ACDelco battery for a '69 Camaro? - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

Old Sep 6th, 08, 09:42 AM
Senior Tech

Cool ACDelco battery for a '69 Camaro?

That is what I want to put in my '69 Camaro. I have had such good luck with the ACDelco's I want one for it now. Today I stopped at a local parts store and they looked up an ACDelco to fit my 1969 Camaro and was told thay do not make one to fit that car anymore????
What????? So, now I need to find another just as good as the ACDelco to fit my car. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 6th, 08, 10:45 AM
Senior Tech

Charlie

Default Re: ACDelco battery for a '69 Camaro?

I, as many on the TC site, run an Optima. I too had great luck with the AC Delco/Delphi brand batteries. Since AC sold their battery line to Delphi, then in 2006, Delphi sold them to Johnson Controls, I haven't been able to find either brand anymore. There is always the good old Die Hard from Sears or now K-Mart since they merged. If I had it to do over I would have not bought the Optima. I bought it in May of 2007 and it went bad in August of 2008. I will probably go with a Die Hard or an Odyssey.
http://performancebatteries.com/prod...tail.php?ID=12
Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
Old Sep 6th, 08, 11:34 AM
Retired

Dennis

They certainly still make batterys... www.acdelco.com/parts/battery I can't believe they don't make one that fits the needs of a 1st gen Camaro.

I didn't have much luck with the last two AC Delco batteries and ended up installing an Exide Marathon in the Camaro and have an Exide 75 in the Nova which sat for a year and still cranked and fired without issue. The problem I had with the AC Delco was if I didn't start the car for a month the battery wouldn't crank the engine over. I got Batt tenders and that helped but haven't had to use them since installing the Exide... http://www.exide.com/products/automo..._marathon.html

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Old Sep 6th, 08, 05:04 PM
Senior Tech

I looked around on the ACDelco site and see there is a listing for a battery for a '69 Camaro. I could not find any dimensions listed to verify though. I did find a parts store that was listed on their site as a distributor. I will run by there Monday and see if they can help me out. This parts store is also a supplier for my office's "fleet" so I may get a discount too!!
Old Sep 6th, 08, 05:18 PM
Senior Tech

save some money and buy something else. here is what i did and pass inspection for orginal battery,(several times)

several have it, look in camaro central, it is a delco battery topper. is goes over a regular battery and looks just like a r-59. I think a NAPA or sears battery has the correct size. its $49 bucks. then you can go with what ever battery you want and still look orginal and "cheap" a r59 battery is about 320.00 right now. part number in their book is BAT-81.

no joke, everyone ask me how much the r59 battery cost me.
Old Sep 6th, 08, 05:19 PM
Senior Tech

I've had two AC Delco batteries puke acid all over my car. And then even though it was a 60 month battery, since it was beyond the manufacturer's warranty, they told me "tough luck fella". I'll never buy another AC Delco and likely will replace any future ones with an optima.
Old Sep 7th, 08, 07:46 AM
Senior Tech

I looked at the Optimas at Auto zone yesterday. Since I returned the other battery at Wal-Mart I do not have a core. The Optimas were priced !
I am just wanting something that will sit for several months and start.

My old GMC truck I sold several months ago had an ACDelco in it and it would sit anywhere from 4 to 8 months at a time and it would always start! My wife's '97 RS Convertible still has the original ACDelco in it and the winter before last sat in the garage from August to May and fired right up!!!!
Old Sep 7th, 08, 02:10 PM
Senior Tech

Any lead acid battery including the glass-mats require periodic charging.
Old Sep 7th, 08, 02:27 PM
Senior Tech

I will be gettting a battery tender this year also. I am going to do some research and see if I can get one that will work for the cars and motorcycles. I keep 2 Camaros and 3 motorcycles in the garage and during the winter they do not get out much. My garage is heated so it never gets cold in there but I know any battery sitting for any period of time will lose charge and the plates start to break down.

Thanks for all the ideas too!!
Old Sep 7th, 08, 06:30 PM
Senior Tech

I have done some research and it looks like I am going to get a Deltran Battery Tender. The double bank charger with 25 foot leads would work great for me. I will ask the parts store their opinion also on a tender also.
Old Sep 8th, 08, 03:23 AM

<Jake 68's Rule

Size 24 will work.
Old Sep 8th, 08, 04:56 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Size 24 will work.
That is what I went ahead and got today, a size 24. When I got home this evening I installed it and fired the Camaro up. I hope this ACDelco battery gives me as much service as the ones I have had in the past!
Old Sep 7th, 10, 10:17 PM

Clark Perez

Quote:
An advertising agency is 85 percent confusion and 15 percent commission.
I already heard too much about AC Delco... some says it is recommended while some says it's not a better one...

well my car needs a new battery now... so i decided to buy AC Delco since auto mechanic suggested it to me too... i just hope it will last long in my truck...
Old Sep 8th, 10, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supv26 View Post
....Today I stopped at a local parts store and they looked up an ACDelco to fit my 1969 Camaro and was told thay do not make one to fit that car anymore????.....

They lied because I walked up the counter and bought one, no problem.
And I just replaced the ACDelco in my truck that had been in there since BEFORE 2003 with another one .

STREET MACHINES OF ROCHESTER

SEMA ACTION NETWORK

UNITED SERVICES ORGANIZATION (USO)
Old Sep 8th, 10, 07:19 AM
Team Member

Gary

Just make sure you check the polarity on the top post. I found that the polaritys on a 69 z were on the reverese sides meaning the neg terminal would be on the right as you look at it under the hood. (as shown in the AIM) Most people dont run them like that anymore mabey thats why GM stoped listing them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
acdelco, battery, charging