V6 to V8 swap in a 94 - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

Old Mar 18th, 09, 07:30 AM
Team Member

Ted

Default V6 to V8 swap in a 94

What is all required to put a V8 into a '94 that has a V6 in it now? Is the computer and wiring all the same? Suspension? Exhaust? A friend of my son wants me to look for a V8 for him but I thought I would ask first what it all would take to do the swap. Any special motors to look for from a junk yard?
Old Mar 18th, 09, 07:46 AM
Retired

Dennis

Default Re: V6 to V8 swap in a 94

Ted - the practical advice is sell the V6 car and put the money toward a V8 car, you'll be money ahead this way. An LT1 out of a '93 - '97 Camaro would be the easiest retrofit but you need everything from cooling system, engine, trans and computer to get started. My understanding is the engine cradle (like a sub-frame) is different from the 6cyl to the 8. It's not going to be like yanking the inline 6 out of a 1st gen, changing the mounts and dropping in a small block...

By the time you finish funding this swap you could have sold the '94 and bought a decent '98 Z28 with an LS1 and made the 1st installment on insurance...

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Old Mar 18th, 09, 08:05 AM
Team Member

Ted

Thank you DjD for the heads up. I will let him know. I did not know what all would be involved. Thought I would ask before he got to exicted about swapping out engines. Besides he is just a year out of high school and I'm sure he doesn't have tons of $.
Old Mar 18th, 09, 05:51 PM
Senior Tech

Creight

Yep, he would be money ahead to sell the V6 car and buy a Z28.
Dennis, you are correct. The K-members are different between the 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder cars.
Old Mar 20th, 09, 07:24 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
Ted - the practical advice is sell the V6 car and put the money toward a V8 car, you'll be money ahead this way. An LT1 out of a '93 - '97 Camaro would be the easiest retrofit but you need everything from cooling system, engine, trans and computer to get started. My understanding is the engine cradle (like a sub-frame) is different from the 6cyl to the 8. It's not going to be like yanking the inline 6 out of a 1st gen, changing the mounts and dropping in a small block...

By the time you finish funding this swap you could have sold the '94 and bought a decent '98 Z28 with an LS1 and made the 1st installment on insurance...
yup.. not to mention changing the springs, dash gauges, driveshaft, exhaust, fuel system (you might be able to get away without doing that though)
Old Mar 20th, 09, 08:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jim

I 2nd buying a complete V8 4th gen VS replacing a 6 with an 8. I've had 3 4th gens (96 Z28 Vert and 98 and 2002 Z28) and even changing between the LT1 and LS1 isn't worth the cost.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn
Old Mar 25th, 09, 07:42 AM
Senior Tech

here is a link i just found that might help anyone who wants to do the swap

http://www.tacreationsusa.com/3_4_3_8_v6_to_ls1.htm
Old Mar 25th, 09, 07:28 PM
Senior Tech

DONNIE

done it. i got a z hit in the rear and swaped it over, alot of work had to swap everything but not that hard took about two 8 hour days with lift, nothing is the same you need a whole parts car . cheaper to just buy one that has a 8 in it but this v6 body had 60 grand in custom body and airbags and all that crap on it for the guy to start over
Old Apr 6th, 09, 12:59 AM

TRAVIS

I was thinking about doing the same thing swaping out the V6 for a V8. But after this i am reconsidering doing that. Someone told me that a 350 would fit right in place because the mounting brakets are the same and stuff. of course you have to redo the exoughst(sp)
Was i lied to or what?
Old Apr 6th, 09, 10:55 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukesmaster View Post
I was thinking about doing the same thing swaping out the V6 for a V8. But after this i am reconsidering doing that. Someone told me that a 350 would fit right in place because the mounting brakets are the same and stuff. of course you have to redo the exoughst(sp)
Was i lied to or what?
yes, they will not fit on the v6 and ls1 k member, but they might be able to be used with the lt1 style, im not 100% sure
Old Apr 7th, 09, 02:40 PM

TRAVIS

What should i do now. There has to be another way to improve the performance in my V6 I love my are to much to sell to buy a V8. And at the same time i hate having so little power.
Old Apr 7th, 09, 08:30 PM
Senior Tech

DONNIE

http://www.tacreationsusa.com/3_4_3_8_v6_to_lt1.htm if it a 3.4 nothing look for 93-97 camaro z28 you can buy cheep that runs good but looks like hell swap it over like i said cheaper to buy a v8 car but there is a way to put a v8 in it look on ebay or a place like that for a whole running car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement