Team Camaro Tech banner

Mile High 67

32K views 125 replies 23 participants last post by  convertible68camaro 
#1 ·
So, I will post this in the correct place now. :)
I guess this is the best place to show what I am doing to my 67. I will post pictures of any major steps I do to the ol' girl. She has been sitting for a while as I have been too lazy to work on her but I have the itch again and she's coming along fairly well considering I have only just begun. Last weekend we rolled her into the garage to get her out of the cold. I couldn't resist tearing into her once she was in her home. I tore off the old drum brake set up, the old springs and shocks had seen better days.
For now I am on the front suspension.
I hope to get the motor out, the firewall and sub frame painted and the new aluminum bushings in this long holiday weekend. Wish me luck.

See less See more
#3 ·
I would paint the firewall after 100% of the bodywork is completed. Actually the firewall was blacked out last at the factory anyway. Painting it first is your call. Subframe can be painted as long as you are not installing it now. Just bolt wheels to the front of the shell for mobility.

#4 ·
Sounds like this was on your mind for a long while now... Glad to see another one getting saved. :yes: One step at a time...

Are you planning on doing a complete resto or just enough to make it a nice clean driver with some power behind it? Let us know if you need any help. You're in the right place. :beers:

#5 ·
Hey guys,
Thanks for the feedback. I am really just trying to clean her up and make her a clean driver. I will repair any rust and any issues she has, paint her and get her back on the road.

I wish I had the cash to do a full resto but for now I will do the best I can to make her as clean as I can.

I will post pictures as they come. Just found out it will be 10 days before my order from SC&C comes in. Guess I will have plenty of time to clean:)

#6 ·
This weekend with the snow and cold weather, I was able to get into the garage for a few minutes. I was able to replace the body bushings with new aluminum bushings on the driver’s side. Here is what came out of the old girl. I guess this chore was a long time overdue. Pictures of the passenger side coming soon. The rubber on the passenger side is far worse than the driver’s side.

***Question*** should there be a washer or something between the sub frame and the body? From the instructions I have read and the pics of other peoples installs, it looks like the new aluminum bushing goes under the sub frame and then the bolt goes through that from the bottom into the body. Is that right? The old bushings have a rubber piece in between the body and the frame as well as a piece between the sub frame and the bolt. I just want to check and make sure I have installed this correctly. As always I appreciate the feedback :)

I bet this bushing has seen better days... LOL

The subframe doesn't look too bad. I have seen worse!

#9 · (Edited)
Update: I have the wrong front coil springs, so until the parts come I am dead in the water on the front suspension. Painted the rotors and caliper brackets black and I purchased new hardware (Grade 8) to mount the brakes and control arms up. The hardware looks so much nicer than the stock stuff that came out. To think I almost considered putting the old hardware back in. Yikes, glad I didn't.

Hopefully my body guy Kelly will be able to stop by tonight to help me get this rear passenger side quarter started.

Hopefully I will have something for everyone to look at here soon!
Cheers!

New upper arms and tall ball joints:

Lowers with new ball joints and bushings:

Drum Spindles and steering arms Spindle upper boss modified to handle Disc Brakes:

#10 ·
I know all about the set backs Eric. You do have a plan, right? I didn't in the beginning and I bought a lot of stuff that I didn't need instead of stuff I did! Make a plan and stay with it. It will save you a ton of money in the long run.
It will be fun and worth it at the end. Fun? Well, let's just say you'll learn a lot! :yes:
Keep it up and Happy New Year!

It's Tebow time! lol

#11 ·
Thanks Rob! Happy new year to you as well. I do have a plan now. I didn't when I was 18... LOL At the time I was just trying to get as many new parts for the car as I could. A well you live and you learn. I hope I have the new springs in by tomorrow. I sure would like to get the front finished up but I am sure I will run into something else along the way.

Thanks for stopping by:beers:

#13 ·
Good to see another CO car in the works... Good luck with your build.
Heck yeah! Thanks Matt! Im always looking to meet fellow CO Camaro heads. If you ever want to get together and have a cold one and talk cars lets do it.

It looks like you have some sweet toys from your profile picture! :)

:beers:

#17 ·
Updates:

Dash is ready to come off and be replaced. I only found a minimal amount of rust where the windshield met the panel. Not too bad but needs to be replaced.

While installing the new solid body mounts, I noticed a lil rust. Guess here is where the fun begins. Believe it or not the only stress is figuring out where the cash is going to come from... Other than that it's quite peaceful working on the ol girl.

Whoa!

This explains the wet floor. LOL

Now time to decide on patches or complete floor.

#18 · (Edited)
***Updates***
Got a present when I got to work today. My Hotchkiss springs and the brake parts I needed are in. Tonight is going to be a good night:

Here is what went on last night after a trip to Harbor Frieght:

I bought a rotabroach tool, but found out that it was much easier to grind down the spot welds with the grinder. I think we are going to try and repair the rust left over from the dash panel with some sheet metal. I don't think I wantto try and replace that whole panel for just a tiny bit of rust. I am always open to any suggestions.

I should have some more photos of the suspension soon. I still need to get my Rag Joint kit, Idler arm and sway bar, and then I should be able to get this front end completed up.

#21 ·
Subscribed. :)
Not to whine but funds here are thin and time is nonexistant... besides that it has been double digits below zero lately.
Now that my disclaimers are out there, Thanks for the inspiration and congrats on your progress.

What was that about having the "wrong" coil springs? What did you end up getting from Hotchkis?
Also, what style of bushing do your SPC upper's have? I saw that Savitske offers Delrin now.

#22 ·
Subscribed. :)
Not to whine but funds here are thin and time is nonexistant... besides that it has been double digits below zero lately.
Now that my disclaimers are out there, Thanks for the inspiration and congrats on your progress.

What was that about having the "wrong" coil springs? What did you end up getting from Hotchkis?
Also, what style of bushing do your SPC upper's have? I saw that Savitske offers Delrin now.
Thanks for checking out my page! :beers:
I hear you on the time and funds. I see so many cars on her and say to myself, man that must have taken some serious time and $$$$$$.

I got the 1907F's from Hotchkis. They seemed to be the best option for what I plan to do. I got some Hotchkis springs from NPD about 12 or so years ago when I started working on this project and they turned out to be the wrong ones. NPD took them back and I was able to spend even more money on more parts...LOL

I did get the Delrin bushings, Nascar Ball Joints, the SPC adjusters and the long tie rod ends.

On a side note, I did get my body washers and the rag joint in the mail yesterday. I hope to make it into the freezer to work on the ol girl tonight for as long as I can stand the cold.

#24 ·
No new pictures yet but I have got a lot done. I was able to rebuild the calipers and do some sanding and cleaning this weekend. The biggest news is that I bought all the sheet metal that I needed. I couldnt really afford it but I came across a screaming deal at a llocal shop called Camaro Daves. Super stoked to find this place. Now I have a new spot to donate my money to... LOL

Thanks for stopping by. More pictures to come.

#26 ·
I just happened to find him on Craigslist. I was looking for cool parts and found a post about sheet metal. I guess he has been around for about 8 years but doesn't advertise. He is super friendly and from the looks of it, builds some sick pro street cars. My quarter, floor and dash should be here tomorrow. Finding the stuff locally is awesome as its saving me cash on shipping. More money to spend on parts:) check him out for sure. I think he has a retail shop in commerce city. Here is his number (303) 332-6379.

#27 ·
I know it's been a while since I posted photos. I was broke as a joke...LOl I managed to save some coin and I met a super cool gu named Camaro Dave who was able to hoo me up with some sheet metal for my baby. If you are in Colorado, you muct check out Camaro Dave in Thornton. Awesoem guy and the sickest Pro Touring Camaro Builder I have seen yet. His SEMA Camaro is amazing. Anyway... Here is what I was able to get done this weekend.

New Quarter, Floor patch and dash panel from Camaro Daves.

Doors off!

Lights out and stripped.

I never thought I would see the day that I would actually cut into my baby like this. It actually wasn't that bad. I am over the fear of cutting into the car now. Dave said, "if you take too much out, weld some more back in".

Some action shots of me butchering my love.

Notice the 12 pack in the background.... :) They went down fast and they did not last long... Just about as long as the blades on my cut off wheel.

Looks like I may need to do some repairs or a patch to the outter wheelhouse. It has some rust in a few spots.

Thanks for stopping by. As always I am open to feedback.

#30 ·
Thanks for the info! This is my first time doing any body work this advanced. Thankfully I have a body guy as a buddy who is helping me with all this. The doors were on before we removed the old quarter, so we should be good to go there. I will make sure to get the door back on before we weld it into place.

Can you tell me what is involved with rebuilding the hinges? Just a clean up or is there parts that need to be changed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.