Inline 6 (250) Power Steering - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
 
Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro
   

Auto Insurance



Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 13th, 10, 11:26 PM
Ian67 Ian67 is offline
Tech Team

Ian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 67
Arrow Inline 6 (250) Power Steering

Hey,

I'm planning on adding a power steering setup on my very base model 67 Camaro with 250 Inline 6. I am a complete amateur with mechanics but am slowing learning. I have found several other threads that talk about the required parts and that a 3rd gen box is the way to go. I understand that with my I6 I'm also going to want/need specific I6 brackets to mount the pump and box. I'm trying to put this together for as little cash as possible so I if I don't need to replace a part or if there is a cheaper alternative part I would love to know.

Do I REQUIRE an Inline 6 pump or can I use a V8 pump? I would have just bought a V8 one but I noticed on ricks that there is a separate part and number for each. If I can use a v8 pump, what would the difference be compared to the I6?

Also, would I still use the Moog K6582 Long Pitman Arm with my I6? The Moog site says that part is for a V8 so I just want to be sure I'm not buying useless parts.

Other than the Pump, Pitman Arm and various brackets is there anything else that would be different for my I6?

Also if anyone has any pictures (big ones) of their I6 power steering setup please feel free to post them. Thank you in advance for any info you can provide.

IaN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old May 14th, 10, 04:20 AM
deputystoneman deputystoneman is offline
Senior Tech

 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: maryland
Posts: 140
Default Re: Inline 6 (250) Power Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian67 View Post
Hey,

I'm planning on adding a power steering setup on my very base model 67 Camaro with 250 Inline 6. I am a complete amateur with mechanics but am slowing learning. I have found several other threads that talk about the required parts and that a 3rd gen box is the way to go. I understand that with my I6 I'm also going to want/need specific I6 brackets to mount the pump and box. I'm trying to put this together for as little cash as possible so I if I don't need to replace a part or if there is a cheaper alternative part I would love to know.

Do I REQUIRE an Inline 6 pump or can I use a V8 pump? I would have just bought a V8 one but I noticed on ricks that there is a separate part and number for each. If I can use a v8 pump, what would the difference be compared to the I6?

Also, would I still use the Moog K6582 Long Pitman Arm with my I6? The Moog site says that part is for a V8 so I just want to be sure I'm not buying useless parts.

Other than the Pump, Pitman Arm and various brackets is there anything else that would be different for my I6?

Also if anyone has any pictures (big ones) of their I6 power steering setup please feel free to post them. Thank you in advance for any info you can provide.

IaN

i did my 68 two years ago. good luck finding the bracket. i bought mine from a junk yard.
do not forget the spacers between the pump and the bracket.

the box mounted fight to the frame.

get a new rag joint.

i do not know what i am doing sometimes. fortunately i have several motor head friends willing to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old May 14th, 10, 06:33 AM
Everett#2390's Avatar
Everett#2390 Everett#2390 is offline
Moderator

<Jake 68's Rule
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Va Beach VA
Posts: 27,368
Default Re: Inline 6 (250) Power Steering

As said, you'll need to scour older savage yards and others, maybe Pick-Ur-Part, and look for a L6 engine vehicle and remove all the brackets and hardware and take pictures, or sketch, where all the hardware goes.
__________________
Give a man a rescued dog for the health of his soul.
'With enough thrust, pigs can fly.' Other Stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old May 14th, 10, 10:23 PM
Ian67 Ian67 is offline
Tech Team

Ian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 67
Default Re: Inline 6 (250) Power Steering

Hmm.. from what I understand by reading several other manual to power steering threads is that I need the following parts to convert my 67 Camaro with 250ci Inline 6 to 3rd Gen power steering:

- Power Steering Gear Box (from 84-92 IROC Camaro RS)
- Rag joint and 2 hose adapters (as from Lee Manufacturing)
- Gm Pinch bolt (as from Lee Manufacturing)
- Pressure hose
- Standard return hose
- Power Steering Pulley (from any 67-69 PS Camaro)
- Power Steering Pitman Arm (from any 67-69 PS Camaro)
- Power Steering Pump (Must Be from Chevy Inline 6??)
- Inline 6 Power Steering Pump Bracket

I would appreciate it if someone could take a quick look over this list and potentialy identify any wrong parts or anything I may be missing. I intend to locate most of these parts (especially the $50+ ones) from scrap yards and ebay. If anyone has any Inline 6 Power steering engine compartment pics please feel free to post. Once I have located all the parts I plan to make a step by step video on how to complete this conversion.

Thanks Everyone!

Ian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old May 14th, 10, 10:43 PM
TJS69 TJS69 is online now
Senior Tech

Tom
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Rochester Mn
Posts: 6,882
Smile Re: Inline 6 (250) Power Steering

I would have power steering hoses made to fit your pump and whatever box you use.
__________________
69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 TPI transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old May 14th, 10, 11:05 PM
Ian67 Ian67 is offline
Tech Team

Ian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 67
Default Re: Inline 6 (250) Power Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
I would have power steering hoses made to fit your pump and whatever box you use.
Yeah thats kinda what I was thinking. I was planning on saving the hoses as the last purchase as with the bolts they are the cheapest. My main concern is locating a good used iroc gearbox, pump and the dreaded inline 6 bracket. I am still confused on whether I need an inline 6 pump or if I can get away with a small block/v8 one.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old May 15th, 10, 05:30 AM
deputystoneman deputystoneman is offline
Senior Tech

 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: maryland
Posts: 140
Default Re: Inline 6 (250) Power Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian67 View Post
Yeah thats kinda what I was thinking. I was planning on saving the hoses as the last purchase as with the bolts they are the cheapest. My main concern is locating a good used iroc gearbox, pump and the dreaded inline 6 bracket. I am still confused on whether I need an inline 6 pump or if I can get away with a small block/v8 one.

Thanks!
looking through my junk pile i found a second bracket from a 6. it has a small crack that would need to be welded.
i will send it to you, no charge except for the shipping.

if you want it send me your information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old May 15th, 10, 06:11 AM
deputystoneman deputystoneman is offline
Senior Tech

 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: maryland
Posts: 140
Default Re: Inline 6 (250) Power Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputystoneman View Post
looking through my junk pile i found a second bracket from a 6. it has a small crack that would need to be welded.
i will send it to you, no charge except for the shipping.

if you want it send me your information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old May 15th, 10, 06:54 AM
Everett#2390's Avatar
Everett#2390 Everett#2390 is offline
Moderator

<Jake 68's Rule
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Va Beach VA
Posts: 27,368
Default Re: Inline 6 (250) Power Steering

Nice ride, Deputy.
__________________
Give a man a rescued dog for the health of his soul.
'With enough thrust, pigs can fly.' Other Stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old May 15th, 10, 08:30 AM
Ian67 Ian67 is offline
Tech Team

Ian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 67
Default Re: Inline 6 (250) Power Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputystoneman View Post
looking through my junk pile i found a second bracket from a 6. it has a small crack that would need to be welded.
i will send it to you, no charge except for the shipping.

if you want it send me your information.
Hey Deputy thanks for the generous offer and the perfect pictures! I have sent you a PM with my info. I'll be sure to return to this thread in the event that I need further help.

Thanks again!

Ian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old Jun 6th, 10, 10:02 PM
Ian67 Ian67 is offline
Tech Team

Ian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 67
Default Re: Inline 6 (250) Power Steering

Thanks again Deputy for sending me that bracket. I've been thinking about this setup though. If I plan to get a V8 (stock or 3rd Gen) steering box wouldn't I want a V8 power steering pump too? Like, what is the difference between the I6 pump and a v8 pump? Pictures look the same, mounting and hoses look the same... is it fluid flow rate? If so I'm sure I would want to match up a v8 pump with a v8 box right? Wouldn't I only want a I6 pump if I was getting the stock I6 gearbox?

If anyone can provide some insight that would be awsome! Thanks!

IaN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old Jun 6th, 10, 10:23 PM
TJS69 TJS69 is online now
Senior Tech

Tom
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Rochester Mn
Posts: 6,882
Smile Re: Inline 6 (250) Power Steering

You are talking Steering gear box. The same box can be used for a 6 cylinder or a V-8.
__________________
69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 TPI transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old Jun 6th, 10, 10:26 PM
Ian67 Ian67 is offline
Tech Team

Ian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 67
Default Re: Inline 6 (250) Power Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
You are talking Steering gear box. The same box can be used for a 6 cylinder or a V-8.
So when converting my manual steering Inline 6 to power steering, can I use a V8 Power Steering Pump as well as a V8 power steering box?

IaN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old Jun 6th, 10, 11:03 PM
TJS69 TJS69 is online now
Senior Tech

Tom
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Rochester Mn
Posts: 6,882
Smile Re: Inline 6 (250) Power Steering

You can use whatever pump or whatever box you want !
__________________
69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 TPI transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old Jun 6th, 10, 11:12 PM
Ian67 Ian67 is offline
Tech Team

Ian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 67
Default Re: Inline 6 (250) Power Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
You can use whatever pump or whatever box you want !
Great... cause I've called about every auto wrecker for 500km and nobody has even seen an i6 in the last few years. I could buy a new pump but that wouldn't fit my budget. I already know I can get a V8 pump locally so that should make this project a lot closer to completion.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
chevy 250ci, inline 6 power steering, ps pump
Team Camaro Tech > First Generation Camaro Info and Tech - 1967- 1969 "Where it all started" > Brakes, Suspension & Steering      Current Topic: Inline 6 (250) Power Steering
Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:44 PM.



Camaros.net - 2009 AutoForums.com