Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Camaro Tech General Tech Area
For best results use specific forums

Old Dec 8th, 09, 08:44 AM
Senior Tech

Mark

Default Windshield chrome trim removal and installation tutorial?

Not sure which forum this should actually go in so i'm asking here. My 69 Camaro has several windshield chrome trim clips that need to be replaced, is there a tutorial on how to remove and reinstall the trim pieces and clips? If not could someone kindly explain to me how to go about replacing the clips? Is there an order to remove and replace the trims pieces in? I have the clips and the clip removal tool just not sure where to start. Thanks in advance guys.

99 Trans Am...my toy
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/3...perdrag6kn.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 8th, 09, 10:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Default Re: Windshield chrome trim removal and installation tutorial?

I can't tell from your comments if the trim pieces are still on the car or not. I'm not real good at removing them, but here is some info:

The bottom piece generally should be removed first, as it is over the top of the sides. To remove the bottom, you will have to remove the wiper blades. There is a tool for that, or just search this board on how to get them off. It can be easy or hard depending on a lot of factors.

Next, remove the cowl piece which is held down by about 5 screws.

You will then see the screws that hold the clips down that are attached to the lower molding. There is also a very small screw on the end of these lower moldings that you have to get at by opening the door (if I remember right). You will need to use a very small wrench to get to it. It might look impossible, but it can be done. You do NOT have to remove the door.

Next, you can remove the side pieces, then the top. These are held in with special clips that may be different from one car to the next depending on prior owners, etc. There are two styles of clips:

A. One slides on from the side (left to right or right to left) over a raised pin.
B. The other clips directly over the pin; it is a smaller clip than the 'A' style.

I hope others can come up with better ways to get around these clips, but I'll give you my techniques:

The smaller ('B') clip generally cannot be removed until the molding is removed. You can sometimes either very carefully using a tool try to unclip it from the molding, or pry the molding (carefully to not bend it) towards the body of the car. This works for me on the sides, but the top is curved, so that may not work.

The larger clips can sometimes be simply knocked off the post directly by hooking them and then pulling either left to right in the opposite direction they are installed. The problem is that they will only go on/off in one direction so you have to experiment.

Personally, I like the smaller clips for reinstallation, but that is JMO.

-Kevin
Old Dec 9th, 09, 06:08 PM
Team Member

John

Default Re: Windshield chrome trim removal and installation tutorial?

You'll need a reveal molding clip removal tool - any auto parts store will have it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RevealClipTool.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	13212  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement