1998 Camaro v6 will not start. - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

Old Mar 11th, 12, 02:51 PM
Tech Team

Default 1998 Camaro v6 will not start.

hey yall, my 1998 camaro will not start. its not the battery because the battery is good (i tested it in another vehicle and it worked fine). when i try to start it up without the jumper cables it just clicks but when they are connected, it will try to start but rough and drains the battery in like 5 seconds. i recorded a video of what im talking about and the sounds it is making in this clip. what could be the problem?
Old Mar 11th, 12, 11:47 PM

David Pozzi

Default Re: 1998 camaro v6 will not start.

It seems strange the battery will start another vehicle but not your Camaro. The clicking you hear is likely the starter solenoid snapping on and off due to lack of input voltage. Your battery seems weak, but on a good starting engine it is probably good enough, on the Camaro engine where you have to crank it more, it is not up to the job. It probably would crap out on your other vehicle if you had to crank it that long.

Check your battery cables very closely for corrosion, the fact that your added ground wire helped indicates something may be wrong with the factory ground cable. The ground connection must be to the block, and all connections clean and tight. It is very common to see battery cable corrosion on the positive battery cable, even on side terminal batteries. On the inner fender near the battery, there is a power junction block, it should have a power wire in the wiring harness that runs around in front of the battery towards the radiator. Inspect the wires there for shorts or breaks. I had a buddy find bad connections there (in front of battery) that killed his cooling fans & I think caused some starting issues. Once the battery is disconnected the computer loses all learned memory and will be a little bit hard starting & may not idle smoothly instantly, but it should start & run with elevated idle for a few minutes and recover within a few start ups as it re-learns what the engine likes.

Have you tried pouring a small amount of fuel in the throttle body and cranking it? If it tries to start with the added fuel, your fuel pump is probably not working.
Old Mar 12th, 12, 11:02 AM
Tech Team

Hey David, thanks for the fast response. I cleaned the terminals on both battery terminals and I want to check if the wires have shorts or breaks but can I check if their working with my Multimeter? Also, I have not tried pouring fuel in the throttle body and cranking it. My brother started it the other day and it ran for a little while. Since it started without pouring fuel in the throttle body, should I still try pouring fuel in it?
Thanks
Old Apr 6th, 12, 10:28 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpozzi View Post
It seems strange the battery will start another vehicle but not your Camaro. The clicking you hear is likely the starter solenoid snapping on and off due to lack of input voltage. Your battery seems weak, but on a good starting engine it is probably good enough, on the Camaro engine where you have to crank it more, it is not up to the job. It probably would crap out on your other vehicle if you had to crank it that long.

Check your battery cables very closely for corrosion, the fact that your added ground wire helped indicates something may be wrong with the factory ground cable. The ground connection must be to the block, and all connections clean and tight. It is very common to see battery cable corrosion on the positive battery cable, even on side terminal batteries. On the inner fender near the battery, there is a power junction block, it should have a power wire in the wiring harness that runs around in front of the battery towards the radiator. Inspect the wires there for shorts or breaks. I had a buddy find bad connections there (in front of battery) that killed his cooling fans & I think caused some starting issues. Once the battery is disconnected the computer loses all learned memory and will be a little bit hard starting & may not idle smoothly instantly, but it should start & run with elevated idle for a few minutes and recover within a few start ups as it re-learns what the engine likes.

Have you tried pouring a small amount of fuel in the throttle body and cranking it? If it tries to start with the added fuel, your fuel pump is probably not working.
Hey I changed all the spark plugs and the wireing is alright. there is no cross-threads. somebody looked at it and said there is gas in the oil because the oil smells like gas. he suggested to maybe rebuild the engine or get a new one. he thinks there might be a head leak. waht do u think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement