mouldings and Bright Belt Mouldings.
This was a very popular (higher percentage) option and upgrade to base models - I don't have the numbers in front of me, but you can check CRG for that. ( www.camaros.org )
These mouldings were also found on the RS optioned cars and included in RPO-Z22.
Other V6 things - none of which float
Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Old Feb 7th, 08, 09:11 AM
Senior Tech

Greg

Thanks Eric, more good info.........
Old May 13th, 08, 11:49 AM
Senior Tech

Brad

Yesterday I was looking at a '79 Camaro and noticed this chrome rocker trim piece looked identical to the one on my '68! Can anyone confirm whether or not this is the same part?
Old May 13th, 08, 01:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

John

Question Re: Chrome rocker trim on '68 Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68CMRO View Post
Yesterday I was looking at a '79 Camaro and noticed this chrome rocker trim piece looked identical to the one on my '68! Can anyone confirm whether or not this is the same part?
The GM part numbers are different - so the are not 'identical'
Can't answer if they might fit as I don't have length measurements - maybe with some new hole drilling and the correct type clips they might be close ...
The correct type are still available from many sources, so I don't intend to try the later type any time soon
Other V6 things - none of which float
Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Team Camaro Tech > First Generation Camaro Info and Tech - 1967- 1969 "Where it all started" > Body Shop      Current Topic: Chrome rocker trim on '68 Camaro
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.