Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Old Jan 15th, 09, 07:42 PM

Default big block chevy 402

looking at 68 camaro and it has a 402 in it.can i put a small m cam in it or is that a truck motor.

john
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 15th, 09, 08:00 PM
Banned

Ron

Default Re: big block chevy 402

If it's a big block chevy 402 then that's a passenger car motor!.....A 402 is a 396 bored out .030" over and typically low compression unless it's an early 70's motor like the L-34 or L-78.
Old Jan 16th, 09, 04:51 AM
Senior Tech

mark

Well actually they did put 402's in pickups. I have seen several listed as a 400 but was a 402 big block in a truck. That being said truck and car motors will accept the same internal parts.

mark
Old Jan 16th, 09, 01:46 PM
Senior Tech

the 402 BBC is one of the most UNDER RATED engine out there, ID far rather build an engine based on a 402 BBC than on a 400 sbc.

Ive NEVER been able to figure out why so many guys swoon and get chills over a 383-396 SBC built from a 350 combo and IGNORE a 396-402 BBC combo with its larger ports, bigger valves stronger parts and much larger potential in displacement if you go the stroker route, and basically better architecture, that allows a 434 displacement with readily availavble parts, yes theres the extra 80-100 lbs of engine weight and the packaging space issues, but in most cases the BBC can make enought extra hp to at lease equal and in most cases easily surpass the similar SBC combo,it just takes some research and thought going into the sellection of the components, given the choice, between a sbc and a BBC and if not resticted in my component sellection,Ill build a BBC every damn time! (especially if I can build it to maximize the BBCs true potential)
yeah, theres no question you can build a killer sbc 383-396 slightly cheaper as the basic components are more comon and cost slightly less, but the differance in total cost is generally far less than most guys realize once you try to exceed about 475-500 TRUE hp

»http://kb-silvolite.com/performance....tails&P_id=110

start with these pistons,(yeah its a stroker application 4" stroke like a 454) but youll NOT need to find a 454 crank/damper/flywheel, because its INTERNALLY ballanced like your 402, and it will run fine on pump gas)

crank

http://www.crower.com/misc/cam_spec/...1404&x=40&y=14

this cam (yeah HYDROLIC ROLLER CAM)

http://maliburacing.com/patrick_budd_article.htm
Old Jan 16th, 09, 01:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

BILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyvette View Post
the 402 bbc is one of the most under rated engine out there, id far rather build an engine based on a 402 bbc than on a 400 sbc.

Ive never been able to figure out why so many guys swoon and get chills over a 383-396 sbc built from a 350 combo and ignore a 396-402 bbc combo with its larger ports, bigger valves stronger parts and much larger potential in displacement if you go the stroker route, and basically better architecture, that allows a 434 displacement with readily availavble parts, yes theres the extra 80-100 lbs of engine weight and the packaging space issues, but in most cases the bbc can make enought extra hp to at lease equal and in most cases easily surpass the similar sbc combo,it just takes some research and thought going into the sellection of the components, given the choice, between a sbc and a bbc and if not resticted in my component sellection,ill build a bbc every damn time! (especially if i can build it to maximize the bbcs true potential)
yeah, theres no question you can build a killer sbc 383-396 slightly cheaper as the basic components are more comon and cost slightly less, but the differance in total cost is generally far less than most guys realize once you try to exceed about 475-500 true hp

»http://kb-silvolite.com/performance....tails&p_id=110

start with these pistons,(yeah its a stroker application 4" stroke like a 454) but youll not need to find a 454 crank/damper/flywheel, because its internally ballanced like your 402, and it will run fine on pump gas)

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...view=sku«

crank

http://www.crower.com/misc/cam_spec/...1404&x=40&y=14

this cam (yeah hydrolic roller cam)
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

these rods

these heads

this nitrous kit

the cams alittle too large for the compression, n/a untill you add a 150-250 hp nitrous plate but then its really effective with the long stroke and extra displacement and large chamber volume

read this

http://maliburacing.com/patrick_budd_article.htm

http://www.chevytalk.org/threads/sho...ue#post1485481
tell him like it is...no substitution for a big fat motor...amen to that...I THINK HE JUST WANTED TO PUT A CAM IN A 402 BBC THOUGH!! WHICH IS A GOOD MOTOR!!
Old Jan 17th, 09, 01:23 PM
Banned

Smile Re: big block chevy 402

If we are going to get into B&S'ing a 402 BB, I have to say that one time years ago, I had a chance to buy one for $700 running like a new one complete from the front to the flywheel and I backed out of it only b/c I really wanted a 454.

Sweetest stock 402 BB P/U engine I ever heard running!!

Now if you really want to do this, sonic check your block b/c some of the blocks back then will bore to 4.25" so that a 454 or a 454 stroked to 4.25" rotating assembly fit like stock.

And if you want a bigger engine, then please consider a 4.375" stroked crank b/c I look back and I really think that my '75 "TSC" VIN coded 454 P/U block would swallow one w/ minimal grinding, only b/c my block swallowed my 496 rotating assembly w/ NO grinding whatsoever!!

As always, jmho and food for thought!

BUT one thing, only cubic money beats cubic inches!

pdq67
Old Jan 17th, 09, 05:25 PM
Senior Tech

several 402 placed in full size cars and in police cars. know for sure, got out ran by a 402 in an old impala in 73. without the smog, it is a very good motor. good exhaust would give you a good sound (flowmasters for big blocks) if thats what you are looking for.
Old Jan 17th, 09, 10:45 PM
Senior Tech

Since Chevy had spent a few dollars promoting the 396 in the 60's, the 402 was still called "396" from 1970 to 1972 and was installed in cars like SS Camaros, SS Chevelles, SS Novas and yes, trucks as 396's were in the 60's.

And of course to confuse matters worse, Chevy began the 10 year SB-400 campaign also in 1970.

Agree withh Grumpy above. A built BB-402 will make quite a bit more power than a built SB-400 primarily because BB heads will well out-flow SB's. And of course a BB is stronger, and in fact, a BB cast crank is stronger than a SB forged.

FWIW.
Old Jan 18th, 09, 05:44 AM
Senior Tech

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroud6 View Post
Well actually they did put 402's in pickups.
mark
When they talk about truck motors (366 and 427s), they are referring to the tall deck truck motors (grain trucks, dump trucks, etc.), not pickups and suburbans. The BBs used in the pickups/Suburbans was the low deck passenger block just like the Chevelles, Camaros, etc.
Old Jan 18th, 09, 05:32 PM
Senior Tech

the 71 402 in my cousin's 66 Chevelle 300 deluxe ran pretty damn good- and he didn't have a ton of money in it, either.
just a stock rebuild with a mild cam and a Performer RPM intake with a 3310 carb, headers, and cheap 2.5" dual exhaust with glasspacks. with the 3.31 gears and a TH350, it ran hard and got decent mileage.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Team Camaro Tech > First Generation Camaro Info and Tech - 1967- 1969 "Where it all started" > Engine      Current Topic: big block chevy 402
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.