Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Old Mar 24th, 11, 11:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Mike

Default Fuel line, how to install it?

i have a problem with the fuelline in my 69 Camaro 350 cui. I believe, that the pre-Owner installed the line incorrect. The line comes from the fuel pump upwards, behind the alternator and then with a sharp buckling across the engine to the carburetor. Is this the correct course? Because i have the problem of gas getting to hot.

Here is a link to my german V8 Club. It is a picture of my fuel line. You can see the buckle behind the alternator bracket and the fuel line fixed with cable clips at the cooling water hose.

http://www.ami-stammtisch.de/mediaga...00923071652458

Maybe someone has a picture of the original installation.

Thanks a lot and sorry for my english.....;-)
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 24th, 11, 12:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

John

Unhappy Re: fuel line, how to install it?

Best I can tell from your photo - someone has run a 'fools-plumbing-nightmare' of rubber tubing from the original steel fuel line (from fuel pump) to the carb (a Holley by looks) inlet(s)

The only recommendation I would have is to refit the vehicle with a 69 and later 'Z28' type fuel line set-up for a Holley.
Here is a link to the parts needed - http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...IYT0tgPxgv2gCg

This may take some minor re-bending or rework to fit nicely, but it should correct the issue.

Hope other chime-in with input
Other V6 things - none of which float
Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Old Mar 26th, 11, 09:42 AM
Senior Tech

John

Default Re: fuel line, how to install it?

Vintage,
Does that fuel line (in your link) "bolt on" to a standard 350 w/ mechanical pump and a Holley? Does it go behind the alternator? Is there a length of rubber hose somewhere in the equation?
Thanks,
John
Old Mar 26th, 11, 12:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

John

Default Re: fuel line, how to install it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookobird View Post
Vintage,
Does that fuel line (in your link) "bolt on" to a standard 350 w/ mechanical pump and a Holley? ...
Yes, it is made for the standard SBC Fuel Pump to dual inlet Holley carb. set-up as used on some 327's and the 302.
The installation would be the same dimensions (+/- a small tweek here or there dependant on manifold flange height) for any given SBC.

Quote:
Vintage,
Does it go behind the alternator? ...
Yes, it routes from the fuel pump up behind the alternator and bends at the manifold back to the passenger side of the carb.

Quote:
... Is there a length of rubber hose somewhere in the equation?
Thanks,
John
No there should be no rubber hose from the fuel pump to the carb. (pressure side).
You're asking for issues when rubber hose is run in these areas
Other V6 things - none of which float
Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Old Mar 26th, 11, 02:37 PM
Senior Tech

Glenn

Default Re: Fuel line, how to install it?

When you get the duel inlet fuel line for your Holley carb. , make sure you order the correct size. They are made with 5/16" inlet size and 3/8" inlet size.Also with the correct spacing between fuel bowls. I agree with the others--NO rubber lines sould be used.
Old Mar 27th, 11, 07:01 PM
Team Member

John

Here's what it will look like when it's correctly installed.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Znoaclcarb.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	21471   Click image for larger version

Name:	ZnoaclR1.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	21472  
Old Apr 7th, 11, 05:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Mike

Thanks for the pictures, but my Holly looks different. It only has one fuelinlet and thats on the other side.

We now tried to fix it with using aluminized fuellines. But yesterday, i broke down again because the gasoline got too hot....

I think, the main problem is, that the engine bay cannot breathe enough. There is no way, where the hot air can disappear. So the problem only appears while waiting in a traffic jam.

We now want to try the Holly Heat Shield. Hope, that we can get the problems under control by this way. If not, i think about drilling some holes in the front panel to get more fresh air to the engine. Also i started thinking about installing the Original "SS" Hood Ornaments. Using them to evacuate the hot air from the bay. I know, that they are normally not open to the engine bay.

Does anyone else have more ideas?
Old Apr 7th, 11, 06:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Mike

Here is a picture of the new fuel line. The backflow is already a standard rubber hose.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01903.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	21705  
Old Apr 7th, 11, 07:41 AM
Senior Tech

Scott

Not sure what you have going on there but Holleys don't utilize return lines. And throw that glass fuel filter in the garbage. They have been known to fail. Many years ago it was the cause of a friend's engine fire and the car burned to the ground. Hardlines are best as suggested above. The holes in the radiator support you are contemplating will decrease the amount of air passing through the shroud, thus reducing cooling system efficiency.
Old Apr 7th, 11, 08:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Mike

well, iīve bought the car like it is on the photo.... It is a 1805 Holly 4bbl universal carburator. You mean, i dont need a return line? What about using the heat shield? And what filter would you recommend? Can i use an universal filter?

I have thought about changing the Holly in to a Edelbrock ede 1406 600cfm. Iīve heard, that they have less problems with steam bubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
The holes in the radiator support you are contemplating will decrease the amount of air passing through the shroud, thus reducing cooling system efficiency.
But how can i get a better cooling of the engine bay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
Not sure what you have going on there but Holleys don't utilize return lines.
i have the original Chevy SB mech. fuelpump. If i dont use a return line, how does the pump knows, that there is enough gas at the carburator? Wonīt the pump work all the time? And if yes, where will the no more required gas go? Or does the pump has an internal bypass? please explain...

Last edited by mikessaxo; Apr 7th, 11 at 09:07 AM.
Old Apr 7th, 11, 09:57 AM
Retired

Dennis

Here are a couple more shots showing a filter, fuel pump and hard lines to the carb. Sorry they are not the best but you can see the filter is before the the inlet to the fuel pump and not on the pressure side out to the carb.

I don't think the problem you are having is heat related as much as it is your make shift return (backflow) hose that is bleading off needed fuel pressure. Fuel will take the path of least resistance. I assume the return line goes back to the inlet side of the pump and if so that is defeating the efforts of the fuel pump. Plug off the return line and see what happens...

Your engine compartment (like everyone elses) should not need custom venting to allow the engine to operate properly. If your engine is overheating when you are sitting at a long light you need to look at air flow through the radiator core and your cooling fan which creates that air flow. If the engine isn't overheating I doubt the engine compartment is getting too hot...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fuel1.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	21706   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel2.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	21707  

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Old Apr 7th, 11, 10:17 AM
Retired

Dennis

Some cars were equipped with dual fuel lines, for example a SS350 with a Quadra-Jet Carb. I believe the fuel filter used with the dual fuel lines is designed to return heat created fuel vapor back to the tank, it's not recirculating the liquid fuel or bleading off fuel pressure.

If your car has 2 fuel lines from the tank you need the right filter with a single inlet and dual outlets to connect the return properly...

Old Apr 7th, 11, 10:21 AM
Senior Tech

Scott

On researching fuel filter location for myself I found that John Hinckley and others recommend not locating the filter on the upstream side the pump. Hard line style filters can be purchased and plumbed on the pressure side. Does it or does it not indeed make a difference? This is one thread I read about it with John's info:
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=342.0

Detailed info pertaining to Q-Jet return lines is here: http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7457.0

Last edited by Sauron67MM; Apr 7th, 11 at 10:37 AM. Reason: more
Old Apr 7th, 11, 10:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Mike

@dennis: i assume that there is no backflow line on your photos?

@sauron: only to get it right: no filter on the pressure side (like i have) but one in front of the pump?

Only one thing i donīt understand: what happens with the fuel which is not needed? I mean, the pump is pumping all the time, so what happens, if the pressure in the hose is getting to hot?

What are you saying for the aluminized fuel lines? Are they ok? Because i canīt find any fitting hardlines for that particular carb.
Old Apr 7th, 11, 11:04 AM
Retired

Dennis

Well I have never seen a single issue caused by putting the filter on the inlet side of the fuel pump. I have 10's of thousands of miles on my own car and previous cars done the same and have set up many friends cars the same. Unless the filter gets plugged I can see no reason why it would flow any less or reduce the flow from the tank to the pump.

If there is a need to filter the fuel, wouldn't it be a good idea to do it before the fuel pump and protect the pump from what the filter picks up?

As for the use of the return line on q-jet carbs it may well be part of a smog thing and there because of the nature of the carb itself or for rollover fire protection. I don't have the details but I do know the return line from the filter is primarilary a vapor return. As this relates to Mike's problem he has a return tapped into his fuel feed to the carb that transports liquid fuel either back to the tank or the fuel pump inlet and that almost makes his fuel pump useless...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Team Camaro Tech > First Generation Camaro Info and Tech - 1967- 1969 "Where it all started" > Engine      Current Topic: Fuel line, how to install it?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.