1967 Camaro RS Hideaway Headlight Removal/Installation Instructions - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

Old Jul 16th, 12, 09:11 PM

Mike

Default 1967 Camaro RS Hideaway Headlight Removal/Installation Instructions

Hi Everyone.

I'm new to the forum, looks like a great place for Camaro related information.

I have a 1967 Camaro SS/RS, I'm having a little issue with my driver side hideaway headlight, it is no longer opening and closing. One night I turned my headlights on, not knowing that the door didn't engage the limit switch and shut off the motor. Long story short, I believe my gears are gone and I need to buy a replacement motor. When I turn my headlights on now, the motor makes a whining noise and I can move the door easily by hand (unlike the other door). Does anyone know if this sound like the motor? Or are the gears separate from the motor?

I'm trying to remove my old motor to figure out what kind I have to replace it with, but am having some problems doing it (without having to do any unneeded work). Does anyone know where I can find some removal/installation instructions online? Has someone ever done a how-to on this? I've tried to so a search on this but have come up unsuccessful.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Last edited by mroho; Jul 16th, 12 at 09:14 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 16th, 12, 10:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Chris

Default Re: 1967 Camaro RS Hideaway Headlight Removal/Installation Instruction

The OE headlight motors are riveted and will need to be drilled out to access the gears inside the housing. You just re-rivet them with a larger rivet afterwards. When you pop the cover be careful as there are 8 small gears and plates that will spill out. Not much in the way of electrical as you will find out. These in many cases burn up and finding spare parts that are functional can be difficult. One than needs to ask how soon before it or the other motor goes?

To answer your question I have not come across any manual for taking them apart for service. I tried to repair one of my motors but rather than gamble on used parts I decided that replacing them was a better idea as these motors are a problem area in any case. If you have a numbers matching vehical and need to have OE than keep searching for used motors, or pull the old ones and store them and get new motors. These are hidden from site in any case!

The one functioning motor I sold for $75.00 and put that towards a new set of headlight motors from Retro Electro. These are high grade motors that function perfectly and are an easy install and are as close to stock appearance that one can get today for 67's. You can call Mark and talk to him he offers great service and advice and provides a first rate product that many of us here have used and are pleased with. 4 yrs have gone by since installing his motors and they have not missed a beat and operate as smoothly as the day they were installed. No more messing around trouble shooting headlighte door opening and closing issues.

http://retro-electro.net/repromotor.html
TKO 600 Extreme, Centerforce dual friction clutch,12bolt 3:73 gears.

Last edited by 67RSSS; Jul 17th, 12 at 08:55 AM.
Old Jul 17th, 12, 11:07 AM
Senior Tech

Michael

2x on Retro-Electro.
Old Jul 17th, 12, 12:05 PM

Mike

67RSSS /mahunt, thanks for the replies.

I was looking at e Retro-Electric website, will probably buy a replacement motor off them.

I'm confident that I am not dealing with original parts here, I believe the person who owned the vehicle before me replaced it with an aftermarket kit when he restored the car. I was hoping to be able to take it apart and find a similar aftermarket part that would match the passenger side.

The only way I can see these units come out to access the motor is if I remomve my radiator cross member support. Do I need to do this?

Thanks again, look forward to more replies.

Mike
Old Jul 17th, 12, 01:30 PM
Senior Tech

J.R.

Mike, you need to take the entire headlight bucket and door and frame assembly out. Take the front door covers off and also the metal trim piece around the light, (the filler panel that fills in the area along the fender, for lack of remembering what it's called.) Take the headlight bulb out and disconnect from harness. Take the bolts that hold the metal frame (bucket) assembly out. I believe there are three one the front side and two on the back side of the radiator support. You will have to turn and play with the hinged assembly and with the angles but the assembly will slide out when you get it turned just right. Be patient!. This gives you access to removal of motors. Put a few layers of tape on the painted areas surrounding to protect the surfaces. Good luck.
J.R.
Old Jul 17th, 12, 05:24 PM
Senior Tech

Steve

There is a nut on the bottom of the motor that may need to be tightened. Mine have backed off in the past and I have experienced the same issue (motor just keeps running). You can get to it without disassembling everything, check that out first, maybe.
Old Jul 17th, 12, 07:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by class67 View Post
There is a nut on the bottom of the motor that may need to be tightened. Mine have backed off in the past and I have experienced the same issue (motor just keeps running). You can get to it without disassembling everything, check that out first, maybe.
Steve is right. I would be sure that nut on the motor shaft is tight before you think about replacing the motor. There are friction washers and spring washers that fasten the actuator arm on to the motor shaft and they could be loose.

Roger
Advertisement

Tags
1967 headlight motor, headlight, hideaway, ss/rs