GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old Apr 6th, 11, 06:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Default AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! 700r4 shift cable problems

OK -- trying to keep the background short: have a 700r4. Kept the old TH350 shift brackets and cable. Started having a problem where I couldn't get into Park up top, or down to 1. So, when the shifter was at the Park spot on the detent, the trans was in Reverse.

Thought I had a stretched out shift cable. So I bought a new shift cable AND went ahead and installed the 700r4 shift kit that I sent back when I first had the 700r4 installed (thinking I could save $100).

So, I reviewed my old post one this topic, where I was asking about the shift kit. Got it installed along with the new shift cable. But I'm still having the same problem! AAAHHH!!!

Any ideas? I'm at a complete loss right now. Plenty of daylight left, but I had to call it quits b/c I'm so effing frustrated right now.

DEEEEEP breaths! Trying to calm... Cracking cold beer now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 6th, 11, 06:28 PM

Kevin

Default Re: AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! 700r4 shift cable problems

Zac, I am pretty sure the shift arm on the trans is longer to provide the proper arc for the shifter. Did you get that or are you using the TH350 one?
Old Apr 6th, 11, 06:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Zac, I am pretty sure the shift arm on the trans is longer to provide the proper arc for the shifter. Did you get that or are you using the TH350 one?
Yeah, got that in, too.

When I detach the cable from the shift arm underneath the car and shift the trans just using the shift arm, it feels like it's not popping all the way into park... But I know it gets there though, because I left the cable off, started the car and it's definitely in park. The problem comes when I reattach the cable. As soon as I drop out of park and try to go back, the cable won't push it back into park.
Old Apr 6th, 11, 07:04 PM
Retired

Dennis

Don't forget the horseshoe shifter has an adjustment nut down on the left arm, you loosen the nut and can move the shifter arm position...

Also to adjust the cable; with the cable not connected at the trans pick a position in the middle of the range Drive or Neutral and put the shifter there, then manually click the trans to the same position. Now adjust the cable so it aligns and fits onto the trans. If it doesn't line up and fit right on, it isn't adjusted right...

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Old Apr 6th, 11, 07:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
Don't forget the horseshoe shifter has an adjustment nut down on the left arm, you loosen the nut and can move the shifter arm position...

Also to adjust the cable; with the cable not connected at the trans pick a position in the middle of the range Drive or Neutral and put the shifter there, then manually click the trans to the same position. Now adjust the cable so it aligns and fits onto the trans. If it doesn't line up and fit right on, it isn't adjusted right...
OK -- I definitely did the second part of what you're recommending here. Despite the terrible directions that came with the kit, that part was clear. I measured the distance between the sift arm and the retainer bracket that attaches to the trans pan bolts, and it was right at 5.5", as the directions suggested.

But I totally failed to utilize the adjuster nut... Will try adjustments and report back tomorrow.

In the meantime though, if the problem with the horseshoe shifter is that it's not pushing the transmission shift arm far enough forward, then should I also adjust the nut so that the shifter goes as far forward as possible?
Old Apr 6th, 11, 09:37 PM
Team Member

Ted

Did you change the detent?
Old Apr 6th, 11, 09:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgifford5 View Post
Did you change the detent?
Yeah, did that, too.

Which reminds me, in case anyone is reading this one day and can't get that stock detent off: I used a handy dandy Drimel cutting wheel to get that rear-ward stub-nut thing off. I don't own a compressor, and was thinking, "Dammit all, I'm going to have to go buy something to cut this off." Lo and behold, a long time ago, my wife bought one of those all-in-one Drimel attachment kits, and it had several cutting wheels on it. Here's to my better half.
Old Apr 7th, 11, 04:57 AM

Kevin

Zac, Sounds like you have to approach this methodically.

1. you have verified that the trans shifter arm can go through all gears. Measure the distance between P and L1 at the hole where the cable goes.
2. With the cable disconnected, measure the throw on the cable bolt from P to L1.

If they match, then you might have a kink in the cable (hwystarjoe had this issue). If they don't match and the cable does moves less distance, then the issue is with the detent travel.

The adjustment nut on the shifter arm does not really help the cable throw distance, it is only there to adjust the trans shift points with the detents.

I use my dremel cutoff wheels for everything. Bought some large fiber ones at the swap meet and they cut through everything and do not disintigrate like the powdered ones.
Old Apr 7th, 11, 09:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
1. you have verified that the trans shifter arm can go through all gears. Measure the distance between P and L1 at the hole where the cable goes.
2. With the cable disconnected, measure the throw on the cable bolt from P to L1.
Kevin, I'm not sure I understand -- sorry, I'm like a 5 year-old -- on #2: do I need to have someone go P to L1 with the shifter inside, while I stay under the car and measure?

You mention the possibility of having a kink: I feel like I really had to cram the shift cable down in there to get everything to fit. It was the same length as the old one, but it really seems like it's at some awkward angels -- it kind of makes a sideways "S" shape. The old one was like that, too, so I thought maybe that's just how it's supposed to go.

Also, that retainer bracket that bolts into the trans pan doesn't line the cable up exactly on with the shift arm bolt hole. The length is right on, but the cable makes a slight right angle between the retainer bracket and the shift arm.

I think I just found the thread you mentioned on Joe's shifter problems. http://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ht=shift+cable. I'm going to try to get my better half to shft the shifter while I'm underneath it tonight and see if I'm having the same problem with it flexing upward when it gets toward P. But, reading some of the other comments, I'm starting to really think the problem is in the brackets not lining up properly??

Last edited by ZaCamaro69; Apr 7th, 11 at 09:33 AM.
Old Apr 7th, 11, 10:33 AM
Senior Tech

Al

First thing I do is disconnect the cable from the trans lever.

Then I manually rotate the trans lever all the way forward to park. Push the shifter all the way forward to park. Now go back down and see if the the cable end lines lines up with the hole in the lever. If yes - attach cable. If no, adjust cable cable bracket until it does, then attach.
Old Apr 7th, 11, 11:11 AM

Kevin

Zac, yes, someone shifting while you watch. I have never heard of a 'slight right angle" that sounds bad. The "S" curve of the cable is correct. Here is my 200r4 brackets (BTO/shiftworks). Ignore the pesky oil leak I have been trying to beat. Got the trans pan to stop leaking!

Last edited by KevinW; Apr 7th, 11 at 11:21 AM.
Old Apr 7th, 11, 11:35 AM
Retired

Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaCamaro69 View Post
Yeah, got that in, too.

When I detach the cable from the shift arm underneath the car and shift the trans just using the shift arm, it feels like it's not popping all the way into park... But I know it gets there though, because I left the cable off, started the car and it's definitely in park. The problem comes when I reattach the cable. As soon as I drop out of park and try to go back, the cable won't push it back into park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaCamaro69 View Post
OK -- I definitely did the second part of what you're recommending here. Despite the terrible directions that came with the kit, that part was clear. I measured the distance between the sift arm and the retainer bracket that attaches to the trans pan bolts, and it was right at 5.5", as the directions suggested.

But I totally failed to utilize the adjuster nut... Will try adjustments and report back tomorrow.

In the meantime though, if the problem with the horseshoe shifter is that it's not pushing the transmission shift arm far enough forward, then should I also adjust the nut so that the shifter goes as far forward as possible?
Since you checked the cable fit as described already there is no reason to re-measure anything. If the cable fits onto the shift arm properly (hole lines up), that is the key! The adjustment allowed by the nut on the side of the shift arm can give you more room to push the shift handle into park. It just helps align the trans arm with the detent positions... Loosen the nut and pull or push the handle to the desired position and tighten the nut.

If you can't fine tune this you need to go back to the trans and look into why when shifting the trans manually with the shift arm it doesn't feel like it's going into park...

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Old Apr 7th, 11, 01:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Holy moley! Got it under control, finally! One of the comments made me start thinking I had a bad angle going on somewhere, and I definitely did. I had the cable end bolt in the hole that looked like it was where it should go: the round hole, on the end. Well, that was causing a funky angle, so I pulled it out of there and moved it to the long, rectangular shaped cut out instead. Angle is gone and I can get to park! Now, of course, I can't get to L1, but, right now, I'm just happy to have P again!

Kevin, I'm looking at your pic again, and it looks like you have yours in the rectangular slot, too, which I didn't notice looking at it earlier. If it's supposed to go there, what is the other hole for? Yours looks like it has something else going to it, but I got nothing like that.

THis isn't a great photo b/c you can't see the holes, but it might help someone down the road, I hope:

Man, I got help from the big guns on this one! Dennis, Al, Kevin, thanks for all your time, as always.

Last edited by ZaCamaro69; Apr 7th, 11 at 05:34 PM.
Old Apr 7th, 11, 05:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Just wanted to follow up: got it going into L1 now. Had to adjust that bolt on the shifter, as Dennis suggested.

I know this picture proves absolutely nothing, but I was so excited that everything is finally working right, I had to post a pic... Although, I'm a tiny bit disappointed the shift indicator isn't green like the OEM.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 7th, 11, 09:19 PM
Senior Tech

Al

You could probably get some green shower caps for the bulbs....some came with my autometer gauges.

Hope you remembered to put the C-clip back on the the stud on the trans lever.
Advertisement

Tags
700r4, detent, shifter
Team Camaro Tech > First Generation Camaro Info and Tech - 1967- 1969 "Where it all started" > Transmission & Driveline      Current Topic: AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! 700r4 shift cable problems
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.