GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Old Feb 16th, 11, 07:03 AM

Brad

Default My experience with Blueprint engines

I've read a lot of good and bad things about BP engines but, as the old saying goes, it only takes one screw up to erase 100 attaboys. So, I've decided to purchase a Blueprint Engine through Summit Racing and write about my experience. FYI They are now available in a hydraulic roller set up. I purchased the motor yesterday (Feb. 14, 2011) and have had several discussions with the tech staff. I have been very impressed with there attitudes and knowledge. I am going to continue to post information about my engine installation and give BP engines an honest review. As I go through this process I will update everyone regularly up to the end of my warranty period.

Last edited by BThomas327; Feb 16th, 11 at 07:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 16th, 11, 07:29 PM
Senior Tech

Steiner

Default Re: My experience with Blueprint engines

What model did you get?
538 lb-ft - 500 hp
www.cmengines.com
'69 Camaro X44 Beater - SFT 327 - M20 - Moser 4.10
'02 Z/28 vert - stock
Old Feb 16th, 11, 08:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

robert

If it is bad it will be vendor bashing and this post will be pulled as bad as that seems you can tell the good , but only the bad with no names I do not know how this always helps the members but it is the RULES
Old Feb 16th, 11, 08:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Ben

I am really interested in how this turns out. I am in the market for a crate motor for my 69.

I hope this thread doesn't get pulled. As long as it is an honest review of one person's experience I feel this can be helpful to all of the forum members. But what do I know?
Old Feb 17th, 11, 05:45 AM
Senior Tech

Chris

I look forward to this thread also. I purchased a Blueprint engine from Summit for my 68. I installed it, but my project is far from the point where the engine will be ready to fire up.
I have contacted Blueprint several times via email, and they answered all my questions (regardless of how silly they were) very quickly and they did not make me feel stupid.
Old Feb 17th, 11, 06:23 AM

Brad

The part# I ordered is BP38313CT1. You won't find much on it right now as I said it's a new setup with roller lifters. As for the vendor bashing thing, I hope this doesn't get pulled either. I had a really hard time making up my mind on what to purchase and with all the mixed reviews out there. Right now I feel like I am taking a bit of a risk. All I can say is that I am not going to "Bash" any company just let you know how my progress is going. Be it good or bad.
Old Feb 17th, 11, 06:28 AM
Senior Tech

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rherring View Post
If it is bad it will be vendor bashing and this post will be pulled as bad as that seems you can tell the good , but only the bad with no names I do not know how this always helps the members but it is the RULES

Hopefully if there is bad experience (hope there isn't), as long as he tries to work it out with the vendor first (before posting), then I don't think it should be considered vendor bashing. A honest review of one's experience (w/o an axe to grind), isn't bashing imho.
Old Feb 23rd, 11, 07:34 PM

Brad

Talked to BP today. They're going to build my engine next week. Ship date is March 11th. Just keeping everyone informed.
Old Feb 24th, 11, 09:40 AM
Senior Tech

Travis

Brad,

I'm so interested to see how your expierence goes with Blueprint as I'm thinking about one of their crate motors as well. I don't see the model you're talking about on their web site .. but I'm looking at either BP3834CT1 ($3200) or BP3833CT1 ($3800). I compared those to the GM ZZ383 crate which is $5200. Seems to me like going with Blueprint will be a good way to save around 2 grand? I'll probably have to make a decision within the next month. I'll subscribe to your thread and follow along. Are you doing base or dressed? Any opinion on their aluminum heads vs. the Vortec heads?

Last edited by vambercidw; Feb 24th, 11 at 09:51 AM.
Old Feb 24th, 11, 10:13 AM
Senior Tech

B...t

I installed my Blueprint 383 last weekend and have drove it for a grand total of 6 miles so far. It seems like a real beast.

Bottom line lessons learned so far:
  • You need an 8" damper--the Professional Products 80003 is a nice one--I paid $93 but you can find them cheaper than that.
  • You need a timing tab especially for an 8" damper (u'd think I wud've known).
  • A 7" balancer timing tab will throw your timing off by at least 10 degrees.
  • Flexplate must be specifically for a one-piece rear main seal--my pre-86 motor used a different plate
  • Blueprint Customer service thus far has been amazing--5 stars.
  • A Holley Street Avenger 670 sits low on the intake. You will need a very low profile vacuum fitting for the rear of the intake if you want to run vacuum from there (i.e. RS lights)
  • The motors come painted black
  • The motor has a chrome "Silver Seal" brand oil pan
  • They recommend you use Rotella 15W-40 in the motor
  • They use a FelPro one-piece oil pan/timing cover seal
  • They provide you with all of the Felpro seals that are leftover in the kit (water pump, distributor, etc)
  • The motor does NOT include the oil filter adapter. You need GM part # 3952301 and the two bolts 3951644 for it.
  • NAPA Gold filter is FIL-1061...it costs about $6.50 and is one of the best you can get (or Wix or K&N)
  • The SCAT crank snout is (of course) brand new--the balancer will take some muscle to get it on.

That's all I can think of for now...
Old Feb 24th, 11, 10:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Michael Gekko

Travis,
I have two racing friends who have the GM Perf ZZ383 engines and they are tickled with them. These guys race at about 40 races per year and have had the engines in their cars for going on 6 years with no issues at all.

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
Old Feb 24th, 11, 10:42 AM
Senior Tech

Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentmc View Post
I installed my Blueprint 383 last weekend and have drove it for a grand total of 6 miles so far. It seems like a real beast.

Bottom line lessons learned so far:
  • You need an 8" damper--the Professional Products 80003 is a nice one--I paid $93 but you can find them cheaper than that.
  • You need a timing tab especially for an 8" damper (u'd think I wud've known).
  • A 7" balancer timing tab will throw your timing off by at least 10 degrees.
  • Flexplate must be specifically for a one-piece rear main seal--my pre-86 motor used a different plate
  • Blueprint Customer service thus far has been amazing--5 stars.
  • A Holley Street Avenger 670 sits low on the intake. You will need a very low profile vacuum fitting for the rear of the intake if you want to run vacuum from there (i.e. RS lights)
  • The motors come painted black
  • The motor has a chrome "Silver Seal" brand oil pan
  • They recommend you use Rotella 15W-40 in the motor
  • They use a FelPro one-piece oil pan/timing cover seal
  • They provide you with all of the Felpro seals that are leftover in the kit (water pump, distributor, etc)
  • The motor does NOT include the oil filter adapter. You need GM part # 3952301 and the two bolts 3951644 for it.
  • NAPA Gold filter is FIL-1061...it costs about $6.50 and is one of the best you can get (or Wix or K&N)
  • The SCAT crank snout is (of course) brand new--the balancer will take some muscle to get it on.
That's all I can think of for now...
The infamous timing vs balancer size I have dont that before, doh! Another balancer to look into is the Powerbond (or Pioneer) #PB1046-N. Much better balancer as far as quality goes and can probably find it for a little less.

ATK HP ENGINES
WWW.HIGH-PERFORMANCE-ENGINES.COM
Custom Built Street-Strip-Racing Engines
Old Feb 25th, 11, 01:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Mike

Anxious to see how this works out also. Bought a BP383OCTC1 (Fully dressed 383) just over two years ago. Just removed it from the shipping crate and in the process of adding the flywheel, clutch assembly and transmission for a test fit. I'm still a long ways from firing it though---ton of stuff to do before that happens. Excellent customer support so far.
Old Feb 25th, 11, 07:13 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentmc View Post
The SCAT crank snout is (of course) brand new--the balancer will take some muscle to get it on..
You really should measure the balancer id and the crank od before installing the balancer. New parts may be out of spec slightly and give more (or less) than the required press fit. You should have .0009 to .0012 press fit. The balancer may have to be honed to correct the fit. Read this...http://www.atiracing.com/instructions/Super-Damper.pdf
Old Feb 25th, 11, 08:17 PM
Senior Tech

some muscle to get on? just hit it with a hammer... ha ha ha..... PLEASE DON"T! I think it is funny that the harmonic balancer puller tool rental from autozone is nice and used and the balancer installer tool is brand new, has been there for years and again, brand new never used until I needed it! Oh well right!

Keep us posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement