Team Camaro Tech banner

Dumping gas from the tank fill.

5K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  DjD 
#1 ·
I finally noticed that the gas I smell sometimes while driving is actually sloshing out of the tank fill. Is there a device on the market like a flapper or gate that will minimize this. Or, do you think my vented cap is defective? I know a lighter foot will help too but that's not too much fun!

#3 ·
Had same problem, replaced filler neck and cap = no more gas smell and no more gas spilling onto the bumper after hard acceleration.

Fwiw, I had purchased one of the locking caps from OER and it leaked really bad. I added gaskets, shims, etc. to no avail. The 1/4 turn OE type cap is the way to go.

#5 ·
The '69 filler neck is soldered onto the tank so it's not as easy to replace as a '68 filler neck.

Let's hope it's a bad cap or something simpler like on my '69 where I will smell gas if the cap isn't on right. Sounds silly, the cap not on right but it can happen when you are bent down, holding the hose nozzle and your license plate door open at the same time you are putting the cap back on.

Try just twisting the cap open and and make sure it's seated flat before twisting it back on. The cap will twist on just a bit more than it was if it wasn't on properly.

#9 ·
I don't think you'll get your tanks not to spill a bit when the tank is full and you launch off the light, it's the nature of the beast. I found not topping off the tank after the nozzle shuts off really helps though and rarely have any spillage any more.

#10 ·
On the topic of fueling up 69s... I have a heck of a time getting the nozzle out of the filler when I'm done gassing up. What is the trick? The last time I gassed up I couldn't get the nozzle out, got angry and let go of the nozzle and it fell out on its own! Any suggestions, maybe the angle of the nozzle, etc?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.