A/C evaporator replacement, 4th Gen - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

Old Apr 15th, 09, 07:02 AM
Tech Team

Doug

Default A/C evaporator replacement, 4th Gen

Okay this is a tough one;...anyone had problems with a leaky evaporator in their 4th generation Camaro??
I'am sure (know) that removal and replacement is going to be gut-wrenching therefore considering bringing to a (local) reputable GM dealer to do the work. Haven't got the estimate yet, but am certain it will be costly.
None-the-less the car is a jewel so it's got to be done,...summer is on the way!!

...thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 15th, 09, 07:28 AM
Senior Tech

mike

Default Re: A/C evaporator replacement, 4th Gen

are you sure its the evap coil??? iv never heard of one leaking but who knows. its going to be bigtime to remove the dash. they will have to strip the car to the firewall. i still have the original evap in my 73 wth working air. maybe a second opinion. try to isolate it and pressure test it with nitrogen
Old Apr 15th, 09, 07:48 AM

<Jake 68's Rule

Check to make sure the evap is leaking. If system gas pressure is low, recharge it to allow the compressor to function and let the A/C system run for 10-15 minutes. If you get the can with a gauge, pressurize the suction side for 30 PSI. R-134A is easy because the fitting is a quick disconnect.

Then, take an electronic leak detector and shove the detector into the dash vent. If the detector goes on, then you know you have a leaky evap. Any HVAC repairman would like a cup of coffee for doing the 1 minute check.
Old Apr 15th, 09, 08:02 AM
Tech Team

Doug

Hey Everett,...thanks for the feedback!
After checking & recharging the system, my mechanic, (independent who I do trust) informed me about the leak in the evaporator, but he could not tell me how bad it was. That was roughly 1-month ago, now the A/C is not blowing cold air.
Yes I agree, a second opinion is best at this point. I'll follow through with my local GM dealer to see what their analysis/opinion might be.
(you're right, I do know that it will be a tuff, costly repair job. The car is worth it to me!
Old Apr 15th, 09, 08:39 AM
Tech Team

Doug

Everett or Mike:
...either of you know where I can obtain an "exploded" mechanical cut-away sheet that shows the locaton of the evaporator with respect to other things, i.e. engine, firewall, dashboard area, etc?

Thanks, Doug
Old Apr 23rd, 09, 02:16 PM
Tech Team

Doug

After researching a couple websites I came across the Mitchell Repair guidelines used by most all the dealerships. I signed on for a week's subscription to their manuals and learned a good deal, but most of the data described is way over my head; (highly technical, probably for all the factory trained Techs).
I printed-out a couple of repair blogs for removal and installation of the Evaporator which is pretty well defined, (step-by-step). I even was able to print a exploded view of the A/C system which is what I mainly needed for orientation purposes.
For anyone interested check out eautorepair.net; although you'll be asked to sign-up for a subscription.

Doug
Old Apr 23rd, 09, 04:34 PM

<Jake 68's Rule

If you have a weeks worth od subscription, I'd download as much as I could on any vehicle I own.

Glad Mitchell Repair. This is the info I use from a local shop. I print the info I need and I buy pizza for them.
Leaky evap's suck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement