What wheel fits the rear of a stock 57 Chevy? - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

Old Mar 31st, 11, 10:13 AM
Senior Tech

Default What wheel fits the rear of a stock 57 Chevy?

Forgive me if I have asked this here before, but I think I meant to check with you guys and then got sidetracked.

My brother-in-law (who is also a friend, as opposed to someone I would not speak with or help if we we not related by marriage) has a 1957 BelAir 4-door hardtop that he bought while stationed at Falcon AFB in CO. It followed him to Plattsburgh, and then after RIF the car went home to Newville, PA (where he and I went to high school) and has sat in a barn for about 15 years while he raised a family in Northern VA.

So, he and I have been talking lately about how, now that his first girl is in college and his other two kids are older (and the boy is old enough to start taking some interest in an old car), it may be time to dust off the 57.

As the car is all original and fairly low miles (less than 100K), one of the first things on our list is a brake upgrade to get rid of that single pot MC and what are probably OE hardlines and maybe soft lines.

We may go the route that is now available, with a new front disc kit that will fit his OE 14 inch steel wheels, and thus just keep the stock wheels and wheelcovers. But, he kind of likes the idea of 15 inch wheels on such a big car, with the classic BFG T/As for rubber.

What I do not know, because I am not a tri-five guy, is what wheel size and backspace and with what rubber size will fit in the rear, without cutting the original, solid quarters.

Thinking about FW coded 15x7 rallys, but don't know if those have enough backspace to fit?

Any stock 57 gurus here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 31st, 11, 10:25 AM
Senior Tech

Terry

Default Re: What wheel fits the rear of a stock 57 Chevy?

I swapped the 15 x 7 TQ Thrust "D"s on my '68 Camaro with the 15 x 7 Rally wheels on my '56 Chevy Del Ray Coupe. 225/60 x 15 BFG TA's fit both rather nicely with 3-3/4" bs. Also, 225/70 x 15 fit the tri-fives well too. Five spokes look HOT on a tri-five. 1956-57 Chevy shoe boxes have very similar fender well openings.
Old Mar 31st, 11, 07:52 PM
Tech Team

Rodney

I put a set of 15x7 rallys on ours to load it to get it home and had plenty of clearance. I now have 15x8 rallys on the rear and they just barely clear on the out side, if that helps.

starting to see a lot 4 doors out there cruising. Good luck Rodney
Old Apr 2nd, 11, 09:40 AM
Tech Team

wayne

you need a wheel with neutral offset for the rear
wayne
Old Apr 3rd, 11, 06:16 PM
Senior Tech

Tim

I was just playing with the tires and wheels on my 57 Belair today and then come in and see you guys are talking about doing the samething, my car has 15x7 torque thrust II's on it standard offsets with 235/60R15 BFG's but I'm so tired of that look I dug out an old orig set of Amer. racing coke bottles or 200S's or CP200's and am trying to get a 15x8 1/2 with a 3 1/2" back spacing rear to fit on the rear with a 235/60R15...looks to be a little tight might have to go to a 225/60R15 in order to pull it off....? Do they make a shackle kit for the 57's to give it a little rake I don't like my 57 sits low in the back??
Advertisement