GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old Jan 23rd, 09, 12:31 PM

Matt

Default Moser Crate 12-Bolt Rear End

Hey I have a '68 Camaro which has a transplanted 70's 8.5" 10-bolt. Since the time of purchase it had a minor right axle-seal leak, which has now developed into a large leak. The rotor, caliper, and inner rim are covered in diff. oil with saturated brake dust. The gear ratio is approx. 2.56 - 2.73, which is not a very good combination for my ZZ383/built TH350/2500stall TCI-breakaway-converter combo. It is an open rear end.

Note: I am planning on swapping to a Tremec TKO-600 w/ ~2.87 first gear and .64 OD so this is the trans that the gears should be matched to.

Now that the axle has a major leak, I do not think its worth it to save it, as I would have to put a lot of money in to build this 10-bolt. Rather, I am thinking of purchasing a Moser built 12-bolt housing with 3.73 gears and an Eaton posi.

Would this be a good choice for my engine/trans?

Will this actually bolt in without severe modification, as I have no welding experience or equipment, and only have access a floor jack/stands?

I have Wilwood Disc Brakes on all four corners right now. In the rear I have the Wilwood Dynalite Pro (Jegs Part # 950-140-7141) Solid Rotor brake kit.

Will the Moser Rear end require a different wilwood kit? Do they sell custom rear end packages with the brakes already installed?

Thanks a lot for the help,
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 23rd, 09, 12:45 PM
Senior Tech

Freddie

Default Re: Moser Crate 12-Bolt Rear End

The Moser rear end will bolt right in. If you order the 12 bolt with the right housing ends and parts then the brakes will bolt on too. I'm a Moser dealer and I'd be happy to help you with this. biggearhead@bellsouth.net
Old Jan 23rd, 09, 01:48 PM
Senior Tech

Another option is rebuilding an 8.5 10 bolt from a 70-74? Nova, Ventura, Omega, and the Buick equivalent, who's name eludes me. This rear end and leaf spring mounts are dimensionally the same as the 1st gen Camaro's, so it will bolt right in. Posi's from 2nd gen camaro/trans am will fit it, and so will will the ring and pinions. Because of this, it can be built inexpensively. Because its an 8.5 and not an 8.2, it can be built to handle the power of your engine. Plus, you can probably bolt your rear discs to it without issue.
Old Jan 23rd, 09, 03:21 PM
Senior Tech

Freddie

He said that he already has an 8.5 in the car, but didn't want to put more money into it. I agree that the 8.5 is a good rear end and can be built very strong. It is the next best thing to a 12 bolt.

If the 8.5 is replaced you will not have any trouble selling it to someone on this board. They are very popular for the first gen Camaros. Original 12 bolts are very hard to find and afford, and the Moser is a little over $2000 now, so the 8.5 is a cheaper alternative. There are several upgrades for this rear end that make it stronger, such as 30 spline axles. The axle tubes need to be welded if it will be abused.
Old Jan 23rd, 09, 06:45 PM
Senior Tech

Tom

I had a 8.5 in a 6 second 1/8th mile 67 and never broke it. If I were you I'd keep the 10 bolt. You can rebuild it for half what the Moser 12 bolt cost.
Old Jan 24th, 09, 04:49 AM
Senior Tech

Freddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldrocker View Post
You can rebuild it for half what the Moser 12 bolt cost.
That is true!
Old Jan 31st, 09, 11:41 AM

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldrocker View Post
I had a 8.5 in a 6 second 1/8th mile 67 and never broke it. If I were you I'd keep the 10 bolt. You can rebuild it for half what the Moser 12 bolt cost.
Alright that sounds like a good idea as I am on a fairly tight budget as it is.

So if I rebuild the current unit I have, I am going to be replacing the axles, ring/pinion, carrier, etc. I have my choice set on an Eaton posi and 3.50-3.55 rear gears.

What spline count for the carrier/axles? Are there any recommendations for which brand and type axles I should purchase (stock type c-clip or c-clip eliminated)?

P.S. This is a 100% performance street car which will always be using street tires.

Thanks a lot!
Matt
Old Jan 31st, 09, 12:07 PM
Senior Tech

Freddie

I would use a 30 spline Eaton posi with 30 spline Moser c clip axles. The gear choices for the 8.5 ithat are close to your choice are 3.23, 3.42 and 3.73. There isn't a 3.50 or 3.55 for this one, that I know of.

There are some things to keep in mind when building the 8.5. The first thing is that the plug welds on the axle tubes are not very good. The 8.5 is known for spinning the tubes in the center casting. Here is something to look at. http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showth...ing+axle+tubes As for c clip eliminators, I don't like them on a street car. If you want to get rid of the c clips then the Moser housing ends with 9 inch Ford axle bearings is the way to go.

If you need any of these parts let me know. I'm a Moser dealer and I've built many of the Nova 8.5 rear ends like this.
Old Jan 31st, 09, 02:14 PM

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
I would use a 30 spline Eaton posi with 30 spline Moser c clip axles. The gear choices for the 8.5 ithat are close to your choice are 3.23, 3.42 and 3.73. There isn't a 3.50 or 3.55 for this one, that I know of.

There are some things to keep in mind when building the 8.5. The first thing is that the plug welds on the axle tubes are not very good. The 8.5 is known for spinning the tubes in the center casting. Here is something to look at. http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showth...ing+axle+tubes As for c clip eliminators, I don't like them on a street car. If you want to get rid of the c clips then the Moser housing ends with 9 inch Ford axle bearings is the way to go.

If you need any of these parts let me know. I'm a Moser dealer and I've built many of the Nova 8.5 rear ends like this.

Alright thanks for the advice. I will go with the Moser C-clip axles and 30-spline eaton posi as advised.

As for welding the center section to the axle tubes, I have no welding experience or equipment, so I would have to outsource this to a shop. Any estimate on how much this would cost and if it is truly worth doing?

I will be using a TKO-600 w/ 2.87 first gear and .64 OD, I am basically torn between the 3.42's and the 3.73's because my ideal gear choice was roughly right in between the two. I am thinking 3.42's personally just for a bit extra fuel economy and a lighter cruise (I am using a zz383 so there is already plenty of torque). Any suggestions?

P.S. gearhead when I am getting ready to purchase the parts I'll contact you.

Thanks for the help!
Matt
Old Jan 31st, 09, 02:21 PM
Senior Tech

Al

Dutchman here in Portland does it for $75, so that should get you in the ballparl.

http://www.dutchmanms.com/pricesheet.html#Anchor-65144
Old Feb 1st, 09, 05:45 AM
Senior Tech

Freddie

Yea, $75 is about what I charge to do it. Check the plug welds on your housing and see how they look. Most of them are pretty bad. If the plug welds break then the tubes will rotate in the housing. This can cause some damage to the rear end houisng, drive shaft and floor of the car. If it rotates far enough it can pull the drive shaft out of the transmission and drop it on the ground. This can cause the car to pole vault.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement