Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Performance Our High Performance area

Old May 22nd, 01, 03:07 PM
Tech Team

Wife says that since I have demanded that she not sell the 4-bolt 350 I have, I cannot buy an LT-1 for my 67.

So, I'm thinking to put a TPI setup on top of it. Money will be showing up in a couple of weeks, so I'll be able to go junkyard hopping (and am going to try to get rear discs and a 5 spd also)... but... I don't know what to grab and what years to grab it from. I gather that late 80s/early 90s would be better than older or newer, but am not sure what I should be looking for.

I am pretty sure that I need to get the manifold, computer, fuel rails with injectors, and the wiring that connects it all, but should I also be grabbing the fuel pump from the tank or the exhaust manifolds? Read something that mentioned the stock knock sensor, so should I be grabbing that plus the factory distributor? I'd hate to miss something and have to go back.

Looks like MAF is preferred over MAP, but which model years/cars had MAF?

Oh.. if it matters, the block is a standard 350 4 bolt (74 truck block) and the heads are normal mid-70s iron heads. Car will be manual tranny.

Thanks for any pointers... this EFI stuff is all kinda new to me.

------------------
camaro@derekf.com
67 Camaro Basket Case
69 El Camino SS396 - now with 500,000 miles!(Daily Driver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 01, 03:42 PM
Senior Tech

derek
the early to 89 TPI's are MAF type. 90-92 are MAP. The MAF systems respond better to mods, but the MAP systems are a little easier to install because you don't need to deal with the MAF sensor hanging from the throttle body.
If you get the in-tank pump/sending unit, buy the whole tank too. The receptacle that the sending unit fits in is larger on the late camaros than the earlier. If you plan to use the intank pump, you will need to have the receptacle installed also. But, an external pump (high pressure) works well too.

Either system will work on a 350, but the injectors for the 305 are smaller (19 lb) than the 350 (22 lb). Be aware that at some time the intake manifold bolt pattern changed. You will need an early model intake to bolt to early heads. Also I "think" that the knock sensor is different between 305 &350.
For some good info check http://www.fuelinjection.com they are good folks & helpful too. I also have at home, the name & address of a guy in Anna, Tx who makes very nice replacement wiring harnesses. Made my installation very easy. If you would like it, email me & I'll pass it on to you.

------------------
Rick Schaefer
68 Camaro
72 El Camino
TPI350/700r4

[This message has been edited by rick (edited 05-22-2001).]
Old May 22nd, 01, 04:34 PM
Tech Team

Thanks, Rick, good info.

Also dig your taste in cars

Thinking to see what the factory harness looks like before I go looking for a replacement (my Camaro has no wires right now, just a painless harness sitting in a box next to it, so a little harness fabrication is ok)

A few more questions for you - when you did your Camino (I like the TPI look under the hood, btw) did you use the stock TPI exhaust manifolds, or TPI headers, or normal headers and manually mount an O2 sensor? Happen to know when the intake bolt pattern changed? and do you know if the 3rd gen fuel tank can fit in a 1st gen?

(and yeah, I'll probably email you the day after I get the stuff to get that name and addy

Thanks again!

------------------
camaro@derekf.com
67 Camaro Basket Case
69 El Camino SS396 - now with 500,000 miles!(Daily Driver)
Old May 22nd, 01, 04:38 PM
Tech Team

Oh yeah, and did you have to use a special electronic distributor (seems like you would need to)?

Thanks again!
Derek
Old May 24th, 01, 02:57 PM
Senior Tech

derek
the distributor is a computer controlled HEI frome the tpi donor car. I have doug Thorley tri-y headers on the elky. I had them ceramic coated inside & out. The O2 sensor is in the collector. I was concerned that the sensor would never heat up to operating temp, being so far from the heads. Turned out to be a non issue.

And from FIS web site "The 1985-86 intake manifolds will fit the older small block heads without modification. In 1987 and up, the heads were designed with vertical bolt taps for the two center bolts on both sides of the intake manifold. With a little drilling the newer manifolds will fit the older style heads. The intake manifolds are therefore interchangeable for all small engines."

As far as the tank - given enuff $$ and time anything can be made to work, but i doubt that it would be a drop in.
Years ago FIS sent me a brochure that was extremely helpful. Info was similar to whats on the web site, but included much more. Call them & see if they still have it to send out.
rick schaefer
Old May 24th, 01, 09:42 PM
Senior Tech

Also the 90-92 TPI has speed density and can get more air. The 85-89 can get a max of 650cfm with MAF mods unless you buy an aftermarket MAF. Speed density is easier to 'program' or burn, at least so I hear. The '85 tpi computers are crap literally. If you can only find an 85 then get a newer computer for it. www.thirdgen.org has chip burning how-to info and could probly tell you how to put a newer computer on the 85. I would also hook up an electric fan to the ECM too but TPI's use a 195' stat so you'd have to burn a chip to use a 180'. The 89 has a better computer as far as MAF is concerned. You will need the distributor unless you bypass the electronic computer. I've heard it's better to do that if you want performance but you'd have to burn a chip so you don't throw codes. I'd go with a inline fuel pump and an adjustable fuel regulator especially if you get a 305 TPI. If you jack up the fuel pressure you can use the 305 injectors on your 350. If you got a performance engine there's relatively cheap alternative since TPI's only good to MAX 5000rpm. 4500 is probly more like it. It's similar to a carb manifold with injector bosses cast into it then an elbow where the carb would go that attaches the throttle body. If you want the part numbers etc for it email me and I'll give you the low down. It might cost a little more than TPI but you get better stuff/new stuff and it'll handle 6500rpm easy.

Get everything you can. Any sensors would be nice but most of the yards sell either the whole TPI engine or the tpi without wiring/computer. I've also been quoted outragious prices for a TPI set-up from a yard. I wouldn't pay more than $400-450 depending on how good the runners look and shape it's in from a yard. Trick is to find an overheated tpi engine. Also go see if your library has any tuned port injection books.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement