GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

Old Nov 5th, 09, 08:09 AM

Shawn

Default LSX Swap thread info on how to do swaps and parts needed

Hey guys this is Shawn from RetroLSX Iím going to start working on a list of whatís needed to do these swaps and some general tech to make these conversions go in a whole lot easier. Feel free to ask me any questions and Iíll help in any way I can. Donít forget the 5.3L and 6.0L truck engines are low cost alternatives and make great power for a low cost upgrade to the modern age. This thread will cover everything from engine choices to fuel, electronic, gauges, cooling and anything else needed to take on these swaps. So keep posted I should have this up by the end of the week.

LS full installs
www.RetroLSX.com 678-807-7652
RetroLSX@comcast.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 5th, 09, 09:21 AM
Senior Tech

Patrick

Default Re: LSX Swap thread info on how to do swaps and parts needed

Thank you!!!!!!
Old Nov 7th, 09, 09:36 AM

Shawn

Motor options

I have run $300 5.3L LM7(cast iron early 5.3L)from 2005 Silverado with 33K from ebay put a used Z06 cam and $180 ebay headers and got 326RWHP and 323RW Torque with 87 oct at 26 MPG and these 5.3L are everywhere and cheap. The truck motors are filling up salvage yards because they last well over 200K miles so there is not enough demand for replacement motors in stock applications. This means these are very reasonably priced buys for great power and fuel mileage. Car Craft recently did a built with a low compression LQ4 with GM L92 heads and got over 500HP. I have sold several 5.3L with under 10K miles with motor and trans for around $1000-$1800 and the 07+ are all aluminum with pre production Z06 heads and a higher compression ratio that still go under $2K from me with a 4L65 trans!. Itís getting to the point that a LS swap is close to the cost of buying a GEN I 383 crate motor. I also deal a lot with the guys who run most the LS salvage yards and do engine locating services for any style LS engine from a low buck 4.8L to a complete new LS7 Z06 drive train.

I offer the full line of GM LS engines and MAST crate motors.
Bolt Pattern
All the new Gen III and Gen IV LS series engines feature a new bolt pattern on the block for the motor mounts so none of the tradition methods will work in adapting it to an older application. All engines from the 4.8L to the Ls9 feature this same bolt pattern.

Electronics

There are a lot of options to go on this route from rewiring the stock harness yourself or having a companies such as.
Speartech.com
CurrentPerformance.com
Wait4meperformance.com

GM also sells new plug and play wiring kits that include the drive by wire pedal for all 03+ Gen IV motors. Along with GM electronic kits to run the coil packs with a carb or the Electronic transmissions without the ECU. Just know that to control a electron trans a computer box is needed for the swap.
Fuel Systems

More choices here on this part of the install as well from buying a new tank from a company like Ricks hot rod shop, to modifying your stock tank with a modern fuel pump. LS1tech.com has a lot of good write ups and guides for this portion of the install for addition help as well. Or run a carb on your engine with the stock tank and a LS engine running in a weekend with the least amount of work.
Rock valley and ricks hotrod offer stainless EFI tanks but cost a decent amount close to 1K!
I offer some OEM looking replacements from Spectra that are 599 plus shipping that are sumped and baffled with a high volume GM EFI tank.
For the fuel filter regulator use
This is the part number from a corvette fuel filter (FPR), is from a 1999 C5 Corvette. Most time just ask for a fuel filter from NAPA or any parts dealer

The FBR will require fittings to adapt to traditional 3/8" lines and 5/8" return lines. One option is Russell performance

Fittings needed to adapt
(2) 3/8" fittings, part number RUS-639210 or RUS-640850
For the tank to regulator line and the fuel line connecting to the fuel rails
(1) 5/8" fitting part number RUS-640860
return to the fuel tank from the regulator

Front Accessories
GM is now offering the C5 and C6 accessories as complete kits for under $900 with A/C for a compact design with OEM quality at a reasonable price. Or without A/C for around $650
I also offer relocation kits for OEM truck,corvette, and camaro/firebird to top mount the A/C for a Sanden 508(Vintage Air Style compresor) for under $200
Or
Relocation kits for the PS and Alternator for under $300
Or just the ALT kit for $180

LS kits /Headers
A lot of options out there from Kooks, Hooker and countless others. I even have my own line in development that will offer complete exhaust systems from the header to the exhaust tips! The one thing Iím doing is going to keep the cost reasonable!

Oil Pans,

Each car need a special pan the LH8 or a this Custum pan i helped develped is best for the first gen while the 98-02 F-Pan works for the 7-92 F-Bodys

This is only a very quick overview and a briefly touched on some of the big questions; Iím a big GM guy so I recommend keeping these conversions as much GM as possible. This will keep maintenances parts available at any local parts store and readily availably for a very long time. Ask me any questions you have about these conversions and Iíll be happy to help or at least guide you in the right direction of someone who can.
LS full installs
RetroLSX@comcast.net
Old Nov 7th, 09, 12:31 PM
Senior Tech

Patrick

This thread must last forever!
Old Nov 8th, 09, 08:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

DEREK

So what do you thinnk of the ls6 motor that makes 480 horse? what would i need for that swap?
Old Nov 8th, 09, 09:44 AM

Shawn

I believe the GM 480HP engine is a variation of the LS3 not the Ls6. The LS6 is a good motor but it pretty much is an improved LS1 with better oiling, better 243 heads with light sodium filled valve springs running an OEM 550/550 lift cam. The improvements made to the LS6 are in just about every GEN IV motor (04 and newer) except the light valves. Even the new 5.3L run 799 cast heads which are the same as a LS6 243 with only non sodium filled valves. Any LS engine is going to take about the same to drop in a car. Whatís the car your dropping it in? Whatís the trans? EFI or carb? Dont forget low mile pullout motors keep cost down and these last 150K plus miles so a under 30K mile pullout its just broke in!
LS full installs
RetroLSX@comcast.net
Old Nov 10th, 09, 07:13 AM

Shawn

Also for cooling systems BeCool offers some killer LS specific radiators and electric fans. If you on a budget an OEM 4 core radiator will work fine and just bolt on a Lincoln MRK 8 fan from 93-98. These are great low cost fans for these swaps. As of the stem vents the best option is to tap the water pump and run the line into the pump for a clean install. Or you can tap it into the radiator lines.
LS full installs
RetroLSX@comcast.net
Old Nov 30th, 09, 09:37 PM

Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroLSX View Post
Also for cooling systems BeCool offers some killer LS specific radiators and electric fans. If you on a budget an OEM 4 core radiator will work fine and just bolt on a Lincoln MRK 8 fan from 93-98. These are great low cost fans for these swaps. As of the stem vents the best option is to tap the water pump and run the line into the pump for a clean install. Or you can tap it into the radiator lines.
I am not familiar with the steam vents shown above. I am finishing a 2002 LS1 install in a 67 Camaro. Where do they connect?
Old Nov 30th, 09, 11:13 PM
Senior Tech

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroLSX View Post
Another option for the steam vent line is to use the heater hoses from a Trailblazer with a V8. They have a nipple built in.

Old Dec 1st, 09, 12:00 AM

Keith

I was not aware there were these steam lines used on the f-body LS1. I got an Afco radiator for LS on the car. Where do the lines connect to on the engine and what is the purpose, did all years use this??
Old Dec 1st, 09, 04:24 PM
Senior Tech

Justin

Can you recommend any good books/reference material that explains the LS engines. I'm an old school small block guy so I would like to find something that explains the design and overall operation of the LS series engines. Keep your post going!
Old Dec 1st, 09, 06:50 PM
Senior Tech

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks71z28 View Post
I was not aware there were these steam lines used on the f-body LS1. I got an Afco radiator for LS on the car. Where do the lines connect to on the engine and what is the purpose, did all years use this??
All years of LS-style motors have this. Since the intake manifold does not have a coolant crossover, steam that forms in the heads travels out through the coolant crossover tube on the front of the motor. On stock LS1's, the crossover tube connects to the TB and then from the TB to the top of the radiator. It is common to bypass the TB and connect the crossover tube directly to the radiator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ269J View Post
Can you recommend any good books/reference material that explains the LS engines. I'm an old school small block guy so I would like to find something that explains the design and overall operation of the LS series engines. Keep your post going!
Amazon.com: Chevy LS1/LS6 Performance: High Performance Modifications for Street and Racing (9781557884077): Chris Endres: Books Amazon.com: Chevy LS1/LS6 Performance: High Performance Modifications for Street and Racing (9781557884077): Chris Endres: Books
Old Dec 1st, 09, 09:22 PM

Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidburn View Post
All years of LS-style motors have this. Since the intake manifold does not have a coolant crossover, steam that forms in the heads travels out through the coolant crossover tube on the front of the motor. On stock LS1's, the crossover tube connects to the TB and then from the TB to the top of the radiator. It is common to bypass the TB and connect the crossover tube directly to the radiator.

Amazon.com: Chevy LS1/LS6 Performance: High Performance Modifications for Street and Racing (9781557884077): Chris Endres: Books
Duh, I look at that everyday. I may tie it into the upper radiator hose, or weld a bung and put a barb fitting near the top of the tank on the passenger side of the radiator. One more thing to cross off the list. I have about 80 hours into the LS1 install on a customers car, 15 or so more and it will likely run, fingers crossed
Old Dec 2nd, 09, 07:38 AM

Shawn

Thatís a great trick for the steam vent do you have a PN for the line? Could you also email me that pic to RetroLSX@comcast.net? i could use it in my book!
Also most aftermarket radiators like the AFCO or BECOOL have built in taps for the steam vents so you just connect them and your done.
I also have the LSX Conversion Handbook coming out this march from the Penguin group this march that goes in detail about the swaps. As of right now I have about 150 pages of tech so if you have any questions feel free to ask.
LS full installs
RetroLSX@comcast.net
Old Dec 2nd, 09, 05:07 PM
Senior Tech

luke

thanks for the good info. i am actually looking to do a lsx swap into my 64 cadillac in the future. while i was at at the good guys car shop there was a company that made universal lsx engine mounts. they bolted on to the block and needed to be modified to be welded onto the frame. do you have anything like that. i beleive they also had a universal crossmember for the 4l60e. is there anything you recomend to mount the engine and trans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement