Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

Old Jun 23rd, 10, 09:18 PM

Default 69 Camaro headliner- how hard are they to install

i have never done one of these before, if i take my time is it possible to do it right and look good when its done ,any tips? i still have the original 69 liner in there now but 1 seam finally came apart. not bad for 40 years old.

whats the going rate to have a pro interior dude install it? i have no idea what the job takes as far as time and money
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 23rd, 10, 11:09 PM
Senior Tech

Default Re: 69 camaro headliner- how hard are they to install

they asked me a 175.00 & i furnished headliner.if windows are out not to bad.i put my own in & have a wrinkle or two but it looks great.need to get the thing centered & be careful when you slit the cloth that the rods go threw.personally i would never do it again it was 90 degrees & i let mine lay stretched out on a 4x8 piece of plywood for 2 hours before i put it in.it was a frickin nightmare for me to get the wrinkles out.i will never do any more.would have been the best 175 i could have spent.its do able by your self but a lot more work getting in & out of car my Buddie helped me after i got mad & was ready to tear up headliner.I'm very short tempered & have very little patience.took me 4-5 hours to do & all the positions you have to get your body in to put the headliner in is he--
Old Jun 23rd, 10, 11:10 PM

Jon

Yes. Pay the 175 to have it done correctly!
Old Jun 23rd, 10, 11:26 PM
Senior Tech

Jerod

My 1969 Camaro is going in on monday. I have been told by a few that it is not fun. The local interior shop here is going to charge $250 and that is me including headliner, I have the new window trim for both front and back and the headliner trim pieces that do around the door opening on the edge of the headliner. Then my interior will be new. Looks to difficult and easy to mess up. Plus if everyone is looking at the inside you want a professional look to it. Thanks, Jerod
Old Jun 24th, 10, 01:19 AM
Senior Tech

Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6t9z View Post
i have never done one of these before, if i take my time is it possible to do it right and look good when its done ,any tips? i still have the original 69 liner in there now but 1 seam finally came apart. not bad for 40 years old.

whats the going rate to have a pro interior dude install it? i have no idea what the job takes as far as time and money
I did the headliner in my 68 (I think 68 & 69 would pretty close as far as headliners), first time I've tried something like that.
It's not easy but I was happy with the results.
Note that I did not have glass in when I did mine.
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=160730

Almost finished (?) 68 Camaro
383 stroker
T350
12 bolt Moser
Old Jun 24th, 10, 02:42 AM
Senior Tech

Scott

It requires patience but is not hard. Depends on what one's idea of a hard task is. There were no wrinkles in the first one I did. I did not recruit any on-line help, just the simple sheet that came in the box. I did it alone and without a million clips like other use. But can see where clips might help. No problems with the following two liners and also no wrinkles. People who go into this with doubts have already set themselves up for a fall and would be better off paying someone to do it. You know of what you are capable better than anyone. I've read and seen more failure than success.
Old Jun 24th, 10, 03:57 AM

Default Re: 69 Camaro headliner- how hard are they to install

It isn't that difficult.
The binder clips will help, but you can use the pinchweld molding to serve the same purpose.
If you're going to use new molding, squeeze it all along it's length first to tighten it up. They come pretty loose out of the box\bag.

The toughest areas to me were the 4 corners. Deciding how to transition them and where to cut. I messed up the back two corners.
Use your sail panels as guides when you're around the back window opening and quarter window opening.

STREET MACHINES OF ROCHESTER

SEMA ACTION NETWORK

UNITED SERVICES ORGANIZATION (USO)
Old Jun 24th, 10, 01:25 PM
Senior Tech

Steps

One of the very few jobs I dont do....
I got a pro in to do mine...took him under couple hrs including a couple coffees.
Glass was out.
Cost a couple 6 packs and 50 bucks cash...which in US $ terms about 50/70 bucks all up.
It is very much a 'trick of the trade ' thing..knowing how the material moves /streaches when pulled from where....
I was able to watch him...he pulled in areas I would never had done so to get tiny wrinkles out as he went.
It is one of those things you need to do once and do it right.
I finished off the trim sail panels etc myself.
Old Jun 24th, 10, 03:53 PM
Senior Tech

I put my own in it took a while and my fingers hurt. Its not perfect I have a little quarter sized area above the rear of the sail panel that i glued a bit of headliner to the metal cause I over cut, then another area I cut too much of the bow sleeve which caused a domino effect. If I were to do it again I could put one in flawlessly. In fact the front 3 sections are way to tight and almost perfect except for an issue with the middle bow snap areas. I had a hell of a time getting the shoulder belt stuffed behind the retainers.

I believe the headliner sleeve should be cut where the bows snap in. I found a lot of people saying they should and should not. I did not cut mine and with as tight as my headliner is there is a peak in the middle because the bow sleeve is pinched up in there.
Old Jun 24th, 10, 06:32 PM

<Jake 68's Rule

I did mine, it time consuming, thumbs hurt like no tomorrow, I didn't use glue, you're suppose to? I did cut the sleeving before pushing the bows into the clips and I laid the liner unfolded in the sun for a couple hours, makes it more pliable and removes some of the wrinkles.

I set the bows in place, then pulled the corners tight and bent the material over the edge and seated the cloth onto the 'teeth.' Then came back and worked from the middle to the corners doing the same method, bend over the edge and clip onto the teeth. Then rolled on the molding.

Hint: measure from the corner of window and qtr panel to where the shoulder belt anchor bolt threads into and the clips and up from the edge. This way you have a reference where to poke the holes for the hardware.

Iwas done and ready for a cold beverage or two. I can see why I'm not a headliner guy, at least a bow headliner. Cardboard headliners are not a problem, I could do those all day long.
Old Jun 28th, 10, 04:59 PM

thanks for the great advise. i am a mechanic by trade,but this is one job i have never had to try. i build engines, that is my area . i think i will have this done by a pro because i have even less free time than money.
Old Jun 28th, 10, 06:04 PM
Senior Tech

Alan

Boy, sounds like quite the adventure!!! Ya gotta wonder how they did it on a production basis back in the day when time was money!!!

alan
Old Jun 28th, 10, 06:44 PM
Senior Tech

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrw View Post
Boy, sounds like quite the adventure!!! Ya gotta wonder how they did it on a production basis back in the day when time was money!!!

alan
Like any task, proficiency and speed increases with repetition. Quote from this thread: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=177018

"In the plant, we had rotating "teams" of headliner installers; they'd get in the car and ride it for 5-6 car lengths, then go back up the line and ride another one. They were "prima donnas", and were a huge PITA to supervise. We solved that problem with the one-piece molded headliner in '70 or '71."
Old Jun 29th, 10, 12:20 AM
Senior Tech

I did mine with all the windows out, not too bad. It has a few wrinkles in the back, if I ever do another it would come out great.

One Saturday afternoon when it was in the 70s no sweet, installed the trim on Sunday.

I must have more patience and a different idea of difficult...
Old Jun 29th, 10, 03:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jim

The only thing that's holding me back right now is that all of my trim, and I mean ALL of my trim, is in one pile...so I have no idea what pieces are headliner trim.
Going to take some time to sort that one out.

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.

Engine pics
http://http://www.camaros.net/forums/album.php?albumid=1937

Radiator pics http://http://www.camaros.net/forums/album.php?albumid=1929
Sponsored Links
Advertisement