Team Camaro Tech banner

X33 spoiler question

16K views 109 replies 27 participants last post by  frankk 
#1 ·
I'm looking at an x33 z28 for restoration. My question is about spoilers. If a car had spoilers should it be an x33 d80? is the d80 the code for spoilers? So if the tag just says x33 should the car have no spoilers?

#2 ·
Re: x33 spoiler question

I'm sure someone with time frames will add to this. The D80 is the spoiler code but stamping it on the cowl tag didn't start until later in production. So then there are x coded cars with spoilers without the D80 code.

You can check the trunk torsion rods, factory spoiler cars were 2 different sizes (thickness) to help validate a real spoiler car but like all things it's an easy swap so it's not conclusive.

#3 ·

To add to Denis' comments, I have an X33 05A car that originally came with a spoiler but it does not have D80 on the trim tag. I believe some 05A cars started poping up with the D80 stamping. One of the CRG guys would know for sure.

#5 ·

i'm not a CRG guy, but all I can tell you is D80 started showing up in May 69.

05A would be too early.

#10 ·

So the 69 Z28 started with an optional spoiler option but did not signify it as D80 when it was ordered? When the spoiler became part of the "package" included with RPO Z28 it was added to the cowl tag on some but not all? I have an 05C X77 w/o D80.

#15 ·

I have a O2D that is D80 on trim - wasnt this a recent research thing? Yea I can finally contribute something.
My 02D does not have D80, as it should not. Not until later in the year anyway. Can you post a picture of your trim tag?

#17 ·

So, any chance that the D80 designation from April through production end was something other than haphazard? Since this is the time frame the spoiler was included with RPO Z28 it seems odd they would all of a sudden begin including it in the cowl data in a sporadic fashion. Could it have anything to do with the increasing popularity of the cowl hood? Cars with spoiler only identified as D80 and those with the now "included" spoiler and optional cowl hood X code only? The reason this comes to mind is that the Fisher cowl tag was essentially body build related. I also find it interesting that Dennis's X11 is D80 and on a seperate note the RPO Z11 pace car accent did not include the D80.

#18 ·

Pat, my car has no D80 on the TT and is a non cowl car with a spoiler. Could it be the other way around (D80 on the TT means spoiler and cowl)?

#19 ·

I think we're saying the same thing unless you mean your car has an original cowl hood?

i.e. An 05A Z28 or Z11 would have a spoiler included in the RPO therefore it would not need to be included on the body tag unless it also had an optional cowl hood where by leaving off the D80 would identify that configuration. Thats the reason I brought up the Z11 and Dennis's X11 a Z11 RPO would include spoiler and cowl hood and an X11 never included a spoiler in the RPO.

#21 · (Edited)

None of the Z11's or Z10's have D80 on the TT but both would have spoilers and cowl hoods included in those RPO's. If some post April Z28's with D80 TT's exist with factory paper documents including the ZL1 cowl hood that would debunk this thought. It would also throw the X77 and X33's with and without D80 designations built post April back into the some did some didn't have it for an unknown reason.

I guess what I'm saying is that when the D80 was included on the TT it's meaning was "just" D80 and not ZL1 cowl hood. This would explain whay Z11's and Z10's with both RPO's included dont have D80 because both options were are in the RPO. With X11's 33's and 77's built post April and the Z28's now including D80 in the RPO they would only have the D80 if the cowl hood was not ordered optional. I can see this helping Fisher Body distinguish an X11 with D80 added and an X33 or X77 with only spoiler and not cowl hood.

#22 ·

I think my point debunks that myth as well. You say all Z10's and Z11's have no D80 on the TT but had cowl hood. My car also does not have D80 on the TT and did not have the cowl hood.

#23 ·

Go back to sometime in May being when the D80 started being stamped on the tag and keep in mind the last Z11's were all built in 05A. I don't think there was any correlation between Z code, spoilers and hoods that preempted the D code.

#25 ·

Go back to sometime in May being when the D80 started being stamped on the tag and keep in mind the last Z11's were all built in 05A. I don't think there was any correlation between Z code, spoilers and hoods that preempted the D code.
RPO Z28 would have included D80 in the Z28 RPO by May so no reason to add it to the TT....or was their? Z11's included the D80 and ZL1 and came into production the last week of February no reason to add it to the TT. I can see why the D80 would have been included on the TT of an X11. Only roughly 6000 ZL1 hoods factory optioned and many of those ate up in Z11 and Z10 production unless they were not counted in the total since they were RPO packaged and not optioned?

#29 ·

The facts based on CRG data;

No D80 on tags before mid May.
Z11 production was between 02A and 05A.
Z28 spoilers were standard begining in Apr.

We also know there was no Z11 D80 on tags but there is X33 and X77 D80 tags and they are all May or later.

The ZL2 hood was always an option on the Z28 and I don't see a correlation to the hood and the D80 code. As well the stamping of D80 didn't start with the spoiler becoming standard on the Z28.

I can't see any correlation here to say why Chevy opted to start stamping the cowl tags with D80. I agree once it became standard on the Z28 there was no need to include the D80 along with the X code but that's just from our perspective looking back. I think going back to the day and looking forward there had to be a reason or they would not have done it.

#32 ·

It's perplexing, as I know of no other option that was included in an RPO package that was also redundant on the TT. Anyone else think of anything?
Pretty simple. They wanted to ID any D80 cars and not have to think about 'oh yeah, and X33 also got D80'. And it also may have been dependent on the computer systems back then and how the options were entered.

Redundant:

2L and 4L/4K in 67?

5Y and 5Z in 67?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.