Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Performance Our High Performance area

Old Apr 24th, 03, 11:35 AM
Senior Tech

I am having some issues with plug clearance on my 383 ci ,s10. I have the pro topline angle plug heads and sanderson shorties with 1 3/4 primaries.I didn't see an accel plug listing that fit the toplines requirement,s. the suggested plugs do go in ,but no room for a plug boot! I thought about using an old header flange as a spacer if I can't find a short plug to use
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 24th, 03, 06:42 PM
Senior Tech

Sean

i'm using ngk v power plugs, they are about as short as the accel plugs everybody uses. i'm running 1 3/4 long tube hooker super comps, w/ pro action angle plug heads, and they work great. one suggestion though, the plug they reccomend is a very cold heat range, so unless your compression is up there, i.e. 12:1 plus, or are running nitrous, you'll do better with a slightly hotter plug. the plug requirements are really just a 3/4 reach, washer seat plug, pretty common really. just take the number they reccomend to a spark plug website, such as ngk, and start cross referencing. also, for reference, i'm currently running an ngk # R5671A-7 in my 11.6:1 406, w/ the 220 cc pro heads. hope that helps

1968rs former 406 sbc, now a 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor

"I aint never seen talking win me nothin'" -Marshawn Lynch
Old Apr 24th, 03, 07:22 PM
Senior Tech

Mike

68rs406
im useing the same headers as you and GM z/28 2.02 angle plug heads [1970 over the counter heads] and have a clearence problem with the spark plug boot on no.3 cylinder big time. i have to use high temp socks on 3 other wires too because of clearance problems. i use the accel shortys also but your right the NGK V power are ALMOST as short.
richards problem could be the wrong headers......i found out after that there is certain types of headers that fit angle plug headers better.......headman i think???
69 Camaro RS/SS 350.<br />GM 2.02 angle plug heads.<br />223 dur/480 lift hyd cam.<br />69 z/28 alum high rise.<br />69 z/28 780 vac sec holly carb.<br />4 bolt mains,steel crank,forged flat top pistons.<br />Turbo 350 2800 stall with shift kit.<br />3:73 12 bolt posi.<br />functional ZL2 cowl induction hood<br />gear vender O.D.<br />13.2 in the 1/4 with slicks and open headers
Old Apr 24th, 03, 07:30 PM
Senior Tech

Sean

good point, z27. that thought had crossed my mind.(apparently it was just passing through ) my #3 plug is also close. its real tough to get started with a socket, had to make a "custom" plug socket for it. once in and tight, clearance is close but no burning issues at all. the rest are fine as far as clearance. it very well could be a header issue.

Old Apr 24th, 03, 07:38 PM
Senior Tech

Thanks, I dont have many options for headers,This is aS10 pick-up,I will check out the ngk plugs ,I know that they are good quality.
Old Apr 24th, 03, 07:44 PM
Senior Tech

Sean

hey, good luck. after looking back at your post, i see you say the reccomended plugs (champion c57 i believe?) did fit, but leave no room for plug boots, i would bet the shorty type plugs will take care of the problem. i'm pretty sure i would have a problem at #3 if i used a standard length plug. hope you find success

Sponsored Links
Advertisement