GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

Old Sep 26th, 11, 04:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Default Trim Parts Molded carpet for the trunk

Anyone have the molded carpet for the trunk? Its more than double the price of a trunk mat, so just wanted to get some opinions on whether its worth it or not. My car will most likely never see water so I'm not worried about mositure issues, but just curious if the carpet is worth the price. My trunk was just repainted, so I have to put something in there to protect the paint.
Advertisement

Old Sep 26th, 11, 05:01 PM

Brian

Default Re: Trim Parts Molded carpet for the trunk

Are you considering this carpet for cosmetic reasons for a finished look or to secure or prevent sliding items in the trunk?

Trunk Mats are original in first gen but offer no comfort for your Mother-in-Law on long drives.

BUT you can give the old gal some comfort by having a section of original loop style rug custom cut and bound at the edges like a custom area rug that would fit the deep well area, and leave the upper sides as exposed mat. But really only makes sense if you don't drag a spare tire along for the ride as the trunk is pretty tight space wise with a full spare on-board.

I have a rubber backed bath mat I use when I'm moving speakers etc in my jeep since I have a bed liner in the back to protect the storage area rug from all sorts of crap. six bucks and does the trick.

I guess the key is if you are worried about crap staining the rug then make sure its machine washable of cleanable without ruining the fit.
Old Sep 26th, 11, 08:22 PM
Senior Tech

Garth

I installed one a few weeks ago. Got it 15% off through HBC. I'm real pleased with it, fits well and looks nice ,imo. Lots of trimming required, all 4 sides. It's pretty light, can see right through it when held up to the light. That's one of the reasons I chose the carpet over the conventional mat, as it will breath. I believe the original rubber mats, in certain climate conditions, can create and trap moisture.

Last edited by Garfields Maro; Sep 26th, 11 at 09:00 PM.
Old Sep 27th, 11, 07:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Thanks for the info. My 69 was just repainted and they did the trunk as well. The trunk looks great and I'm just looking at protecting the paint from scratches from the jack, spare tire etc. I really don't put anything in my trunk except, the spare, jack, a few tools and spare ignition parts. If I did carry something that could spill, I would most likely place an old blanket underneath it to catch the fluids. I like the fact that the carpet will allow air under it. Thanks for the info.
Old Sep 28th, 11, 06:28 PM
Tech Team

joel

I put a molded 80/20 loop carpet purchased from Classic Industries in my '67 trunk and couldn't be happier. Cost was $125.00 which I thought was quite high at first, but now think was well worth it. The edges are sewn which means no unsightly trimming is needed.This helps keep my freshly painted (spatter with flat clear finnish) trunk from getting marked up, and car show detailing items from sliding around. Also get a lot of compliments at shows.
Old Sep 28th, 11, 07:09 PM
Senior Tech

Steiner

I'd like to see some of these if possible. Lloyd's has a black 80/20 one for $70 and a Velourtex in any color for $100 on Summit. No picture though so I don't know if they're molded or just fit the pan itself. Their floor mats are awesome though. Think I may just paint the trunk with Herculiner like the last car though.
538 lb-ft - 500 hp
www.cmengines.com
'69 Camaro X44 Beater - SFT 327 - M20 - Moser 4.10
'02 Z/28 vert - stock
Old Sep 28th, 11, 07:12 PM
Team Member

Jerry R.

Hey Jigsaw did you take your Camaro to the Dells car show by chance ?

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/h...naflowclip.mp4
Old Sep 28th, 11, 08:43 PM
Senior Tech

Garth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw View Post
I put a molded 80/20 loop carpet purchased from Classic Industries in my '67 trunk and couldn't be happier. Cost was $125.00 which I thought was quite high at first, but now think was well worth it. The edges are sewn which means no unsightly trimming is needed.This helps keep my freshly painted (spatter with flat clear finnish) trunk from getting marked up, and car show detailing items from sliding around. Also get a lot of compliments at shows.
Hmm....how long ago did you buy it ? I was under the impression there was only one trunk carpet available (Trim Parts). Wonder if they no longer sew the edges ? Either way, the trimmed edges look fine.... if you know what you're doing.

I'll see if I can get a pic or 2 Steiner. The molded parts really fit nice....even molded for the raised areas for the jack mast, shocks, bumper reinforcements, etc....
Old Sep 29th, 11, 12:19 AM
Senior Tech

Garth

Kinda dark and the black carpet to boot but here's da pix...

Old Sep 29th, 11, 12:25 AM
Senior Tech

Garth

Old Sep 29th, 11, 05:56 PM
Tech Team

joel

I'm thinking I bought the trunk carpet last September after seeing another first gen with this carpet at a show on labor day weekend. I actually purchased this from Jensen Camaro out of Iowa who does a lot of midwest swap meets and handles items from "Classic Industries". I pre-order items through him right out of the "Classsic" book. The carpet came in a OER (original equipment reproduction) black/yellow box part number CM52088. Not sure who actually makes it for them. And yes, all the molded areas fit real good (snug and flat) and all four sides reach the trunk edges nice and tight.
Old Sep 29th, 11, 06:21 PM
Tech Team

joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr68 View Post
Hey Jigsaw did you take your Camaro to the Dells car show by chance ?
Jerry, no I did not make it to the Dells this past spring. I did not get my car on the road till late June (after three years of restoration) just in time for my daughters wedding. Spent the next two and a half months doing "shakedown" drives to various shows and cruises. I figure I put roughly 700 miles on the car in the process. Even though I won several "Best in Class" awards, and the car has performed fabulous, I managed to come up with a list of items to finnish and/or change on the car including different coil springs. Car sits just a little too high in front. Once I get close to where I'm happy with everything I'll start to organize a library of restoration pictures to share with everyone here at Team Camaro. Already looking forward to next year for a full summer of Camaro fun. Sorry for and apologize for somewhat hijacking this thread.
Old Sep 29th, 11, 07:11 PM
Senior Tech

Steiner

Hey that looks good Garth. I threw away one rubber mat and cut up another for jackstand pads. Friggin' hate those things.
538 lb-ft - 500 hp
www.cmengines.com
'69 Camaro X44 Beater - SFT 327 - M20 - Moser 4.10
'02 Z/28 vert - stock
Old Sep 30th, 11, 01:05 AM
Senior Tech

Garth

Thanks...well, dunno, but doubt OER gets their carpet from TrimParts....mine came in a HBC box. They advertise them as a Trim Parts product. Apparently there's multiple manufacturers then.

Thanks for the feedback Joel....hopefully DenRS might see it. I'm not in the least bit dissapointed with the TP carpet I got, but if a guy can get one pre-cut with a satisfactory fit, certainly can't beat that. Trimming these things is no easy job.....be a PITA w/o removing the rear seat.
Old Sep 30th, 11, 06:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Wow thanks for the feedback. I'll check out classic industries for the OER trunk carpet. Pics look great by the way.
Advertisement