Team Camaro Tech banner

Al's 67' rebuild

147K views 439 replies 66 participants last post by  allanjs 
#1 ·
Hi all, I have been a TC member for a while now and really enjoy reading the build threads and
helping out where I can. This is going to be the start my own build thread but thought I would
give a little back ground info. first. I am not new to Camaros' at all as my first one was a
67'RS I owned in high school. That was a few years ago as I am 56 now. I also owned a 70-1/2RS
in 1976 and in 78' bought a brand new Firebird. Back then they were just cars and nothing real
special. Little did I know. When I was 16 yrs old I worked for a very highly regarded front end
alignment and brake shop. For the month of May the owner worked through Bear Alignment Services
at the Indy 500 setting up car suspensions and tire balancing. I learned a ton and met alot of
really fine people. After 4 years I gave up that job to persue my second passion, machining.
Anyway, 8 years ago I started on a quest to buy a 1st. gen. Camaro and ended up buying a
67', 327, 3spd., column shift plain Jane. It is a 2 owner unmolested car so it has been a pretty
good start in which to rebuild. I started the rebuild soon after purchasing the car but about 6
months into it I had to put it on hold due to my employeer of 24 yrs.
"closing the doors". I decided I didn't want to work for anyone else and ended up opening my own
machine job shop. That's been an up and down battle for numorous reasons I won't go into here but
the business is doing fine now so I have started back into the Camaro rebuild. After dissasembling
the front sub frame I powder coated all of it. The interior is completely gutted and will be
replaced to pretty much original condition. The engine will be rebuilt and I am installing an
automatic trans. with console. Shifting is not cool on me due to bad knees. I most likely will
also install a vintage air system. Now for the body. So far I have replaced the drivers floor board
and drivers door. Also replaced the left outer wheel housing. What a nightmare that was. See my
thread http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=189523
I am currently working on replacing both quarter panels and the tail panel. My original intent was
not to replace the complete quarters or tail panel, but after starting into fitting the new
left side partial quarter I found the car had been hit very lightly in the rear at some point. The
partial quarter included the full door jam and fit like a glove but due to the previous damage in
the rear the tail panel and remaining original quarter were not going to be salvageable so off came
the tail panel and most of the quarter panel. I also have most of the right side quarter off so I
could test fit the left quarter and tail panel. The new left side full quarter (Goodmark) is not
correct. So here I go again, trying to make candy out of sh!t. The lower bend that slips between the
door jam support and rocker was off about 1/4". So I had to flatten out the bend and rebend it in
the proper location. It turned out fine but man do I hate lousy fitting sheet metal. There's just
no good reason for this. The partial quarter I have fit perfect and is much heavier. I believe
the partial quarter is stamped by the same supplier AMD uses. The pair came to me in a box labled
OER. The new drivers door shell was also labled OER and fit absolutely great. The weather strip
channel formed in the full quarter is way off causing about a 1/2" gap where it fits to the tail
panel. Right now it looks like I will have to make a pie cut in the weather strip channel and reform
the area. So far the tail panel (OER) looks to be ok. Well, that's where I'm at in my build and
will be updating this thread but progress is slow at best.

This is what I started with. The gentleman in the pics is the previous owner. I used a tow dolly to get it to
a friends shop. After a quick tune up and some brake work, I actually drove it home !! About 5 miles.

Sub frame removed

Original drivers door

New door shell installed

Quarter panel cut away and left wheel house replaced

Left side tail panel current. Notice the missalignment in the weather
strip channel. Nice huh. Hooray for repops. I can push the tail panel in to
meet the weather strip channel but then the tail panel is in too far under the quarter panel
and the trunk lid (original for now) does not fit the tail panel correctly.

Left quarter and tail panel current

Al

See less See more
#2 ·
Al... Very cool background and Camaro story. I just added your thread to my subscriptions and will follow/help along the way...

Yep-- repros do have their needs. I found that out too... on just about every part I bought. Some fit better than others, but they will all still need something.

