where to cut hole to remove fuel pump - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Third Generation 1982-1992

Old Feb 12th, 10, 03:13 PM

Default where to cut hole to remove fuel pump

anybody have a pic or a link that shows where to cut trunk to get to fuel pump, thanks

this is a 90 camaro rs
Old Feb 14th, 10, 04:18 PM

paul

Default Re: where to cut hole to remove fuel pump

why do you want to cut the trunk?
it's not that hard to remove the fuel tank
Old Feb 14th, 10, 05:50 PM
Senior Tech

I cut mine in both my 01 SS and my 98 T/A. If done correctly it looks factory and makes for easy pump swaps/upgrades.

If I remember correctly the 98 and under is toward the front of the hump that the rear seat leans to in the very center. There are two embossed lines in the floor that I cut just to the inside of. I used a piece of steel plate and had a friend do some nice bead rolls for a factory appearance.

Be sure that your cutter doesnt go any deeper than needed to cut the panel or you could end up cutting your pump/sender wires.

I did a search on line and found pictures before I cut but cant remember the site.

Old Feb 14th, 10, 07:27 PM
Senior Tech

Robert

I dont want to offend anybody but I HATE that hack job that most people do when they gain access to the pump. Yes I hate the fact that GM did not provide us with an access panel to the pump but what is done is done .. with that said I try to avoid cutting my car in any way shape of form . I've done the dropping of the tank and the whole time I was saying "I should of just cutting the #%^@% thing" but in the end it was worth it.

but if I did cut it I would try and do it like this guy !!! check out his how to

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tur...utes-less.html
Old Feb 14th, 10, 08:05 PM
Team Member

Jerry R.

Could you imagine using a sawzall on the trunk floor and having the blade poke thru the tank or the fuel line

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/h...naflowclip.mp4
Old Feb 16th, 10, 08:30 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSS1113 View Post
I dont want to offend anybody but I HATE that hack job that most people do when they gain access to the pump. Yes I hate the fact that GM did not provide us with an access panel to the pump but what is done is done .. with that said I try to avoid cutting my car in any way shape of form . I've done the dropping of the tank and the whole time I was saying "I should of just cutting the #%^@% thing" but in the end it was worth it.

but if I did cut it I would try and do it like this guy !!! check out his how to

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tur...utes-less.html
That is identicle to how I did mine only I had bead rolls in my cover and painted it to look a little more like factory.

If done correctly your simply doing what GM should have done from the start.

Old Feb 16th, 10, 08:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

John

Thumbs down Re: where to cut hole to remove fuel pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
... If done correctly your simply doing what GM should have done from the start.
With the exception of course that GM probably thought about designing an access hole ... but then fiqured having it fail in a rear-end crash and then allow fuel and flame into the rear passenger compartment wasn't really such a good idea after all ...
There have been several models of vehicles (Honda in the late 80's comes to mind) that had an 'access hatch' for fuel pumps that failed or distorted during impacts and caused major injuries to passengers.
I would imagine it may be one reason you don't see them as often on vehicles any more.

I will always choose to pull a tank rather than start cutting holes where they really don't belong
Other V6 things - none of which float
Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Old Feb 16th, 10, 09:56 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
With the exception of course that GM probably thought about designing an access hole ... but then fiqured having it fail in a rear-end crash and then allow fuel and flame into the rear passenger compartment wasn't really such a good idea after all ...
There have been several models of vehicles (Honda in the late 80's comes to mind) that had an 'access hatch' for fuel pumps that failed or distorted during impacts and caused major injuries to passengers.
I would imagine it may be one reason you don't see them as often on vehicles any more.

I will always choose to pull a tank rather than start cutting holes where they really don't belong
Is that why they still make them with access holes? Some are even under the rear seat and they dont have much for retaining hardware either.

First gen Mustangs come to mind for me but the trunk floor was the fuel tank in those cars.

I have repaired countless Camaros from rear collisions and seen far more totaled from rear collisions. I have repaired Late F-bodys that were rear ended hard enough that the unitized structure that the rear LCA bolts to was shoved damn near through the weak floor pan under the rear seat.

A fuel access door that is correctly done will not simply pop lose or fall off in a rear collision.

Old May 11th, 11, 08:09 PM
Senior Tech

Lonnie

Considering your car is 20yrs old, you should remove the tank & flush it out.... you may be surprised at the junk that accumulates in there after 20 years. No use ruining a new pump because of contamination.
Old Apr 17th, 12, 09:50 PM

yes I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr68 View Post
Could you imagine using a sawzall on the trunk floor and having the blade poke thru the tank or the fuel line

I was thinking the same thing. Dropping the tank sure beats the hell outta a fire or worse. ( when You get sev burns, it's not fun what they have to do to keep infection away. )
Keep yourself and your car intact, drop the tank. Since the tank is out have it cleaned good so you won't pull years of crap up into the pump.
Old Apr 18th, 12, 05:09 AM
Senior Tech

Ray

I had to change my fuel pump last month and thought about cutting a hole. Than tought to myself would I cut a large square hole anywhere in my 67 RS Camaro? The answer was nope, so I dropped the tank and actually it wasn't that bad of a project. I cleaned the tank out and cleaned around the body and heat shields. So I repaired my 1991 Z28 and had the chance to clean up areas I otherwise would not have messed with typically.

So my thought is do it the right way and don't cut the car. or the fuel lines. There are reasons GM didn't put a cover there.
Old Apr 19th, 12, 07:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jason

http://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-...s-panel-54241/

Old Apr 19th, 12, 09:28 AM

yes I do

The only way it could look even 1/2 way good, is to put it on hinges and put some sort of lock on it.
Make sure all edges are painted to avoid rust.
But I'd just drop the tank. Any hole in the floorboard would be a great idea, especially if you ever got an exhaust leak or exhaust cutouts that dump anywhere close to the hole. But that's just my opinion. In the end, all things said and done, it's your car and your decision. Either way good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement