Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Old Sep 20th, 09, 09:26 PM
Senior Tech

Chad

Default Ls7 454 crate motor???

Hey guys, I am looking at a Chevelle with a LS7 crate motor. The current owner said the motor was purchased in 1975 and never ran. He recently brought the motor to a race engine shop and had the compression lowered to 9.5-1. the motor was dynoed at 460hp 500tq with the new pistons and cam.(the org pistons/cam come w/purchase). I spoke with engine builder today and they comfirmed that motor had never been ran prior to them getting it and that it was a LS7. It has the "xch" stamped on block.

My question for you guys: How much is this engine worth? for example, I can get a 383 built with similar hp/tq for $7000 at local builder, so is this motor worth any more or less?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 20th, 09, 10:20 PM
Senior Tech

Tom

Smile Re: Ls7 454 crate motor???

Maybe this comparison is better : http://www.sdparts.com/catalog/crate...454Engine.aspx

GM Performance Parts
ZZ454/440 440 Horsepower 454 Engine with Aluminum Heads
$6,000.00
69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 TPI transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
Old Sep 20th, 09, 10:33 PM
Senior Tech

Default Re: Ls7 454 crate motor???

When I was younger I bought a new crate LS7 for my 69 and ran it everyday and loved it.

If you want to sell it let me know.
Old Sep 20th, 09, 10:34 PM
Senior Tech

Chad

Thx, Tom....your right, that is a better comparison...i guess what im trying to figure out, is if an orginal LS7 is worth any more than a comparable modern crate motor....
Old Sep 20th, 09, 10:50 PM
Senior Tech

The modern engine has a lot more technology now days I would think.
I was just asking if you want to sell it because I had one of them a long time ago and would like another one for the right price.
Old Sep 21st, 09, 07:31 AM
Senior Tech

Rich

The LS7 was never installed in a passenger car,and your mid 70's block wont be of any desire to somebody doing a resto,but what you have is a basically the sum of the parts.With stroker kits and aftermarket blocks being the norm these days for bigblock race engines,you are looking at a $2000 short block plus whatever the heads are worth.As for modern stuff,even a really trick 383 would be hard pressed to make the torque and power on pump gas like that 454.All the modern stuff that is worth buying is in the heads for the most part.Long rods,trick pistons and lightweight cranks make for nickle and dime power increases,75 extra cubes and splayed valve heads make for dozens and dozens of horsepower increase.If you want to go mdern for a street car,keep the bigblock,add a set of modern large oval heads like the Edelbrock Performer RPM or AFR heads,a good dual plane intake and a hydraulic roller cam and hang on for 550 hp or more and never go over about 6200 rpm and have a near stock idle.If you want a rough idle and less driveablity,you could go over 650 hp with a solid roller and a single plain with rectangular heads.If your combo is speced for 9.5:1 with 118cc open heads,you can use the Edelbrock heads with 110 cc chambers,and get over 10:1 with aluminum heads and modern high swirl chambers.

Just something to think about.Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement