Need pics of 396 Oil Press Switch and Temp Switch Wiring - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

Old Nov 13th, 10, 05:51 PM
Senior Tech

Ryan

Default Need pics of 396 Oil Press Switch and Temp Switch Wiring

All...I have searched and could not find anything...I have got a new engine wiring harness, and new dash harness and fuse panel. The car also got a new temp switch and oil press switch as the DPO removed them.

Any chance of someone sharing some pics of how the wires/connectors should be routed, and where the switches should go.

The AIM shows the temp switch up next to the t-stat housing but I think that is for a small block and the harness break out is on front of the master cylinder on the fender so I am thinking the switch should be somewhere on the LH side of the engine.

The AIM also shows the oil pressure switch up by the distributor, but It is not clear to me where.

Any shots of the correct wiring and switch locations would be greatly appreciated.
1987 Regal

http://s304.photobucket.com/home/hatdragracer/allalbums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 13th, 10, 06:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

John

Default Re: Need pics of 396 Oil Press Switch and Temp Switch Wiring

Top of the intake next to distributor?
Old Nov 13th, 10, 11:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

cb

I thought starting in '67 the temp sensor moved from the intake to the left head??? The harness should have a Dark Green wire branching out of it. For '68, it branches out w/ the alternator wires. For '69, I believe it went to the back of the engine and then branches out. It probably runs along the bottom of the valve cover until it drops down for the sensor/switch. '68 AIM shows the light harness in UPC 12, Sheet A9 and the engine harness in UPC 12, Sheet A11 (V8).

For '68, the oil pressure line/switch is connected above the oil filter mount. There should be a tapped hole there for the line or switch. UPC L35, Sheet A4, View B '68 AIM.
Old Nov 14th, 10, 10:22 AM
Senior Tech

Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingskibiker View Post
It probably runs along the bottom of the valve cover until it drops down for the sensor/switch.

For '68, the oil pressure line/switch is connected above the oil filter mount. There should be a tapped hole there for the line or switch. UPC L35, Sheet A4, View B '68 AIM.
I think I figured out the temp switch issue...if the below pic is correct I dont have a port in this location for the temp switch

The oil pressure switch in the location above the oil filter makes sense, as that is where the DPO installed the gauge plumbing. My main concern is that is is very close to the clutch bellcrank...is there other plumbing like an elbow?

I know this is 3rd grade stuff to most of you, but I dont have a reference that shows detail routing/orientation and the AIM is a little fuzzy on this....if one of you could take a snap or two I would appreciate it.

I have removed the aftermarket gauges so I will be depending on the idiot lights.
1987 Regal

Last edited by hatdragracer; Nov 14th, 10 at 02:48 PM.
Old Nov 15th, 10, 11:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

cb

Welp, I too have an aftermarket oil gauge on my engine that was on it when I bought it. It has developed leaks a couple times over the years. I'm pretty sure it just comes straight out of the block. Now, I bought the elbow that is listed as the "high performance" version. It has larger threads than the lower hp engine(s) version. I haven't installed it, yet. But it looks like it would work IF it isn't correct...

Do you know what heads and year they are? I don't have the temp sensor boss tapped, either. But mine are '66 heads... I believe '67s had the boss and they started tapping them for the '68 model year.?.? There were some "cross over " heads in '67 that had them, as well.?.?
Old Nov 16th, 10, 12:03 AM
Senior Tech

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatdragracer View Post
The AIM shows the temp switch up next to the t-stat housing but I think that is for a small block and the harness break out is on front of the master cylinder on the fender so I am thinking the switch should be somewhere on the LH side of the engine.
UPC 12 A4 shows the temp wire exiting the headlamp harness.
UPC 12 A7 show the temp switch location on V8 engines. On a BBC it's just below the valve cover and between #3 & #5 cylinders. Yes, your pic shows it correctly.
Ignore the pressure switch location on that page for 396.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatdragracer View Post
The AIM also shows the oil pressure switch up by the distributor, but It is not clear to me where.
Wrong chapter..
L35 A9 View B. This is for the pressure switch (dash warning lamp) and not the optional pressure gauge plumbing. View B points to "Prod switch". You will also note the drawn wire is part of the engine harness. The gauge plumbing is U17 A3 View C, and it clearly shows the drawn pressure tube passing through the firewall on it's way to the gauge.

Also which AIM are you looking at? Which page shows the temp switch up next to the t-stat housing ?
Old Nov 16th, 10, 06:09 AM
Senior Tech

Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingskibiker View Post
Do you know what heads and year they are? I don't have the temp sensor boss tapped, either. But mine are '66 heads... I believe '67s had the boss and they started tapping them for the '68 model year.?.? There were some "cross over " heads in '67 that had them, as well.?.?
My heads are from a 66 Chevelle with 325hp

The block is as well, so it looks like I need the elbow with the smaller threads until I get the correct block and heads in the car.

Thanks for the info!
1987 Regal

Old Nov 16th, 10, 06:14 AM
Senior Tech

Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutSteve View Post
Also which AIM are you looking at? Which page shows the temp switch up next to the t-stat housing ?
I was looking at the 69 AIM manaual, UPC12...I dont have the manual with me at work to give you the actual page. It did show a small block with the sender just next to the t-stat housing...I will verify tonight when I get home...if memory serves the lines were in a phantom font...so it might have just been GM reusing background geometry in their drawings.

I got the main harness installed last night, and have started going through and checking the connections to the front harness and engine harness with a volt meter...so far so good!

I greatly appreciate the feedback.
1987 Regal

Old Nov 16th, 10, 01:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Fred

Is this the Restoration Forum? I'll check and be right back.
Nope. OK, now here's the deal when my car was new. The temp sender came out of the drivers side head between #5&7. The temp guage didn't like that. It was all over the place. But that might have been because the original cooling system didn't have a recovery tank. They weren't invented yet. No tank meant the car would leave a puddle of antifreeze where ever it was turned off. Moving it to the top the the intake manifold solved that problem. Of course one or two other problems, not related to the sender have come up over the years.
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495, 128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.
http://epitomesrebuild.com/
http://ss427.net/
Old Nov 16th, 10, 10:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

cb

Yah, I have to run the temp sensor in the manifold on my '66 engine. Some intake manifolds have a tapped port for it, some don't (like my '68 3x2 manifold). Since I currently don't run a heater, I just use that port. But I plan to (re)install a heater. I bought a thermostat housing that has the correct size hole in it for a sensor. We'll see how that goes IF I run the 3x2 instead of the original manifold...
Old Nov 17th, 10, 01:34 PM
Senior Tech

Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutSteve View Post
My bad...I was looking at a restoration book with excerpts from the AIM's...even though I was in the 1969 section the label on the picture in the book says "* 1967 Camaro Shown"
1987 Regal

Old Nov 17th, 10, 10:37 PM
Senior Tech

Steve

Right on Brother! Hope you got/get it sorted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Team Camaro Tech > First Generation Camaro Info and Tech - 1967- 1969 "Where it all started" > Electrical & Wiring      Current Topic: Need pics of 396 Oil Press Switch and Temp Switch Wiring
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.