There's a simple spoiler Diagram on steve's camaro web site
http://www.stevescamaroparts.com/Cam...t_Spoiler.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 9th, 10, 10:09 AM
Tech Team

Richard

Default Re: 1967 front spoiler Braces

Can someone post pics of their spoiler install? I'd like to actually see how others have mounted theirs.
Old Feb 9th, 10, 11:58 AM
Team Member

Jerry G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsurfrider View Post
Can someone post pics of their spoiler install? I'd like to actually see how others have mounted theirs.
Check this link for the AIM install for the D80 option on the '67 and '69. There wasn't a picture in the '68 AIM of the D80 option....it got left out for some reason.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...hlight=spoiler

This is for the factory install....but I suppose you can change it any way you want to get it installed. As you can see, the first design "67 and '68 spoiler only mounted to the lower valance with screws. The late '67 and early '68 valances did not have the holes drilled in them, they had to be hand drilled for sheet metal screws and that is what is shown on the '67 AIM. Sometime during the "68 production all the valances got holes punched in them and then they started using machine screws on the spoiler side and nuts on the valance side. My original '68 was fitted this way. The second design '68 and '69 spoiler was mounted with the screws to the lower valance as well as the three braces, one center brace to the front crossmember and the two outer braces to the lower fender extension. I'm sure the reason for the braces was the fact that the first design spoiler was shorter (measuring from valance toward the ground) and didn't catch as much air, so therefore didn't need them......the second design spoilers were longer (measuring from the valance toward the ground) and therefore caught more air and needed the extra bracing to hold it steady under speed.

Well....my thinking anyway.

Hope this helps....

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2 Owner, 38,000 miles

Last edited by 1968 Z28; Feb 9th, 10 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Extra info.
Old Feb 9th, 10, 07:27 PM
Senior Tech

Chuck

I have a '67 with the repo type front spoiler. No braces on mine. I have been over 100mph at the strip and it did not fold over.
Old Feb 16th, 10, 11:03 AM
Senior Tech

Rich

I was warned a long time ago by someone about the braces causing damage to the fenders if something is hit - seems to make sense-anyone with any experiences want to chime in here? so I was wondering about using nylon attachment bolts or something that may break loose instead of damaging a fender? or possibly making the braces weaker or with a thinner or bendable metal? I'd much rather replace that than have to fix or find a replacemnet NOS fender!
In the past I havent ever used the braces myself.
99 Firehawk
64 Chevelle wagon 6.0l planned sons toy
Old Feb 16th, 10, 11:56 AM
Senior Tech

Brian

I had and original 69 Z/28 in 1969. The first thing that came off was the center bracket for the spoiler. I ran up on a parking curb, repaired it with a couple of washers as the hole on the spoiler punched through. Then when I did it again (duh). I just unbolted the center bracket from the frame.
My 68 had a front spoiler on it when I bought it but no braces. It lookes as if the holes had been drilled and small bolts with a lock washer and nut installed in the holes provided on the spoiler.
Since it was a cruise night car I didn't forsee any parking curbs to bump into so I purchased a set of brackets.
I am pretty sure my dealer gets them through Classic. I was able to bolt on the side brackets with the existing hole in the fender. To my surprise there was no hole in the frame for the center bracket, so it is in my tool box. Sturdy enough without it.
I have the Canadian documents on it and no spoiler option on it. I guess they must have drilled and tapped the holes on a spoiler car in 68s, on the frame.
I currently own a 1968 Camaro Coupe 327 275 HP L30
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...z/P5170084.jpg
Old Feb 20th, 10, 06:42 AM
Tech Team

Richard

I finally installed my front spoiler. I was going to install it without the braces but it didn't feel sturdy enough. As others have mentioned the side braces were short. Quick fix, drilled smaller holes next to the holes already on the spoiler (not enough room to use provided bolts). Used smaller bolts to attach brace to spoiler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement