Car Overheating after Waterpump install and sitting for a long time--- - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

Old Nov 2nd, 09, 07:14 AM
Senior Tech

Question Car Overheating after Waterpump install and sitting for a long time---

I had the opti, waterpump, and heater hose changed at the dealership a week ago.

The car will idle for hours and be fine, but the SECOND I hit the highway (50+mph) the thing shoots up to the red (250 degrees).

I tried bleeding it today from the bleeder screws, and by leaving the cap off the radiator. I bled from one screw to another back and forth, and in about 30 minutes both were peeing steady. Do you have to bleed it after multiple drives to get everything out?

THE SECOND I put it up to 3k rpms the temp goes straight down to 180-190 degrees....so I have been driving it home in a lower gear at 65mph.

I am going to guess its a 1/2 stuck thermostat. Blocking 1/2 the flow, so when the waterpump kicks it in high gear it makes up for the blockage? I saw the upper hose move the coolant the other morning with the cap off the radiator, so I know its atleast opening up a bit.

This just goes against everything I understood about engines, usually they overheat at idle ... and stay cool at 50+mph hahaha.

Time to swap out the thermostat. If its not that, I guess the next step is to clean out the radiator?! The car sat for a year and a half before the parts were installed. ---
90' ZR-1 Lingenfelter Corvette #699
91' SYCLONE #512
01' VIPER GTS
03' Harley Edition f-150 #577
http://i49.tinypic.com/2lsbm8o.jpg
Old Nov 2nd, 09, 10:07 AM
Tech Team

Bud

Default Re: Car Overheating after Waterpump install and sitting for a long tim

if it's not an electric fan, check the fan clutch
Old Nov 2nd, 09, 11:07 AM
Senior Tech

Steps

Yep could be the thermostat not opening right up or stiuck 1/2 open

AND/or someof the radiator cores are blocked... can usually feel these by fireing up from cold, run about 1000 to 1200 rpms and with your hand check the radiator warms up evenly... in particular check lower cores.
Common after a rebuils and the radiator hasnt had the headers pulled and manually cleaned out...it cooled ok before so assumption is made it is ok, but there are bits of stuf coming out of the engine going into 1/2 blocked cores ..blocking enough to cause a problem

Radiators, like oil pumps, water pumps should always be cleaned manually when re building an engine....fully flushed at least 1x per yr

The only time air locks can be a problem is refilling the cooling system with the car facing down hill....easy way to eliminate the problem is face the car up a slop.... or just jack the front up a bit.
Old Nov 2nd, 09, 09:39 PM
Senior Tech

DONNIE

Did they reuse the old thermostat it's in the top of the water pump
Old Nov 3rd, 09, 07:43 AM
Senior Tech

Its electric fans, and they are kicking on.

They reused the OLD thermostat ( or they didnt charge me for the new one, which I doubt happened, hahaha )

Also, I have thought of radiator blockage, I will feel the radiator with my hand if swapping the thermostat doesnt work.

Do you guys recommend I grab a new radiator cap just in case? Could that be part of the problem? It looks fine, but I havent replaced it in 4 years ---
91' SYCLONE #512
01' VIPER GTS
Old Nov 3rd, 09, 11:43 AM
Senior Tech

Steps

When doing a water pump swap, it is general practice...well is in NZ...if you go to a workshop that actually looks after the interests of the customer....to ask the customer if they want the thermostat changed to...and explain they dont last for ever they are cheap, and may as well do it now as the extra labour is stuff all if anything.

The cap, if it looks suspect, replace.
Old Nov 3rd, 09, 03:35 PM
Senior Tech

GOOD CALL ^^^ all my friends are pissed that I wasnt asked to change the thermostat. The thing is, they may have changed it and not charged me ... HAHAH but I SERIOUSLY doubt it ---
91' SYCLONE #512
01' VIPER GTS
Old Nov 3rd, 09, 08:30 PM
Senior Tech

DONNIE

i know the ac delco lt1 water pump used to come with the thermostat ten years ago but it been years sence i put one on .dont see alot of lt1's running around like before, the aftermarkit pumps did not come with one
Old Nov 4th, 09, 10:54 PM
Senior Tech

Andy

Is the air dam in tact on the front of the car below the bumper? They will run really hot if this is off the car or is broken. Its the radiator's only means of getting cool air when driving.

My uncle's LT1 Z28 ran hot when he first got it. I tried replacing the fan relays first and that did not fix it. Shortly after, the bypass hose developed a pin hole leak and it killed the opti. So, the opti, waterpump and thermostate were replaced. The thermostat was an AC Delco Unit. At the same time, the shop noticed that the dexcool had solidified into gel like chunks the bottom of the radiator. After it was cleaned out, green coolant repaced the dexcool Since that was done, the car has run cool. 170-180*.
Old Nov 5th, 09, 07:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Matt

What's the brand/model# of water pump?
Old Jan 1st, 10, 06:29 AM
Senior Tech

AC DELCO #12527741 for the waterpump ---
91' SYCLONE #512
01' VIPER GTS
Old Jan 8th, 10, 09:25 PM
Tech Team

Rudy

What is an OPTI?
Old Jan 9th, 10, 07:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Matt

One thing you never said is what car you installed this water pump on (or maybe I just missed it). Your signature shows several cars. I believe the AC DELCO #12527741 is a LT engine based water pump designed for a reverse flow cooling system. Typical serpentine belt systems require a water pump with a reverse rotation. On your 67 (in your sig), unless you converted your standard V-belt system to serpentine system you will want a standard rotation pump. Just a thought…
Old Feb 4th, 10, 07:24 AM
Senior Tech

Michael

Well a dealership probably didn't change your thermostat.

I have to disagree with flushing and manually cleaning your radiator, it is fine. No dexcool at any point should have been going through your LT1. Certain materials cannot be used with this coolant.

Your electric fans have nothing to do with it, the PCM recognizes a speed over 25 mph and will deactivate your fans.

The air damn is not that important for the car, yes it aids in flowing air across the radiator but the cooling system is more than sufficient. I can run a 600+ hp engine and abuse it without overheating my LT1 stock cooling system. The airdamn sticks down maybe 5 inches and is not a very stiff material.

Are you sure that it is overheating? have you pulled over to check it? Its very easy to pull your thermostat out can be done in 15 min. Pull it out and take a look at it. It sounds like its possible to have a bad pump. To me it sounds like it isn't flowing enough, the thermostat shouldn't be blocking flow like that even if stuck when hot the combination of pressure and flow should push it open in 6th. Only way to really see is pull it out. Your heat generation at 65 mph should be a little higher because your thermal efficiency is a lower but you will be flowing more water due to a higher rpm. IN 6th thermal efficiency should be higher but it sounds like you aren't flowing enough to cool. You are at idle though, which makes think its the pump. If it was overheating at idle I would think the thermostat is stuck. The pump is wouldn't have pressure to push open the thermostat at idle. Also the thermal energy into the engine is so low at idle that a poorly flowing pump should be able to cool it but it would have problems around 2 grand or less on the highway under high loads on the engine because so much thermal energy is being introduced and the pump isn't flowin sufficiently. You follow my logic?

The opti was GM's step in the direction of electronic ignition. Great concept, it uses a reluctor wheel and is cam drivent to ensure proper spark location. Spark was extremely accurate but due to high voltage ozone gases were being created within the unit (water or moisture in the cap when introduced to high voltage created toxic acidic gasses.) This wasn't a problem because AC Delco was the original supplier for the opti, but because it was being developed in the late 80's early 90's around the time Delphi was still an integral part of GM with contracts. GM couldn't go into production with AC delco's tested model and Delphi pretty much copied Delco's design and screwed it up. The ozone gasses were heavier than air so Delco had this unique way of venting at the bottom without the need of a vaccuum source, Delphi was scared that in water situations the breather holes would flood the opti, so they removed them. The first years were horrible because the venting was done at the top and how heavier than air ozone gases go out a top hole I am not sure. Well their next fix was to draw clean air in and evacuate it through a breather into the engine. Welll this didn't work becaues the hose going to the valve cover often got pinched or restricted and if i didn't over time the ozone gases would detoriate it creating a hole or block it, once this happened bam no more opti again. Basically it was a good design but Delphi screwed it up, I am an avid hater of it and am running coils per cylinder on my LT1. It runs great for what it is but do not get water on it or you are done.
Old Feb 7th, 10, 06:05 AM
Senior Tech

Thanks a TON , I just got a new thermostat in ... and will plan on replacing it once we get above freezing (or no rain/snow) the next day I have off .

I appreciate the great writeup, make a lot of sense to me ---
91' SYCLONE #512
01' VIPER GTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement