Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

Old Jan 12th, 12, 04:57 PM
Senior Tech

Brian

Default KMJ Tubular control arms.

Has anybody heard of KMJ performance tubular control arms? These folks are selling 2 upper arms and 2 lower arms including free shipping for only only $349. To get all 4 arms through Global West would cost you about $1200 bucks plus shipping. This seems like a less expensive alternative but thought I would see if anyone has experience with the KMJ arms. I tried searching for "KMJ" but got no hits.

Here is the link to check them out.

http://www.kmjent.com/cart/product.p...1&cat=0&page=1

Any feedback would be great!

Thanks
Brian

https://home.comcast.net/~brian.stanley/wsb/camaro1.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 12th, 12, 06:07 PM
Senior Tech

67 Camaros Rock

Default Re: KMJ Tubular control arms.

They look like the e-bay arms people have spoken much about here. There have been many topics posted about them. I am not normally one to say do a search but i would suggest one on this topic. Might try searching e-bay control arms or something like that??
My 67 Camaro Time Line http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=211805
Old Jan 12th, 12, 06:27 PM
Senior Tech

Dave

Hey Joe, those are the ones I put on Bone's black 68. And of course he brought them over the day after I changed the front springs out!! Hahaa

No problems installing them (other than having to lift the engine halfway out of the car on the LH side to clear the headers and PS), but I don't know if the quality or geometry are any good. They lowered the car a little, which I thought was kinda strange.
Old Jan 12th, 12, 06:38 PM
Senior Tech

67 Camaros Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAirDave View Post
Hey Joe, those are the ones I put on Bone's black 68. And of course he brought them over the day after I changed the front springs out!! Hahaa

No problems installing them (other than having to lift the engine halfway out of the car on the LH side to clear the headers and PS), but I don't know if the quality or geometry are any good. They lowered the car a little, which I thought was kinda strange.
Ok then I have some info. The spring pockets in these will lower the car. Bones car had small block hotchkiss and as Dave says it did lower it.

He removed the springs and went with QA1 coil overs from my 67. I took cash and the Hotchkiss springs for my coil overs and the adjustment brout it back up where it needed to be.

If these are used you will need stock height spring, not sure of the moog number people use that is popular. This spring I think would keep the height lowered but ok due to the control arm lowering the front due to it's pocket or geometry.
My 67 Camaro Time Line http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=211805
Old Jan 12th, 12, 06:42 PM
Senior Tech

Dave

Yeah, the spring pocket is the only thing I could think of that would've changed it since the springs and spindles were the same (Well, that time. I had that front susp apart many times!!). I didn't think to compare to the stock control arms.
Old Jan 12th, 12, 06:45 PM
Team Member

ern

i bought a set of right stuff control arms from jegs, for 600'00 nic stuff fits great, here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 553.jpg
Views:	787
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	26349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 555.jpg
Views:	718
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	26350  
Old Jan 12th, 12, 07:06 PM
Senior Tech

mark

I have them. They look and work great. I have no complaints yet. I suspect that it depends what batch you get. I think some are better than others due to being probably chinese made and chinese steel. mark
Old Jan 12th, 12, 08:26 PM

morris

they r on ebay now for $299 free shipping i am thinking obout buying a set to i was waiting on feed back
Old Jan 12th, 12, 11:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Larry

The consensus I have seen on here from folks who know about theses things are don't trust your car and you or your family's safety to cheap A-arms. Buy a quality set from one of the reputable names - they are just too important. Uppers are the only ones that are really necessary. You can use stock lowers to save money. Check out David Pozzi's site about first gen suspension and how to make it better.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
Old Jan 13th, 12, 11:33 PM

David Pozzi

Lots of discussion about knock off A arms here: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=127967
It's unknown what their quality is. I have heard the ball joints in them are absolute junk. One question you need to ask yourself is, can you install them, then drive the car hard and feel safe, or is it going to bother you? Chances are they will work OK but I have no info to base that on. Arms like these are showing up all over the place and in Catalogs like Speedway Motors. I think Summit Racing has some too, but a different mfr. You might call and ask them if they have verified the quality of them.
I can only recommend A arms from the known Mfr's for obvious reasons. But I do understand cost is a bit issue for many. Tubular uppers are of benefit to achieve more positive caster. Tubular lowers generally don't have any geometry gains, but some like DSE & Hotchkis have the lower ball joint moved slightly forward, & upper rearward to keep the spindle centered when you set more positive caster.
David
Old Jan 15th, 12, 08:15 PM
Senior Tech

Brian

Well, I decided to buy a set of the KMJ control arms. I will report how the install and performance of the arms goes over the next few weeks as my front end rebuild get completed. I am not a drag racer or intend to push my car hard into corners since I am more of a cruiser. For $299 I figure I will get them a shot. Stay tuned for feedback.

Old Jan 15th, 12, 09:01 PM
Senior Tech

darrell

let us know--i was looking at those too--i have bought many many parts from kmj and they havent let me down but they do sell alot of pro comp stuf that i stear away from-i am going cris alstons tubular arms,coil overs and 2" drop spindles comes with good ball joints all for 1400
Old Jan 16th, 12, 03:42 PM
Senior Tech

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehigh67 View Post
Well, I decided to buy a set of the KMJ control arms. I will report how the install and performance of the arms goes over the next few weeks as my front end rebuild get completed. I am not a drag racer or intend to push my car hard into corners since I am more of a cruiser. For $299 I figure I will get them a shot. Stay tuned for feedback.
From what I have heard you will need ball joints, as the ones that come with the kit are junk. I have a set of TRW's upper and lower for both sides, and I am local. Let me know if you are interested. I will let them go for a deal. I bought 2 sets and I ended up going a different route. I also have outter tie rod ends if you are looking.
Cheers!

Eric
My Project Progress
Old Jan 17th, 12, 09:47 AM

brian

I have a set on my 68 convertible and havent had any issues. But have low miles on them, so far so good. No issues.
Old Jan 17th, 12, 05:20 PM
Senior Tech

Brian

I called the rep at KMJ and ordered them directly. One thing he told me what that the arms provide a 2 inch drop from stock. My car already has a pretty good stance but I expect it is due to the fact that the springs are pretty tired. Therefore I ordered stock height springs instead of drop springs from classic industries. Here is a pic of my car before the front end rebuild and I will post a pic of my car after the rebuild to see what the difference is.

I disassembled the entire front end last night so the car is ready for new parts once they arrive. I will try to post pics of the assembly as I go.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement