Team Camaro Tech banner

How do you put gas in a 68?

18K views 42 replies 29 participants last post by  69-Pace 
#1 ·
I must be an idiot! Every time I put gas in it pours out everywhere. Not sure if other states have the same stupid gas pumps we have in California, but this is a nightmare.

Anyone have a trick or gizmo to make something this simple work better?

-shoe

#2 ·
I must be an idiot! Every time I put gas in it pours out everywhere. Not sure if other states have the same stupid gas pumps we have in California, but this is a nightmare.

Anyone have a trick or gizmo to make something this simple work better?

-shoe
I generally have the nozzle upside down (handle up) and hold it gently to maintain even pressure on the filler neck. If that doesn't work try the nozzle with the handle down, but still holding it to maintain even pressure on the filler neck. In other words you need to play with it and watch for leaking fuel.

Oh, and some nozzles just don't work no matter how hard you try.

#4 ·
yup....very very slowly.

my 63 nova is the same way

#5 ·
Some stations have nozzles that are more Camaro friendly. I have learned the ones in my local area to go to and more importantly the ones to avoid. When traveling away from home I use plenty of paper towels stuffed into the bumper to soak up the slosh.

There is really no way to look cool when filling an early Camaro with gas.:p

#8 ·
should be about the same as my Nova- i always had to have the nozzle about half way out, and never at the fastest speed. i also learned to listen to the gas as it was going in, and got to the point where i could stop it just before it sit 1/4 gallon of gas all over the ground.

#9 ·
I do the "listen" method, also, to keep from over-filling. Further, most nozzles in Houston will not work if pointed parallel to the ground, so I slide a piece of clear plastic tubing (the same piece from my "JAZ Jug") over the end of the nozzle. That allows me to keep the nozzle at a slight downward angle, while the clear plastic tubing 'routes' the fuel to the filler neck.

#11 ·
I went to a fuel cell in the trunk. When filling the stock tank it was a pain, and at the track I was "talked" to more than once for spilling gas at launch. 3 caps didn't fix the spilling and a new neck with same results.

#12 ·
Several answers here: Everything is new. No neck or tube leaks anywhere yet. Gas just keeps pouring out of recovery hose at every angle I try. Truth is if I take 30 minutes to fuel it there isn't as much leaking...lol. We are doing the paper towel thing. It is messing up my clear coat.

I like the idea of the clear tube as an adapter. Maybe I can get a length of 2" fuel rated clear marine tubing and try that approach. Anything has to be better than spilling gas everywhere.

Latest pics: http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/523/68_Finished_-_Web.jpg

#13 ·
I don't remember having a problem with my old '68. But my current '69 is a real pain. I'm constantly washing the backside of license plate with gas. I'm also having the change the gas cap about every month because it won't hold pressure and leaks badly on acceleration.

#14 · (Edited)
If your not from CA, you may have difficulty understanding the problem and my response.

The 68 Camaro just wasn't designed to be used with a fuel recovery hose type nozzle that CA requires. Some stations spill less than others, but there was always some spillage.
I used to have the same problem until I found a special funnel that allows me to refuel at any pump, full speed, with zero spill.
This funnel came with one of those poorly designed Blitz spill proof gas cans, another CARB requirement disaster.

The funnel was designed to allow the spill proof spout refill on-road vehicles. It's about 12" long, 1" diameter on one end, 1/2" diameter on the other with a flange. Sorry, I don't have a picture.
Unfortunately this gas can is no longer manufactured so I don't think you can get the exact funnel I have, but perhaps another funnel will work. Try Pep Boys and see what they have. Maybe try one that looks like this:

#19 ·
#20 ·
Some complain of this and it's not a CA thing or a gas nozzle thing or everyone would have the problem. I know plenty of '68 owners in CA that can fill their tank without spillage... I also know how frustrating it is to have fuel spill all over... Here's a couple previous posts!

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=143738&highlight=filling+gen

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=140409&highlight=filler+neck
I agree, it's not a CA or nozzle thing. I'm in TX and have gas spillage problems

#21 ·
My 68 Novas spill over if you fill them up. I usually watch the fuel gauge through the back window (that means my engine is running, some states may not allow that) and only fill to about 3/4 full. If I am on a long trip, i'm gonna stop before a full tank would have been used anyway. On the novas it's hard to even listen for the full fill up... It sneaks up on you quick... I have the original cap on my Nova and it doesn't leak much at all. I recently parked uphill in a driveway with a mostly full tank and I did notice a drip at the cap but that wouldn't have even been noticeable taking off during driving.

Tommy :)

#22 ·
If the gas pump nozzle has two hoses connected to it,it sucks.I remember from when I lived in Cali....In NC they all have just the one hose and you will never spill a drop if done carefully
I'm sure in time all states will have the 2nd vapor recovery hose..:confused:....doesn't make a lot of sense when you spill "vapors" every time you fill.

#28 ·
I live in California and most of the time have a heck of a time filling my '69 Camaro. As others have mentioned you have to fill the tank very slowly and listen for the tank being close to full so you can let go of the nozzle control. If I allow the hose nozzle to shut itself off I usually end up with gas all over the back of my license plate holder. I also have a heck of a time pulling the nozzle out of the filler neck when I'm done. I think that the problem is that the California nozzles are designed to work at an angle as I have no problem filling my '78 Camaro's tank. For first gens though where the nozzle is going straight in, not at an angle, it is one heck of a problem most of the time in filling the gas tank. I realize the reason for that troublesome rubber thing around the filler nozzle, but I think that going back to just the straight metal intake nozzle with no rubber around it would actually allow less gas into the atmosphere due to less gas being spilled during filling.

#29 ·
I fill the car the same way as I do a motorcycle. I put the nozzle in the tank and with the other hand, grab the plastic recovery part and pull it back manually so that it basically doesn't do anything and can't shut off the trigger anymore. You have to do the same thing on a bike or else it won't let you fill more than 3/4 of a tank. They probably don't like you doing this, but when keep the rubber recovery part pulled back you can control the fuel flow a lot better and go slower or faster. You still have to pay attention when you get near full and back off on the trigger. I still get minor spillage but overall works pretty darn good. Also on a 68 I hold the nozzle sideways or even almost upside down as much as possible when filling.

#30 ·
The rubber isn't there for fuel spill, it's there for fumes and cutting down on air polution...

I know my '69 isn't any different than any others and I use pumps all over the bay area and CA in my '69 so I know it's not the pumps. I had a '69 back in the late 70's and many friends had first gens and Novas. This gas pumping issue has been around for a long time. In the links I provided earlier I show drawings of what I believe is the issue and give clues to over coming the spillage. I haven't had an issue in years and many others locally and online have replied it's helped. I'm not on an ego trip over this just hate hearing people have problems over and over and am offering up something that might just help. If I can fill up without spillage so can the rest of you...

It's actually a small design flaw in the car not the ever changing pump and hose configurations. Like I said it has plagued some 1st gen and Nova owners from the get go, the car's the common denominator and some owners don't ever find it a problem but a few frustrated folk do...

#31 ·
The rubber isn't there for fuel spill, it's there for fumes and cutting down on air polution...

I know my '69 isn't any different than any others and I use pumps all over the bay area and CA in my '69 so I know it's not the pumps. I had a '69 back in the late 70's and many friends had first gens and Novas. This gas pumping issue has been around for a long time. In the links I provided earlier I show drawings of what I believe is the issue and give clues to over coming the spillage. I haven't had an issue in years and many others locally and online have replied it's helped. I'm not on an ego trip over this just hate hearing people have problems over and over and am offering up something that might just help. If I can fill up without spillage so can the rest of you...

It's actually a small design flaw in the car not the ever changing pump and hose configurations. Like I said it has plagued some 1st gen and Nova owners from the get go, the car's the common denominator and some owners don't ever find it a problem but a few frustrated folk do...
Dennis: I'm not sure which issue you're addressing - spillage when you get the the automatic shutoff, or dribbling while filling.

Trying to fill up my '68 (new filler neck, new filler to tank rubber connector) I get a constant dribble with a vapor recovery nozzle unless I'm extremely careful. No matter how hard I try with some nozzles, I just can't prevent the dribbling. When I go out of smog areas and use pumps with no vapor recovery I can fill that puppy up like it's a NASCAR pit stop. In other words, I don't think it's technique.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.