Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Performance Our High Performance area

Old May 16th, 10, 01:33 AM
Tech Team

Default HP increase?? 355 sbc heads/cam/intake upgrade????

I have a sbc 350 (355) with forged srp pistons, pink rods, gm crank, etc., and have put on a set of AFR 180 heads, lunati voodoo 60103 cam w/ 1.6 rockers for a bit more lift, Edelbrock performer Air Gap intake, Coan 2800 stall converter, and a 3.42 gear, Holley street avenger 670 carb, and a built 350 trans. the car runs GREAT. Has lots of power down low and really pulls hard up to the top. I'm guessing it probalblly runs high 12's or low 13's in the 1/4 mile. I originally built this car/set up for a good street cruiser, which it is, but I really want some more power, and think it is a very tame car to drive and is VERY streetable...
Here's what I'm thinking about doing.
-having the heads and intake worked, ported/polished, by a great well known performance shop, stepping up to a bigger cam (voodoo)60104, upgrading my converter to a 3400.

What hp increace do you thing I will see?? What 1/4 mile time increace should I expect (even though I haven't ran the car yet)

to me, this car is VERY streetable, and I want to keep it that way, but don't mind a bit more of a WILD street setup.

Suggestions?????
HP guesses now/after??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 10, 04:14 AM
Senior Tech

Steve

Default Re: HP increase?? 355 sbc heads/cam/intake upgrade????

I wouldnt' put a 3400 RPM torque converter in it if you want it to be a reaonably streetable car myself, but then everyone has their own definition of streetable too. Personally I would switch to a roller cam to get the additional HP and keep it driveable on the street and and can be done for the same or less money than the cam, head work, and converter probably. A roller cam can keep the nice lower end pull and add a good deal of torque and hp. Hydraulic if you want to keep the power a bit lower, solid if you want high RPMs (6000 -7500rpm). If you don't have good aftermarket rod bolts in the pink rods I would stay with lower RPM range cam and a Hydraulic roller would be my recomendation.
Old May 16th, 10, 04:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Harry

youll be reving just to take off with that converter lol.
IMO just get some NOS and use it when ya need it.
125 shot outta wake you up.
http://www.northeastf-bodyassn.com/
Old May 16th, 10, 04:46 AM

i drive a 4000 stall on the street just fine with 4:10s, for your setup i would go with 3:73s and a 4k stall.. i think it will really wake up your car..
11.6 @ 115 1.6 60'
Bandimere Speedway 5860 feet
Old May 16th, 10, 09:11 AM
Tech Team

I really like the 3.42 for occasional hwy driving, so that is going to stay. I drove my friends car with a 3500+ converter, you can really feel the engine wind up, but damn, it really makes the car move when you stab it. I could probablly deal with that, or close to it. I'm thinking of maybe sending mine back to Coan and seeing if they could re-stall it to maybe 3200-3400 instead of 2800 if the price is reasonable.
Old May 16th, 10, 08:04 PM
Senior Tech

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg View Post
youll be reving just to take off with that converter lol.
IMO just get some NOS and use it when ya need it.
125 shot outta wake you up.
I totally agree with going for the bottle. I am in the exact same boat. Keep your set up just like it is and add a little spray for when you have the urge. The 3.42's and 2800 stall will work killer with the spray cause of the instant torque increase. Now if you got the extra cash then a proper match hyd roller would be icing on the cake!
9" 3.50
Old May 16th, 10, 09:22 PM
Senior Tech

AJ

What is the current compression ratio?
3,200 stall is totally streetable with the right rear end gears, and a trans cooler.
I agree about the roller cam.
Old May 17th, 10, 03:45 PM
Tech Team

compression is 10:1
I have a trans cooler built in to my radiator and a huge add on trans cooler as well.
Old May 17th, 10, 03:50 PM
Tech Team

What kind of power increase would I see with a roller cam??? I have heard alot of good things about the Voodoo cams, that's why I got the one I have. Any specific roller cam suggestions and other parts needed to make it a roller??? The car feels great now, pulls nice and hard through the whole rpm band, just looking to hop it up some more.
I have been tossing the idea around as well about the spray, say a 100 shot or close. Everything is kind of up in the air right now, just getting some ideas on what to do.
I'll be going to the track in a few weeks to see what kind of 1/4 mile times it gets. Any guesses???
Old May 17th, 10, 04:22 PM
Senior Tech

AJ

A roller will usually make 50hp more just to it being designed better, and way less friction.
You will need new valve springs, new push rods, a new timing chain, thrust button, gaskets etc. Same stuff you would need for a flat tappet cam change but a few extra parts.
I wouldn't go over 230* @.050 with your 10:1 comp.
Small rollers with the right combo make good rwhp for what they are.
I think a few people here run a comp 276 hydraulic roller, it seems to be good.
You will want to at least check piston to valve clearance as rollers are usually above .500" lift.
I'd guess right now the car could run anywhere from a 13.20-12.90, I don't really know much about it though...
Old May 17th, 10, 04:26 PM
Senior Tech

post the cam specs next time, dont make us look'em up
233/241 is too much to a 10:1 350

I'd bump the comp to 10.5:1 - 11:1 with alum heads.
power increase on head work depends on who goes the work and how much. Could be 10-50hp.
Cam wise I'd do a hyd roller around 230-236 with 1.6 rockers on the intake.
RPM intake is good, stick a open spacer on it.
HP750 carb
Good fuel pump?
Whats the exhaust like?

Had a cheapy 350 I threw together for a 69 chevelle I had:
It was around a 400hp engine
TFS homeported heads
Bullit 232/238 hyd. roller
RPM
750 carb
200-4R
2500 stall
411s
1 3/4" headers (too big)
Ran 12.30s @ 110.6 without tuning, I believe 11.9s would have happened with more track time, tuning and good weather.
62 Nova
383/200-4R/12-bolt w 373s
224/224 HR cam
1.57 10.97 @ 121.2

Old May 17th, 10, 05:09 PM
Senior Tech

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by camncars View Post
What kind of power increase would I see with a roller cam??? I have heard alot of good things about the Voodoo cams, that's why I got the one I have. Any specific roller cam suggestions and other parts needed to make it a roller??? The car feels great now, pulls nice and hard through the whole rpm band, just looking to hop it up some more.
I have been tossing the idea around as well about the spray, say a 100 shot or close. Everything is kind of up in the air right now, just getting some ideas on what to do.
I'll be going to the track in a few weeks to see what kind of 1/4 mile times it gets. Any guesses???
As it sits now I would guess it runs some 12.9-13.1 with drag radials.
9" 3.50
Old May 17th, 10, 07:23 PM
Senior Tech

Steiner

If those are the newer AFR-180 Street Eliminators I'd be interested to see what a pro could do with them. They're pretty good as is.

If you want to go roller cam and you've got an earlier block, it's going to cost a bit. Those retro roller lifters are expensive. If your AFR's were not custom built and were purchased complete then your springs may be OK for a mild roller already. They try to build them to where the springs overlap several applications. It's easy enough to have one of the springs checked though. If you go up in spring pressure you may want to think about going to steel roller rockers if you don't have them already.

If your cam specs are what 502 posted, you can go with a cam grind that is closer to a single pattern. With AFR's and decent exhaust I wouldn't think that you'd need the extra eight degrees of exhaust duration unless you're going to spray it.

One other thing....have you had the carb tuned on a dyno? My 670 was pretty lean out of the box even on a 9:1 355 with fairly small cam..... 65 and 68 jets, 0.031 discharge nozzle, and 65 power valve.
538 lb-ft - 500 hp
www.cmengines.com
'69 Camaro X44 Beater - SFT 327 - M20 - Moser 4.10
'02 Z/28 vert - stock
Old May 17th, 10, 08:26 PM
Team Member

Dean

With the alum heads you can run a point of compression easy without denotation.With the efficient runners you would need 4 to 6 degrees split in the cam duration.Always build you engine around the induction system or it will always be a compromise engine combo.Small hyd rollers can make a lot of power if you dont try to get too crazy with the specs.Too much spring and the hyd wont pump up and will clatter and run like crap.I build a 350 based combo at 365 cid.3.56 stroke 4.040 bore 6 inch rods 10.8 compression with Brodix heads and intake ,hyd roller demon carb. 93 octane unleaded 535 hp on the street.My dyno is very concertive.Any thing on the sreet in a stock body 1 gen this is killer and get you in lots of trouble with Johnny Law.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Old May 17th, 10, 08:29 PM
Tech Team

Here are the cam specs now
•Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 268/276
•Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 227/233
•Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .489/.504
•LSA/ICL: 110/106
•Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
•RPM Range: 1800-6200

Part Number: 60103

as stated above, I added 1.6 rockers which makes the lift a bit higher, .5216/.5376
sorry for the lack of info. Car has headers and 2.5" exhaust w/H-pipe
I "street tuned" the carb and went a bit fatter on the jets, if I remember correctly, I think I also put different discharge nozzles and power valve, works great.
The heads are out of the box AFR 180 part number AFR-0918 specs here-->http://www.airflowresearch.com/index.php?cPath=24_25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Team Camaro Tech > All Generations > Performance      Current Topic: HP increase?? 355 sbc heads/cam/intake upgrade????
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.