GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

Old Sep 22nd, 09, 11:56 AM

Scott

Default front seal leak on A6 a/c pump

Hi everyone. Were can I find good remain. A6 a/c compressor. I'm on my second one. I think there from an AC DELCO remain. The repair shop is an Napa Auto Center. The work is on month warranty. The front seal keeps leaking on it. I'm on my second one. Thanks Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 22nd, 09, 12:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

John

Default Re: front seal leak on A6 a/c pump

Find a good rebuilder that specializes in Auto A/C and have them do the rebuild. These A-6 compressors require a few special tools that if you don't have (and use right) will make or break the rebuild.
Good chance they will understand the importance of getting the two seal halves in place without the face damage that causes later leaks ...
You might consider sending it to one of the specialty firms like "Classic Auto Air" in Tampa, FL. - they do rebuilding and will performa nitrogen seal test prior to returning assuring it doesn't leak
Other V6 things - none of which float
Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Old Sep 22nd, 09, 05:08 PM
Senior Tech

Same problem here.
Old Sep 22nd, 09, 08:22 PM
Senior Tech

Search the term "A6" on the site below. You will find what you need here. Looking through their forum, you may find someone who can do the work.

http://www.ackits.com/
Old Sep 23rd, 09, 11:37 PM
Senior Tech

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by stope4 View Post
Search the term "A6" on the site below. You will find what you need here. Looking through their forum, you may find someone who can do the work.

http://www.ackits.com/
Thats a good site for the shade tree A/C repairman.

I would just bite the bullet and buy a new Compressor. Not a reman. More expensive but wont leak. Those A6 compressors will leak a little around the seal because of the design of that seal. However, not enough that you have to recharge it every year or more often.

And that reminds me.... those of you with A/C with the A6 compressor...be sure to turn it on once or twice during the winter, that keeps that seal oiled and keeps it from drying out which increases the chances it will leak.
Old Sep 25th, 09, 01:35 PM
Senior Tech

Parkbrau, not everyone can afford what you can afford. If you get the right seals and have the right tools, the repair is simple and cheaper than a new compressor. The Ackits site has the seals, tools and compressors. SJH69Camaro mentioned he's already been through two compressors so just picking up the phone and finding a good compressor seems to be a problem. In addition, a new compressor will cost around $350 and there's no guarantee it will have the upgraded seals. He can get a rebuilt one from ackits for about $130. And, I do believe these will have the upgraded seals. It's just a phone call away.

One last thing, my exerience with just about everything related to our hobby is you better be able to figure things out and fix a lot of stuff. In my mind ac is one of them. Half the enjoyment I get from this hobby is learning something new and being empowered by knowing I did fix it. If you consider that shadetree, that's fine with me.
Old Sep 25th, 09, 02:07 PM
Senior Tech

I have only gotten about a year out of reman a6s before they start pouring oil out the front. I just bought a pro6ten a6 replacement compressor that seems to work really well and no oil leaks. Its $350.00 but so are 2 or three remans.
Old Sep 25th, 09, 03:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

John

Quote:
... Half the enjoyment I get from this hobby is learning something new and being empowered by knowing I did fix it...
I won't get into what one person can afford vs. another side of this thing - but I totally agree with the 'fix - it - yourself' credo!

I used to rebuild my own compressors for years, and there's really nothing tricky about them if you understand and can do resonably good mechanical work, follow ALL the instructions during your work and are careful with the "fine-points" during your assembly.

The biggest 'hint' or tip I would give someone when reassembling one of these is NEVER-NEVER-EVER touch, wipe or any other way make ANY contact with the sealing surface of either one of the seal halves during installation EVER!
These seal contact surfaces are very delicate and precision lapped to each other during manufacturing, so they seal quickly after the first few turns of the shaft. Even a slight rub or touch to the surface will leave a minute scratch that will lead to a leak! I would be will to bet the re-manufactures guys give them the wrong treatment during install and that leads to the leaks...
It is also very important to cycle the compressor to bed-in the seals, pistons and bearings prior to installing and charging the system for use.
These procedures are outlined in the GM Service information and were covered in a great article in Hot Rod magazine a while back - I'll go hunt for the article and link it if I can find it.
(edit) - found it in he first search, that never happens ... - http://www.hotrod.com/howto/7954_air...ild/index.html

If you can't do this type of work, then deal with a reputable outfit (like Classic) for your parts and you will have recourse for problems.

As always JMHO's
Other V6 things - none of which float
Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Old Sep 27th, 09, 01:04 PM
Senior Tech

john

Quote:
Parkbrau, not everyone can afford what you can afford. If you get the right seals and have the right tools, the repair is simple and cheaper than a new compressor. The Ackits site has the seals, tools and compressors. SJH69Camaro mentioned he's already been through two compressors so just picking up the phone and finding a good compressor seems to be a problem. In addition, a new compressor will cost around $350 and there's no guarantee it will have the upgraded seals. He can get a rebuilt one from ackits for about $130. And, I do believe these will have the upgraded seals. It's just a phone call away.

One last thing, my exerience with just about everything related to our hobby is you better be able to figure things out and fix a lot of stuff. In my mind ac is one of them. Half the enjoyment I get from this hobby is learning something new and being empowered by knowing I did fix it. If you consider that shadetree, that's fine with me.
I like the way you think!!!

Liike me!!!

1969 rs/ss 396 350hp/4spd conv a/c,pw,ps,foldown
1968 Z/28 crossram- j/l8 conv pw,ps,foldown
1963 nova ss 350/4spd conv a/c,ps,pt
1963 nova 400 4dr 6cyl/700r4 a/c
2006 GT/5spd mustang conv
Old Oct 3rd, 09, 02:44 PM

Scott

Thanks for all the info. My mechanic going to get a double lip seal kit from a/c kits or ac-declo to fix this problem. Has anyone ever used the double lip seal kit on the A6 compressor's. Thanks Guys. Scott
Old Oct 7th, 09, 07:52 PM
Senior Tech

If I'm not mistaken, all the new a6 compressors come with double lip seals.
Old Oct 8th, 09, 02:58 AM

<Jake 68's Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
The biggest 'hint' or tip I would give someone when reassembling one of these is NEVER-NEVER-EVER touch, wipe or any other way make ANY contact with the sealing surface of either one of the seal halves during installation EVER!
These seal contact surfaces are very delicate and precision lapped to each other during manufacturing, so they seal quickly after the first few turns of the shaft. Even a slight rub or touch to the surface will leave a minute scratch that will lead to a leak! I would be will to bet the re-manufactures guys give them the wrong treatment during install and that leads to the leaks...
It is also very important to cycle the compressor to bed-in the seals, pistons and bearings prior to installing and charging the system for use.
As always JMHO's
Words of wisdom. I have not seen the kit nor seals, but reads like they are carbon-faced seals, lapped to a mirror finish. John Crane brand name? Best in the business.

You can rinse them with isopropyl alcohol to clean. We use them everyday in coolant pump shaft seals.
Old Oct 8th, 09, 07:30 PM
Senior Tech

john

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Words of wisdom. I have not seen the kit nor seals, but reads like they are carbon-faced seals, lapped to a mirror finish. John Crane brand name? Best in the business.

You can rinse them with isopropyl alcohol to clean. We use them everyday in coolant pump shaft seals.
Yes, we use the same type of mechanical seal in industrial use.

must have gloves and a clean environment to install the seal.

Old Oct 8th, 09, 08:16 PM
Senior Tech

john

After my previous post on Sept 27th, I have decided to install a new factory type seal on my Harrison A6 compressor. The electromagnet was bad so I replaced it as well.
I also re-machined the face of the flywheel. Notice the embedded clutch material into the flywheel face.

The job is easy but requires a few special tools.

I took a few pictures to illustrate...

Old Oct 10th, 09, 12:23 PM
Senior Tech

mike

i had my complete ac system restored in 97 when i got my 73 z28 . replaced every part with the exception of the 2 coils. used an ac delco remanufactured compressor and still holds the r 12 charge thet was put in 12 years ago. granted i don't use the car as a DD but i never had a problem with the compressor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement