Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Aug 5th, 12, 12:11 AM
Senior Tech

Tim

Default Passenger Side Mirror Attachment

I need to fit a passenger side mirror to satisfy state vehicle registration requirements.
Is the reinforcement for the driver's side door mirror that can be seen with the mirror removed (picture below), part of the door structure where there is 2 layers of sheetmetal, or is it a separate piece of metal found just at the mirror location? If it's a separate piece, is it also present beneath the outer door skin on all passenger doors, or were they only provided for cars with passenger mirror option? Seems like they would be on all doors regardless, but would prefer to check before drilling.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 5th, 12, 12:52 AM
Senior Tech

Garth

Default Re: Passenger Side Mirror Attachment

Pretty sure it's a seperate piece in the mirror location only, factory welded. Don't think there's any reinforcement on passenger doors. Passenger side mirrors were not optional from the factory (on first gens), and were dealer or owner installed.
Old Aug 5th, 12, 01:54 AM
Senior Tech

Tim

Thanks Garth - I'd read that the pass.mirror was dealer-fitted via the RPO list on CRG, but assumed that this choice would still appear on the dealer order, so the factory would know to install the extra plate - if that's how it was done. Seems like it probably didn't work like that, but regardless, I guess I can remove the interior door panel and beef up that area if there's only a single skin of sheetmetal.
Old Aug 5th, 12, 07:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

terry

Tim we added a passenger mirror. The door was original GM and there was no extra metal there. After playing with it a while and just used washers for extra support.
Old Aug 6th, 12, 01:09 AM
Senior Tech

Garth

I don't make over to CRG much Tim, too many websites and not enough time. Interesting, do you recall the RPO number on that ?

I honestly believe the pass. side mirror was fastened with sheetmetal screws only, no added support on the bottom side. The metal in that small area with the bodyline crease right next to it makes it quite rigid. Think the main cause of concern is the screws holding tight and not pulling out. A second thickness of metal would help considerably in that regard. Welding wouldn't necesarily be needed, but would make for a much easier installation.

Just some thoughts.
Old Aug 6th, 12, 04:06 AM
Senior Tech

Scott

There is no RPO for a passenger(RH) mirror. Therefore there would not be a support for one on the passenger door. RH mirrors were dealer installed, not regular production. The only mirror option was LH remote, RPO D33. You can make a inner support bracket just like the LH one if preferred.
Old Aug 6th, 12, 04:19 AM
Senior Tech

Tim

Thanks Terry, Garth, and Scott for your replies and suggestions; I'll make up an inner bracket like the driver's door has, for peace of mind.
Just to clarify, I didn't state that the passenger mirror had an RPO number, just that the CRG RPO spreadsheet listed the mirror as a dealer option.
Old Aug 6th, 12, 10:43 AM
Senior Tech

Russ

Need to remove the door panel but I used a piece of 3/16" thick aluminum ~3/4 wide by 6" long and wedged it up under the skin. The tricky part was having my son hold it in place when I tightened the mirror mount from the outside with the glass all the way up.

If you haven't bought a mirror yet, I'm running the convex right side mirror by Scott Drake. Very happy with it.

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock
Pics: my drop top driver
Old Aug 6th, 12, 02:52 PM
Senior Tech

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj68RS View Post
Need to remove the door panel but I used a piece of 3/16" thick aluminum ~3/4 wide by 6" long and wedged it up under the skin. The tricky part was having my son hold it in place when I tightened the mirror mount from the outside with the glass all the way up.

If you haven't bought a mirror yet, I'm running the convex right side mirror by Scott Drake. Very happy with it.
Thanks for the tip Russ!
Old Aug 6th, 12, 04:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Did you mount it in the same location relative to the LH mirror? If so, how is the view. I have seen a couple of posts that indicate you need to mount it 2 or 3 inches back from where the LH is mounted, or you can't see very much because of A pillar interference.
Old Aug 6th, 12, 06:54 PM
Senior Tech

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilodeaulynn View Post
Did you mount it in the same location relative to the LH mirror? If so, how is the view. I have seen a couple of posts that indicate you need to mount it 2 or 3 inches back from where the LH is mounted, or you can't see very much because of A pillar interference.
Good point, Lynn - I'll get a helper to hold the new mirror for me and adjust position for best view from driver's seat, before marking and drilling holes. Thanks!
Old Aug 7th, 12, 07:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Post a pic when you get it done and share your measurements. I am getting ready to make the same upgrade on my car. Like you, I am planning on a reinforcement of some kind. I was thinking of using a small 1/8 steel bar, drilling and tapping for machine screws. I don't think I would trust the two sheet metal screw method. Probably what they did at the dealer, so they would not have to pull the door panel, but still, just not that strong.
Old Aug 7th, 12, 12:45 PM
Senior Tech

Russ

Use blue painters tape to cover the top of the door skin. Measure and position the mirror with sharpie markings. That way when your assistant accidentally moves it's easy to reposition the mirror for view checking prior to drilling holes. Trust me, movement happens no matter how careful your helper tries to be.

With the convex mirror I mounted it 1" back from the position the left side was at. This worked well and makes it to where I can still somewhat see out the mirror even when my passenger's are is resting on top of the door panel. I tried further back and honestly didn't like how it looked at all.

I don't have any good pics that show relative position of both mirrors - sorry.

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock
Pics: my drop top driver
Old Aug 14th, 12, 05:52 PM
Senior Tech

Lorne

Has anyone got contact info for convex mirror supplier? Thx
Old Aug 15th, 12, 05:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jason

Make sure you sit in the seat and have someone stand there with the PS mirror to adjust it's positioning. If you don't do this the mirror will be worthless. It will not mirror the positioning of the DS mirror.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement