Team Camaro Tech banner

My Hatchback Won't Open can anyone Help Me?

7K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  camaro 86 
#1 ·
I just bought a 1986 camaro Iroc-z and my Hatchback will not open is there a fuse or anything I can do to fix this Problem?Please Let me know Thank you,Nicole

#3 ·
I'd start by checking your fuse panel for any blown fuses, you can tell when the fuse is blown by checking to see if the metal strip inside is broken. It's possible that the motor that pulls down the latch is broken. If you have access to an electrical tester, maybe you can test the fuse panel to see is there is a short in the wiring.

#4 ·
Is the lock broken or does the latch just not pop open? The pull down motor will not stop the hatch from opening. Try hitting the top of the hatch as you pull the handle. Some times you can unstick or jar loose the latch, like a stuck hood latch.

Other than that you could have someone try and crawl in there and release the latch manually with a screw driver.

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th

#6 ·
I didn't realize there was a key behind the liscence plate for the first 3 years I owned my 84. That should get you in.

Then there is a switch on top of the center console (bad spot IMO) that could be damaged. You could test it by taking the switch out of the console and jumping the two wires together. If it pops the lid then it's a broken switch. If it does not pop the lid then maybe the solenoid in the back is bad or a wire is loose.

#7 ·
Greeting Nicolelynn, try using your key and unlock your rear hatch from the outside and lift it up. If it does not pop up and rise to full extension on its own I would have to say that the gas struts mounted on the hatch back have died and gone to that great gas strut junk yard somewhere. If that is the case, you can get them at most parts store for between $20.00 and $30.00 each. They are simple to change. Being as how both of them appear to be bad, using a 2 X 4 of appropriate length or other suitable means of propping the hatch open would be a good idea. Good luck and enjoy!!! Mine is an '89 Iroc Z.

#8 ·
I have an 86 Camaro with the electric switch to open the hatch, and I had a similar problem not too long ago. The latch would release the hatch when I hit the button...then when I got out of the car to go to the trunk, it was closed again! I thought the electric thingy was broken, but it turned out to be the lifters! I have new lifters now, and no problems!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.