Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

Old Feb 17th, 09, 08:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jim

Default Line Lock Install?

I wanna put in a line Lock. It should go well with my new (to be here Friday) Nitto 555r Drag Radials!

Never done one, nor paid much attention to other installs.
Stick Shift car, so I need to put it in the front brakes to hold them locked.

For the cleanest and easiest install, I'd like to splice the solenoid into the short line between the master and the distribution block. This would light the brake light when the line lock was engaged. I'd like to come up with a bracket to attach the solenoid directly to the existing distribution block, and keep it tight to the master, not over on the inner fender.

Any suggestions on a particular line lock solenoid to use?

What about a switch?
I've seen some various shaped big ugly things attached to the stick, kinda yucky. Perhaps a shifter ball or Tee handle with the switch built in?
Or just put the switch "somewhere else"?
Is a second switch needed / recommended to lock out the system and prevent accidental use?

wow, they do still make these http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku Not sure I like the T handle, but the black shifter balls with the button on top look both yucky and dangerous.

Let's see some pics of line lock installs, along with your usual good advise?

Jimragtop.com New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 17th, 09, 08:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jim

Default Re: Line Lock Install?

Damn... found a very trick white 5 speed ball, with the switch not coming out of the top, but it's for mustangs and has a 12mm metric thread...
http://www.hurst-shifters.com/hurst-...T-KNOB-5-SPEED

Jimragtop.com New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Old Feb 17th, 09, 08:46 PM
Senior Tech

Andy

Jim just wire it to a toggle switch that is easily accessed. Flip the switch on pump up the pedal when you are ready to release just flip off. Thats how a couple of my buds have theirs set up. Me on the other hand have the Hurst ball with the button sticking out the top. I roll into the box use my thumb to push the button pump the pedal go thru the gears and release. Cant help you on mounting the solenoid I no longer have a block but use the cheap Jegs model with no problems. Have fun and good luck.
Old Feb 17th, 09, 09:59 PM
Senior Tech

Harley D

Jim I think we may make a hard core drag racer out of you yet. Next thing you know you'll be asking about back half-in the car for a 4-link and 12 point cage. Then you'll probably try to beet Eric at the next Jegs All Stars Northern event.
Hurst has a couple universal shifter knobs with the button off the side. They have a classic white for a 6 speed and a black one without a pattern. As for the switch yes just put a toggle under the dash as a main kill switch for the system and a primary activation switch on the shifter. That way your not trying to reach or fumble under the dash when she chucks another drive shaft. Speaking of which with a line-lock and DR's did you ever add a drive shaft loop yet?
http://store.summitracing.com/largei...uu-1630052.jpg
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.7281/4-11.83@115.59
firstgens.com
Old Feb 18th, 09, 06:27 AM
Senior Tech

Paul

You can see mine in this picture (I guess I got rid of my distribution block as I have an adjustable proportioning valve for the back brakes there now):

http://www.stratagaz.com/67L30M35RS/67CamaroRSHSR03.jpg

The switch stays hidden in the ash tray when not in use...at the track I just pull it out of the ash tray and I'm set.
Old Feb 18th, 09, 07:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Skip

Jim please take pictures and post them with any info along the way. I'm right there with you and im gonna need to do the same.
Old Feb 18th, 09, 08:12 AM
Senior Tech

Jim

I have a hurst ball on my shifter with the button, powered through a toggle switch on my shifter cover (along with 5 other switches). I mounted the solenoid on the driver side fender well. Here is a pic.

Jim
Old Feb 18th, 09, 08:23 AM
Senior Tech

Andy

Is a second switch needed / recommended to lock out the system and prevent accidental use?

No the valve is just a one way valve that keeps the pressure in the line. It would not affect your braking unless you are holding the button down while applying the brake.
Old Feb 18th, 09, 08:29 AM
Senior Tech

Harley D

The only reason I suggested the second switch is if he goes with the one one the shifter knob as a safety precaution because it is a manual gear box there is a possibility in traffic that something could happen is all.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.7281/4-11.83@115.59
firstgens.com
Old Feb 18th, 09, 07:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jim

Paul, thanks for the pic, but it's real hard to see the plumbing. What brand solenoid is that?

Jim, yours is similar to what I have to deal with.

ok, here's what mine looks like now:

I'm thinking to get the smallest solenoid there is, and mount it to the distribution valve bracket, on the inboard side.
I'll take the line out of the front of the master through between the master and the block, into the solenoid. Then another line around and back into the block.

These fitting are all different sizes. The tubing is 1/8", but the fittings are all different. Can anyone tell me what size thread those fitings are for the front line into the master and the block?
I think I have a few more adapters that came with that booster...

Old Feb 18th, 09, 07:26 PM
Senior Tech

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
Paul, thanks for the pic, but it's real hard to see the plumbing. What brand solenoid is that?
Sorry about the pic, that valve is the "Summit Racing" brand, whatever that is, LOL!

Quote:
I'm thinking to get the smallest solenoid there is, and mount it to the distribution valve bracket, on the inboard side.

I'll take the line out of the front of the master through between the master and the block, into the solenoid. Then another line around and back into the block.
I hope you have one of those "super tight radius" benders...I don't so I couldn't get too fancy.

Quote:
These fitting are all different sizes. The tubing is 1/8", but the fittings are all different. Can anyone tell me what size thread those fitings are for the front line into the master and the block?
I know what size they are...it's in my head, but it just won't come out and let me type it right now, sorry Jim.
Old Feb 18th, 09, 07:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jim

hmmm, I did a lil math, and my shifter has a 3/8-24 thread... the "mustang" 5 speed ball says it is 12.5mm by 1.75mm. Unless my math skills are challenged, that's bigger than the 3/8", and an adapter sleeve probably exists. I remember one of the shifter handles I've bought this decade came with a mess of adapter sleeves...

Is my math workin, I can adapt that 12.5mm thread to my 3/8-24 stick?

Old Feb 18th, 09, 08:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Steve

I mounted mine to the bracket holding the distribution block under the master cylinder.

'69 Camaro - 640HP 427 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Cola crank, Lunati 6" Pro Mod rods, JE pistons (13.8:1), Total Seal rings, hand ported AFR 210 heads, Jesel belt drive, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .660" lift, Dart single plane, 1050 Dominator, Stef's #1705R oil pan, NOS big shot, Lemons 2" primary 3-1/2" collector, Coan 8" converter
Old Feb 19th, 09, 06:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jim

Perfect Steve, that's exactly how I want to do it!
I'll print that out and get out the tubing bender!!!

ok, just to make a note, it looks like a weatherhead 202x2 goes from 1/8" male npt to 1/8" tube inverted flare with a 5/16 - 28 thread.

http://www.beltpower.com/WeatherheadTube.htm is a link to weatherhead catalogs

Last edited by JimM; Feb 19th, 09 at 07:20 PM.
Old Feb 19th, 09, 07:38 PM
Senior Tech

Andy

When I ordered mine from Jegs they sold the tubeing kit with it with all the fittings so I never really paid any attention to what size I used. Sounds like you have it under control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
line lock, weatherhead