GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Old Apr 5th, 09, 08:48 AM

Shawn

Default 540 BBC Ideas

So far, I have picked out a lightweight crankshaft and an aluminum block. I need help finding lightweight, but strong, pistons to use, and which rod length. I'd like to maintain a safe compression for the addition of a supercharger sometime in the future. Also, can anyone recommend a pair of aluminum heads big enough to fit a 540?

(I had this listed under "454 SBC Build" but seeing that it grew from a 454 SBC into a 540 BBC I've decided to make a new topic, I was unable to delete the old topic.)

Dart Chevy Aluminum Big Block
Material: Aluminum
Deck Height: 9.800 - 10.200 - 10.400
Cyl. Bore Diameter: 4.500
Caps: Steel or Ductile Iron
Cam Bore: Standard
Weight: 140 lb.
Part Number: Varies
Price: $6266.75
http://www.dartheads.com/products/en...ig-blocks.html

Callies Magnum XL Crankshaft - BBC
Stroke: 4.250
Main Bearing: 409 and Conventional BBC Main Bearing Diameters
Rod Journals: 2.200 - 2.100 - 2.000 Rod Journal Diameters
Weight: 58 lb.
Part Number: Varies
Price: ???
http://www.callies.com/crankshafts/magnumxl1.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 5th, 09, 10:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Matt

Default Re: 540 BBC Ideas

Based on my research, it gets a little fuzzy configuring a motor for a later on to be added super charger and no further mods. Especially the compression part. Supercharges like the compression anywhere from 7's to 8's. Also the piston ring setups tend to have bigger clearances for supercharged applications. Having said, naturally aspirated motors tend to run a little "looser" with the two mods above. If prolonged that may not be the best thing for a naturally aspirated motor. You may also end up blowing a little smoke out the rear. Of course two different flavors of pistons/rings would potentially solve this issue but that goes back to the original point that it won't be as simple as slapping a super charger onto the existing setup. This is something I learned from Arron Johnson the owner of Bad *** Racing Engines...
Old Apr 5th, 09, 10:53 AM

Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlek131 View Post
Based on my research, it gets a little fuzzy configuring a motor for a later on to be added super charger and no further mods. Especially the compression part. Supercharges like the compression anywhere from 7's to 8's. Also the piston ring setups tend to have bigger clearances for supercharged applications. Having said, naturally aspirated motors tend to run a little "looser" with the two mods above. If prolonged that may not be the best thing for a naturally aspirated motor. You may also end up blowing a little smoke out the rear. Of course two different flavors of pistons/rings would potentially solve this issue but that goes back to the original point that it won't be as simple as slapping a super charger onto the existing setup. This is something I learned from Arron Johnson the owner of Bad *** Racing Engines...
Good point. Lets forget about the supercharger for now since its going to be a few years before I put one on.
Old Apr 5th, 09, 11:53 AM

Shawn

I've been looking at some pistons and cylinder heads. Will everything work well together? How long should the piston rod be? I have a choice in deck height of 9.800, 10.200, or 10.400. Also, I think this engine will provide enough power without a supercharger, I doubt I'll add one now.

Mahle PowerPak Piston Kit
BB-Chevy PowerPak Piston Kit
Forged 2618 High Strength Aluminum Alloy
Bore: 4.500"
Pin Diameter: .990"
+13cc Dome Volume
Precision Ring Grooves: Included 1/16", 1/16", 3/16" Rings
http://www.jegs.com/p/Mahle/756703/10002/-1#bbchevy

Dart BBC PRO1 Aluminum Heads
Item: BBC PRO1 325 Assembled
Material: Aluminum
Intake Port: 325cc
Chamber Volume: 121cc
Intake/Exhaust Valves: 2.25/1.88 or 2.30/1.88
Springs: 1.550 Single or 1.550 Double or 1.625 Double
http://www.dartheads.com/products/cy...ro1-heads.html
Old Apr 5th, 09, 12:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Matt

A couple good reads regarding heads.... tons of more good info on this site.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...ht=502+stroker
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ight=540+heads
Old Apr 5th, 09, 12:58 PM
Senior Tech

What kind of car ? What are u going to do with it ?
Old Apr 5th, 09, 01:47 PM

Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdoug View Post
What kind of car ? What are u going to do with it ?
1979 Z28 Camaro. I'd like it to be a strip/street car. Something I could drive to the track.
Old Apr 5th, 09, 02:11 PM

Bob

Having built and run a 540, if you are going through the expense of the alloy block, and you have the various deck heights available, why not just build a 604? Its probably not that much more money in the long run, and it will absolutely stomp anything out there. Keep in mind, with the tall deck, you will be into special custom headers,and you also need to watch the engine height in relation to the hood and carb. That extra .400 height of the tall deck can make a big difference. You could also build a 572 with the bore/stroke of 4.5 x 4.75. As for heads, I'd bolt on a set of AFRs. Headers will need to be 2 1/8 to allow it to breathe. Cams become a bit more tricky with mega-cubes. They need a step of two above a normal 454 based engine. My blown 540 used a low lift (.612) hydraulic roller, but sported a 256/264 duration @ 0.50, which is pretty long, yet it idled really well. The big cubes can take a longer duration cam. Oh, and the 540 blown is just ridiculous in terms of torque. Better have lots of rear tires, because you'll burn through a bunch of them.

Hope this helps.

BelAir Bob

69 Z28 X33 D80 Dusk Blue
69 Z28 X33 Rally Green

http://www.belairbobs.com
Old Apr 5th, 09, 03:17 PM
Senior Tech

Hi Shawn, that's a bit high on the block, shop around some.

I don't recommend a "lightweight" crank in a potential "blown" unit?? Also need to "double-key" the crank ahead of time. If you do it now you will not need to remove the it to add the blower!

Be very careful when working with those blocks, the BB aluminum's, they require special attention to the honing process. Special honing plate and special fasteners to mount the plate, we use an "O" ringed plate against the sleeves to stabilize them during honing! Att'n to detail here is critical to effective ring sealing! We also use "Speed-Pro" standard-tension/file-fit rings

The decks need to be "CNC'd" ONLY for the correct finish and the ONLY (head) gaskets we are now using on these builds are the "Fel-Pro" MLS's. At 1300/1450 HP we have NO water leaks whatsover.

All the fasteners used in these blocks require "bullet's" to be correct!

The sleeves should be "seated" with some heat before any machining begins!

On a side note, after a call I received today, I would use only "Diamond's" pistons in any future builds of this type! I'll have more info about this "call" at a later time. It involves a 4000# ride (blown) running 9.20's a year ago.

The photo below is the Dart block, the Brodix heads, a set of "Kook's" S.S. headers (2.375" primaries), and the good old "nylon timing set" that is inside this unit again now!!

(Add) Try to avoid using ANY "4032" pistons on the "blown" platform!! Use only the "2618's!!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. If you go the "blown" route and are "going through the hood" you should consider the "Whipple" line, we see an add'l 250/350 HP over the conventional "roots" blowers. Takes less HP to turn it and has a much cooler charge going in!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement