Team Camaro Tech banner

Too rough to save? I'm gonna try on this 67 RS Convert..

124K views 441 replies 84 participants last post by  Mike-T 
#1 ·
Partly because i'm a little responsible for its condition, and I like near impossible projects I guess. It has been in a friends shop since the early 80s. The car's floor was gone but it had good inner quarter pieces and rear torsion bar chassis/ deck filler. I was building another 67 camaro convert at that time that was solid everywhere else, so I cut the needed pieces off of this one. This would have been about 1985 or so. About two years ago I remembered the poor thing, and called my friend and asked if he still had it, and made a deal on the remains. Then it took two years to actually get with my friend to actually get the car out. It was buried in junk, had a wall built behind it, and other cars blocking it in. The car is bad, really bad, (worse than I remembered !) but at least is an RS,V8 convert, has its vin intact, and is pretty complete. It would not be worth paying a pro restoration shop to fix it, but i've built a few coupe and convert 67s, so we'll see what happens!

I already have a pair of convert full quarters and inner pieces, good doors, decklid, subframe with discs, convertible top frame, and RS front end parts. So here I go...first step will be to get whats left on the jig so I can get the rotten floor out. The rockers are solid, as is most of the cowl area, so the plan is a new floor, trunk pan, frame rails, inner and outer wheel tubs, etc. I'm not expecting a walk in the park, there is very little to go off of other that the rockers for measurements. I'll probably be begging for dimensions off of other converts. As you can see the right side inner quarter is off the car, but I do have it at least. stay tuned as they say.....

See less See more
#2 ·
Good for you, Mike - not for the faint-hearted, but great to see another phoenix about to rise from the ashes (so to speak). I'll stay tuned for updates! At least it has a steering wheel :thumbsup:

#4 ·
Kudos for rescuing another rust victim. :beers: Can't wait to witness the transformation on this one!

#21 ·
Thanks Jeff! :beers: I just got caught up reading this thread and noticed your post too. :cool: Sometimes I think-- Why didn't I look for a cleaner car to start with?... too late now.:D and NOW-- it's clean!:yes:

Can't wait to see the '67 RS get back into shape again. This build should be another cool one to watch.:yes: I would LOVE to tackle a convertible project like this one too! Looks like fun!

#16 · (Edited)
Tim, I took a look at your thread today and it looks like our cars need or needed almost the same repairs. You're making some good progress though! I'll have to try to step it up and catch up with you, then we can compare notes:thumbsup:

#18 ·
Not so sure about moving fast now Tim! Wow, I raised mine up off the trailer its sitting on today in preparation to move it to the cart and got a bit of a sinking sensation when I saw the front of the rockers forward of the doors. They look great until just below the kick panel area forward of the doors. I'm wondering if I could blast and repair that area of the rockers with new steel welded in, or if I really need to axe the whole rocker assembly. I was hoping i'd not have to replace those, as they are holding most of the car together. The floor from about the center of the shift tunnel back is weak or missing, and the frame rails are crumbling. It's going to be a challenge for sure! There's really nothing to build off of if I take the rockers out now. My plan all along has been to get the full floor in place against the rockers and then build from there with the missing RH inner quarter going back on next, but I may have to revise that now..Half of the fun is the head scratching and figuring though!

#19 ·
It seems to me you might want to check the distances between the ds inner quarter support and the windshield/hinge pillar. I would think you need to get bracing on that car as soon as possible. (11 gauge!!;)). Let me know if you need some measurements from the inner quarter supports to the hinge pillar. I would imagine if you got one side right, you could get the other side. Definitely build a body cart!

#20 ·
Got the cart waiting.:thumbsup:..I could use that inner quarter to hinge pillar measurement...I'm curious to see if the remaining LH side is still where it should be. I could also use the measurement from inner quarter across to the other inner quarter, I'd like to get that RH inner quarter back on the car, and then start the bracing process, At this point it looks like I won't have much more than the cowl and two rockers on the cart!

#26 ·
Got the cart waiting.:thumbsup:..I could use that inner quarter to hinge pillar measurement...I'm curious to see if the remaining LH side is still where it should be. I could also use the measurement from inner quarter across to the other inner quarter, I'd like to get that RH inner quarter back on the car, and then start the bracing process, At this point it looks like I won't have much more than the cowl and two rockers on the cart!
Mike, I apologize. I won't be able to get the measurements until Thursday morning. I'm off all day on thursday, so whatever you need. Sorry again.

#24 ·
I'm not surprised at the 80k number. My car was missing its engine, transmission, complete interior, and most everything else, so I've had to buy just about every nut and bolt. I think I'll be into the car for nearly 60k when I am done.

Robert

#28 ·
Do you have a JIG to set the car on, or just a body cart? Is the firewall/cowl section able to be saved?

I built one from plans from these guys: http://www.firstgenjigs.com/ With this, it doesn't matter if the rockers are good, although with a 'Vert it does help. However, if you have a good firewall/cowl you can set that on the mounting points and build everything off of that.

This jig will allow you to do what this guys have done: http://www.musclecarmetal.com/WIP/Bottom/index.htm

You maybe at that point with this car. Just start building from the bottom up and graft your cowl/firewall if they are good. Otherwise, all you might be saving is the VIN by the time you get done with replacing all the body parts.

Big project for sure but not much is too far gone these days. It all depends on the amount of work you want to do.

#29 ·
Thanks for the links, The cowl, firewall and rockers have the usual rust issues but are overall strong and intact, and right now i'm inclined to save them. I was tempted to just dive in and replace everything but the windshield frame and upper cowl, but being a 'vert, I don't want to get to the point of no return with nothing original to build from, the rockers are the foundation at this point. The issue with them are some holes under the kick panel on the inners only. My cart/jig does support the rockers and extends all the way the end of the rear frame rails, but I would not call it a true jig, (yet), Its in need of additional mounting points for the rear frame rails especially. I'm going to be looking at some of the jigs and carts i've seen posted here for ideas, and modify mine as needed.

It WILL be a big project, for sure.

#31 ·
Thanks, Wish I had the room, I'd probably pick that one as a project up to build if I wasn't about to be knee deep in this one. As far as parts I already have a good subframe, rear end, etc..

#32 ·
Well, here is a start. Maybe these measurements will generate the need for additional measurements. :eek: I'm not sure what you want, but here's a few a thought might be helpful.

The bottom of the inner quarter support has some flexibility. When I fit my rockers, I can push them in to get me closer to the 47 inch width of the floor width. I hope that makes sense. Let me know if these measurements are too confusing. I'll get you whatever you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.