I have had a heck of a time with my pass side quarter panel-- the same issues as you are having--exactly. With a little creative slicing and re-welding the slice to make the pieces fit, you'll make it happen. Since a 67 and 68's body is most similar, you should definitely take a long peek at Terry's (cheby2)'s build thread. He ran into the same issues too with his quarters right where you are. He posted some awesome pics that will help right where you need on your trunk weatherstrip gutter where it meets the tail panel gutter. (I had the same issue, but not that extreme, with my '69 quarters to tail panel gutter curves.) *Wait until you see the next modification I need to do to the pass side quarter panel jamb area on mine.... geez--- you'd think that they were blind when stamping this one out. Amazing!:mad:

Just think, if it were so easy to rebuild these to perfection, everyone would have one, and they'd be less than special... Enjoy the resto and let us know if you need help along the way. Looks like a great/solid car to start with.:yes:

#3 ·
Good luck with your build, I will be following. You can click the link at the bottom to see my build if you have any questions or if I can help just drop me a message.

#6 ·
Thanks guys. Looks like there is some interest. Right now I'm trying
to figure out what to do with the weather channel fit at the quarter
and tail panel. I'm Probably going to cut a section on the quarter and
reform it here in the next 1/2hr or so. Tom, to subscribe to a thread,
after you open the thread there will be a selection box towards the
right side at the top of the thread that says "Thread Tools". Click
on that and then follow the prompts. Thanks again for the support
guys. This has been an invaluable site.

Al

#7 ·
...Right now I'm trying
to figure out what to do with the weather channel fit at the quarter
and tail panel. I'm Probably going to cut a section on the quarter and
reform it here in the next 1/2hr or so. ....
Al

What a perfect time to invent the "El Camaro" instead of repairing that quarter. l:) Just teasin'... Cut and weld, cut and weld....:yes::thumbsup::beers:

#8 ·
Here's a few ideas....

#9 ·
Oops-! I forgot this classic.... (Al-- If you are completely mad at me for posting these, I will happily remove them all.... just let me know. I just couldn't resist adding some humor to break the ice.... I guess it's my crazy style here....)

#10 ·
Todd, I already invented (re-invented) the Elcamino. This was my
first and only BC/CC paint job. Not too bad for a guy in his garage.
I did learn how to wet sand and buff. My arms still hurt and that
was like 8 yrs ago. Biggest challenge was replacing the left side
quarter panel. It's a 1980. I sold it about 3 yrs ago now. Click on
the picture to see the slide show. The seats (swap meet find) are
from a Toyota of some kind.

Al

#12 ·
Those are all El Camaros.... Lol... except for the 80's one. That's an Elky with a Camaro nose...

Your Elky looks awesome! Super clean! Very nice job on that resto...:yes:

#13 ·
Todd, As long as you don't call them a Ford I'm happy. I would love
to own the gold one.
Worked on my tail panel to quarter panel fit and got it a bit closer.
Looks like I will have to cut and reform the weather channel area.
Just too tired and worn out to do it tonight. Might make a mistake
so I'm calling it quits for today.

Al

#14 ·
That quarter to tail corner looks much better. Nice work. Reminds me of what I went through with mine there too. (both sides)...:sad:

#16 ·
Wow !! Am I glad I didn't start cutting last night. I just figured out
most of the quarter to tail fitment problem is in the tail panel itself.
The damn thing is 3/8" short !!! I plain hate these lousy after market
panels. I probably should have caught it sooner. Something just kept
telling me to keep looking. So, the tail panel is going back to the
supplier. I set the original tail panel back on the car. It fits much closer.
Not perfect, but it has some damage and that's the whole reason I
decided to change it out. Geez !! Can a guy catch a break ??
Here's a pic so you see what I'm talking about and maybe help
someone out in a similar situation. Supposedly there is a company in
Michigan stamping some (not sure what) parts for 1st gen's.
Does anyone have any info on them ? The measurement I'm trying to
show is from the weather channel outer edge, to the outside edge
of the panel overhang.

Al

#17 ·
Wow---- I feel for ya man... that does suck. I have said it numerous times on here..... Why can't they get the repros stamped out more accurately with today's technology? !!!!!!!!

Swap it out and move on. You'll be happy. Good catch there! :yes:

#18 ·
You know what I want to know...many antique pieces, like furniture, watches, etc. are valued as much for their patina as for what they are. Why can't this apply to our cars? Then a rolling rust bucket wouldn't be a basket case, it would be highly prized, and the over-restored cars would be scorned and sent packing. :)

Robert

#19 ·
Robert-- I have often had the same thought with these... That's why I didn't go out and buy a replacement piece for every interior and dash part. I'd rather see some minor wear here and there. Anyone can build a repro car, but not many Camaro owners will have original parts left inside.

As for the body, I had no choice on some panels, so my Camaro is part-oriental now. So be it..

#21 ·
and I'm drivin' a Dynacorn Demon.:D

#22 ·
Todd, You kill me. "so my Camaro is part-oriental now". LMAOl:)
At this point it looks like the only "original" sheet metal parts
that will remain on my car are , passenger door, hood & roof.
I will be reusing some of the interior parts also. Some show a
bit of wear but still function properly.
Robert, there have been many days I felt I should have just
left my car as it was. Rust and all. Hell, it was a driver.

Al

#23 ·
Talked to my supplier today about the bad tail panel. He is currently
out of stock so I'll have to wait a week to get a replacement. I will
just have to work on some other area this weekend. Like that will
be a problem. LOL. Always something to change my plans. I'm starting
to think I should have bought 2 of everything I needed from different
mfg's, just to have a choice and a back up.

Al

#24 ·
I can vouch for that too.... There's always something else you can do on the resto. I love making lists for this reason. It keeps me focused and in check on the right path... Good catch on that tail panel...:yes:

Just a side note... I am on my second tail light panel, and third set of full quarters, and STILL had all kinds of issues with the passenger side as we have all seen in my thread. Just goes to show you that all panels are not equal, and unfortunately,... the grass in not always greener. Hopefully-- you will get a much nicer one next time around in exchange.

The first thing I would do is compare and measure the next one to your original panel before even setting on the car for a test-fit. You are probably one step ahead of me though, and already thinking that I imagine. :yes: I do think you are doing the right thing by having it swapped out in that case-- instead of making it fit with numerous mods. Too much work for a new panel and you drew the line at the right time.... (before getting too deep)

#25 ·
Yep, Lists are a good thing Todd. Helps keep a project rolling.
2 tail panels and 3 sets of quarters !! Wow !! My supplier
has not given me any problems at all with returns. I think in that business
you have to have thick skin. I'll bet they get an ear full from some people.
I will be taking my original tail panel with me. Also calipers and tape measure.
I'm also getting a new passenger side full quarter so I'll be able
to match that up with the tail panel. I've read many rebuild threads and
questions where someone can't get something to fit and they have no original
parts left. I have virtually every piece I cut or chopped off piled
in a corner. I also have tons of pictures. I can't tell you how many times I have dug
through that pile looking for a piece to compare or plowed through my pictures.
Document, document, document. I can't say it enough.
I am by no means a professional body man but here is a tip I would like
to share. Buy a contour gage. It is invaluable when comparing new parts
to old, or left side to right side, etc.

Al

#26 ·
I didn't get a whole lot accomplished this weekend. Spent more time
figuring out a couple of areas and removed the rest of the right side
quarter panel. Started fiddling with the right rear wheel house also.
I'm going to splice this side as the left side was such a fiasco.
Seems like a guy spends more time planning than he does doing, but
that's not a bad thing. I'll post a picture once I get the splice done.
I'm planning on butt welding it and then weld it soild. Seems like the
best way to go. I won't have the new quarter panel until this weekend
so I'm going to just tack weld the wheel house splice so I'm sure the
quarter will fit properly.

#27 ·
Back at this tail panel problem. I finally made the trip to my supplier
yesterday and the new tail panel he had for me has the same darn
problem. He said he's never had one returned before but is more than
willing to order one from a different supplier. The 2 I have received are
OER brand. He's offering to order Golden Legion (1 week delivery) or
just about any brand I want to try. I'm sure I can butcher the OER
and make it work but it just doesn't seem like that should be required.
I started another thread asking for suggestions.
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=191081
In the mean time I have been working on the right outer wheel house and
am just about done with it. I just have to check the quarter panel
fit one more time before welding the wheel house splice in. Hopefully
I can get that done this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.