Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old May 16th, 09, 10:08 PM
Senior Tech

Default Painting over original 1969 Lacquer paint?

Hey guys,
I have a 69 Camaro that was painted 20 years ago with base/clear enamel over a lacquer paint job. The entire car was shot with a primer sealer before the enamel was layed down but now there is an issue. As the car has been sitting so long, over time, there are several spots where the paint has lifted making it look like many smalll bubbles under the paint. Obviously the car needs to be painted again but what would be the recommendations for the new paint? Take it down to the original factory lacquer and then what?

Last edited by g356gear; May 16th, 09 at 10:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 09, 10:21 PM
Senior Tech

DONNIE

Default Re: Painting over original 1969 Lacquer paint?

all the way down to the medal strip the whole thing
Old May 16th, 09, 10:36 PM
Senior Tech

The car was painted once back in the late 70's and the color of the car was changed at that point. Problem is that the car had a ton of hours of body work getting it laser straight with that paint job. I think that is why it wasn't taken down when it was refreshed in 89, just sanded down, primed and re-shot. Taking it down to the metal is not really an option for me.
I do however want to change back to the original color.
Old May 16th, 09, 10:50 PM
Senior Tech

DONNIE

the new b/c paints dont work well with the old stuff makes it pull up and fish eye. they attack each other
Old May 17th, 09, 12:25 AM
Senior Tech

ED

you sure 20 years ago it was base/clear enamel and not urethane? I would have thought the enamel would have held up without material conflict's at least. Maybe these bubbles are a metal rust concern or moisture getting in any body filler under paint. Changing color again will be a large job because you will need to disassemble body just to get good adhesion in the jams. If this is a keeper nows the time to strip it. I liked the old base/clear PPG because they had a activator for the base too and i have seen cars that had problems later with out it. Dupont says you can use their chromapremier hardener in their base. Also too much paint, filler and sealer causes problems. Material mills should be kept at minimum
Old May 17th, 09, 05:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by g356gear View Post
Taking it down to the metal is not really an option for me.
I hate to say it but if you want to do it right...and only have to do it once...it needs to become the ONLY option. That way you'll know exactly what you have to begin with and won't be covering up mistakes and problems from 20 years ago.

ISO a 69 Camaro project....roller OK...please contact me if via e-mail at dave@barefootdave.com if you have one to sell. TY!
Old May 17th, 09, 09:57 AM
Senior Tech

Don

BARE METAL. Period;

Trust me I too feel the "pain" of that statement, but I am in the same boat. I took mine all the way down; I very glad I did too. It should be shot in about a month or two, but I am very satisfied knowing I am not taking any chances.......

Why put in GOBS of time and very hard work to "hope" it all goes alright?

Just put in the time and go to bare metal. If you have to do a bit of body work, so be it.......it will be fresh.....

Good luck.

See some progress below!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...t/IMG_0977.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...IMG_1648-1.jpg
Old May 17th, 09, 10:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Gary

I'd guess the problem was with the enamel that was shot in the '70's.. it was common at that time to use either 'straight enamel', or acrylic enamel, and then clear over it. but to answer the original poster's question, if the *factory lacquer' is in good shape, no checking, cracking, etc... then almost anything can be painted over it without problems, but it's a good idea to seal it in with an epoxy primer. If that is done, I wouldn't tihnk it would be an issue to leave 'spots' of factory primer or lacquer.. just block sand down til all the enamel and any other bad paint is gone, and use epoxy over it... then do the new primer/paint...
Old May 17th, 09, 10:52 AM
Senior Tech

I know in my heart that's probably the best way to go. Any recommendations for the new type of paint?

What's the best way to get this thing stripped? Chemical? Sanding?

The undercarriage, interior, and engine compartment are already finished and fully detailed.
Old May 17th, 09, 10:56 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Z28-RS View Post
I'd guess the problem was with the enamel that was shot in the '70's.. it was common at that time to use either 'straight enamel', or acrylic enamel, and then clear over it. but to answer the original poster's question, if the *factory lacquer' is in good shape, no checking, cracking, etc... then almost anything can be painted over it without problems, but it's a good idea to seal it in with an epoxy primer. If that is done, I wouldn't tihnk it would be an issue to leave 'spots' of factory primer or lacquer.. just block sand down til all the enamel and any other bad paint is gone, and use epoxy over it... then do the new primer/paint...
The paint that was shot in the 70's, I am sure was lacquer again. When it was reshot in 89, the 70's paint was badly checked and cracked on the roof, fenders, trunk, etc. It was was sanded down to minimize the cracked paint and then shot with a primer filler before being painted with the base/clear enamel that us currently on the car.
Old May 17th, 09, 12:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Gary

If you use a chemical stripper on the paint, then you'd better remove ALL the paint, down to metal, and then make sure it's neutralized totally...... and then wipe down with lacquer thinner on the bare metal, before you apply anything new
Old May 17th, 09, 03:45 PM
Senior Tech

James

If you dont want to have to totally disassemble it then have it soda blasted...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement