Team Camaro Tech banner

67 Rally Sport...needs work.

414K views 2K replies 88 participants last post by  ROBS6T8 
#1 ·
I picked up a 1967 Camaro RS last weekend, and it's time to bring her back to life. I'm not going to go too wild (as far as I know), but I will be doing some updates along the way.

Please feel free to give advice along the way. I'm reasonably handy, and can figure a lot of things out, but this is my first classic, and I'm open to learning from other people's experiences.

The Cowl Tag reads:

11E E
67-12637 NOR 432xx BODY
765-Z G-2 PAINT
2G 3L

And the Vin reads:
124377N1439xx

So, from what I can tell this is a 1967 Camaro V8, assembled at the Norwood Ohio plant in the fifth week of Novermber 1966. It has a Custom Deluxe Interior with black bucket seats with color keyed accent bands, and no head rests. Deluxe steering wheel, deluxe door panels, etc.

It was originally Granada Gold with a Black Vinyl Top, it hads a console with floor mounted shifter, and most importantly it had the RP0 Z22 Rally Sport Package.

Right now it is dark blue with gray and tan primer. The interior (what's left) was redone a long time ago with a standard interior, and it looks like someone added power windows (not sure if they are working or not).

It has an L98 350 small block out of an '87 Vette, and a 4 speed on the floor, and disc brakes up front. I need to sort out some wiring issue and get the motor fired up, that will be step one.

This project isn't going to happen overnight, but I am started this thread to keep track of my progress along the way.

See less See more
#4 ·
Sweet! I've got one of dem 67 too and its been fun. Mine is a 6cyl with an RS nose so its really not worth much as far as collectability so I made it a PT car. If you have any questions shoot me a PM, I've learned the hard way what stuff works and what don't. I've got GW tubular arms, coilovers, mini tub, BB with a T56 etc, etc etc.

Your car will be a very cool project and when people ask, "is that an RS" you can say YUP!
rj

#6 ·
Thanks guys. I'll be asking questions for sure.

If you look closely you'll notice the back drivers corner of the hood sticks up a little. It wasn't like that when I bought it. I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the hood flying open at 60mph on the highway. We didn't latch the hood all the way down because it would get stuck in the shut position. It was locked into the first position, but not all the way closed (rookie mistake). It broke the springs and bent the hinges and hood. I was thinking about doing a cowl induction hood anyways, but this makes the decision much easier. Luckily I didn't lose the windshield.

I just got some new hinges and springs from Ground Up. I'm going to try to bend the hood back temporarily and wait to order the hood along with some other sheet metal to save on shipping. I know I need a new rear quarter and passenger door.

Due to funding issues, I'll be doing the bodywork in stages. I'm going to have the roof and back half media blasted in the next couple of weeks, and see what else needs help.

#10 ·
Here's a shot of the interior. Just trying to establish where the project is starting. It's missing a pedal, just the accelerator, nothing important. I have a whole spare assembly and already stripped the metal and am prepping it for paint.

#13 ·
I got some parts in from Ground Up. I replaced the bent hood hinges, and addeds some new springs. I tried marking the location of the old hinges before removing them, but it was a litte pointless since the hinges were pretty bent, and not in their old location.

#16 ·
Had to get a new air cleaner, since the car didn't come with one. Eventually I'll switch to a cowl induction set up when I get the new hood. It would have made more sense to have gotten the new cowl hood and done the hinges, springs and hood all at the same time, but I wanted to get some other sheet metal and save on shipping.

#17 ·
The new air cleaner really makes the rest of the engine bay look pretty bad.

The car is going to my mechanic on Monday to see if we can get her up and running. Once that's taken care of, I'll think about cleaning up the bay and eventually dressing her up a little. If we have to pull the motor, it would be a good time to paint the bay, and the block, and add some shiny stuff too.

#18 ·
So I stood in line for an 1hr15min waiting to register the Camaro today. Only to find out that I didn't have the right form. When I suggested that it would be nice if someone at the reception desk would have mentioned it and hour ago, the gentleman said "that's your responsibility, not ours." Good times.

#21 ·
Nice ride, Brent. Welcome to the Club. I imagine in MA its alittle cold without the heater and no blower motor at that.

I see the blower power wire, the orange one, laying on the engine. Along with heater hoses, unless the core is broken.
The green wire on the wire loom is OE coolant temp HOT light wire goes to the drvr side sensor, if it were there.
Might hook the HEI vacuum cannister hose to full time vacuum and retune alittle, save some gas.
Hook up the PCV on pass valve cover to the big carb base nipple.

It's a good project. Congrats! Alittle TLC everyday and it'll be fixed.

#23 ·
Thanks for all the info. My mechanic has it right now, and is going to take a look at it. I think we are trying to come up with a plan. Once it actually starts, I'll feel a whole lot better. As soon as I get it back, I'll start tinkering again.

#26 ·
looks like a really good start to a project!! 67 RS my favorite.
Doesn't look like L98 vette heads from the pics though....:sad:
Thanks, I really like the look of the RS as well.

Any thoughts on what the engine is then? (or the heads) I have other pics if it would help, or maybe post this question in the engine section?

#29 ·
Could be vortec heads...hard to tell,can't really tell what the center intake manifold bolts are doing from the pics.
Could also be 87 to 95 reg. small block heads like in the trucks.
Almost looks like an oil galley plug on the front of the block below intake indicating an early block....possibly the original 327!
post some block numbers so we can tell you what you really have there.

#31 ·
Those are magnesium valve covers that came on the L98 vettes. Those heads look like f-body L98 motors. They came with iron heads and the vettes got aluminum heads. Those valve covers used to be worth a little bit of money, but I don`t know if they still are though

#32 ·
For identifying the short block, you might look on the deck pad just in front of the pass cyl head and post the characters stamped.

I don't think it would be an '87 block with the oil plug under the manifold, late '60's Towanada egines only with oil galley plug?

#33 ·
Heads are Vortecs. Look at the intake bolts, they are straight up and down.Didn't the Pre Vortecs only have the middle bolts straight up and dwn? You can see some under the distributer vaccum canister, and right behind the alternator bracket. Right above the water pump in the picture is the pad, which looks like the long pad of the earlier (pre-77 or so) older engines.
Looks to be an Edelbroke Performer Vortec intake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.