GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old Aug 15th, 11, 09:35 PM
Tech Team

Richie

Default Installing turbo 400 trans to ZZ4 engine.

I bought the ZZ4 355 HP turn key engine from GM Performance . While attempting to install a rebuilt 400 trans and a new GM3 torque converter the holes (center 9 1/4"of the flexplate) didn't match the three holes (center 10" on the converter). The flexplate came with the engine. Do I need a new flexplate or a new torque converter? Which flexplate or converter do you recommend? Putting together a 1969 Camaro.

Last edited by racquetball; Aug 15th, 11 at 11:15 PM. Reason: left out type of car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 15th, 11, 11:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

John

Red face Re: Installing turbo 400 trans to ZZ4 engine.

Uhmmmm, you've lost me
None of the demensions you're giving match anything I'm familiar with from GM ...
GM converters have three patterns - 9.75", 10.75" and 11.50".
Flexplate patterns vary by year of engine/type of rear main seal and ring-gear tooth count. Some are dual-pattern, others are single pattern.

IIRC the ZZ series engines are delivered with the small (153 tooth) 1-piece seal style flexplate. These will have a 10.75" torque converter bolt pattern on them.
Only the earlier (2-piece seal) 153 flexplates, used on the pre-86 engines, have the dual 9.75 and 10.75" patterns for torque converters.

Soooo - you need a 10.75" torque converter pattern to match the furnished flexplate pattern.
If I'm missing something let me know ...
Other V6 things - none of which float
Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Old Aug 16th, 11, 04:21 PM
Tech Team

Richie

Default Re: Installing turbo 400 trans to ZZ4 engine.

Thanks for your input, I contacted Monster Transmission and they recommended their dual bolt pattern flexplate G100HD. So I purchase it.
Old Aug 26th, 11, 07:35 PM
Tech Team

Richie

Monster transmission shipped me the wrong flex plate. The crank bolt pattern was to big and it wasn't external balance. I called them back and they had no clue of why it wouldn't fit. I explain to them that the zz4 comes with a one piece crank seal and requires a 3.000" bolt pattern external balance to which they didn't stock. So I got it from my local J and M speed shop.
Old Aug 26th, 11, 10:41 PM
Senior Tech

Since the TH 400 only came behind big block engines the stock BB crossmember will have the offset built in. You will need to use BB frame mounts to keep the drivetrain parallel to the pinion.
Old Aug 26th, 11, 11:03 PM
Senior Tech

Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cama View Post
Since the TH 400 only came behind big block engines the stock BB crossmember will have the offset built in. You will need to use BB frame mounts to keep the drivetrain parallel to the pinion.
It's easy enough to cut the mount pad off, center it and weld it back on. Even easier is to order a first gen Firebird T400 crossmember, as they are centered. Both seem to me to be easier options than mounting a small block on BB frame stands for fitment of headers, fan shroud.
Old Aug 27th, 11, 10:56 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
It's easy enough to cut the mount pad off, center it and weld it back on. Even easier is to order a first gen Firebird T400 crossmember, as they are centered. Both seem to me to be easier options than mounting a small block on BB frame stands for fitment of headers, fan shroud.
My point was that this issue needed to be addressed. Most people don't even know about the offset between BB and SB. There are many ways to take care of it. I like using the BB frame mounts to give plenty of PS gearbox clearance with big headers. I have never had a problem with headers using BB frame mounts but have had many header problems using SB frame mounts even when running a SB. Everyone has their own opinions. Everyone does not have their own shop to fabricate parts such as a custom crossmember. Aftermarket BB framemounts are much cheaper than a crossmember.

Last edited by 69cama; Aug 27th, 11 at 06:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement