Team Camaro Tech banner

Passenger Side Mirror Attachment

13K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  fishface 
#1 ·
I need to fit a passenger side mirror to satisfy state vehicle registration requirements.
Is the reinforcement for the driver's side door mirror that can be seen with the mirror removed (picture below), part of the door structure where there is 2 layers of sheetmetal, or is it a separate piece of metal found just at the mirror location? If it's a separate piece, is it also present beneath the outer door skin on all passenger doors, or were they only provided for cars with passenger mirror option? Seems like they would be on all doors regardless, but would prefer to check before drilling.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Garth - I'd read that the pass.mirror was dealer-fitted via the RPO list on CRG, but assumed that this choice would still appear on the dealer order, so the factory would know to install the extra plate - if that's how it was done. Seems like it probably didn't work like that, but regardless, I guess I can remove the interior door panel and beef up that area if there's only a single skin of sheetmetal. :beers:

#5 ·
I don't make over to CRG much Tim, too many websites and not enough time.:sad: Interesting, do you recall the RPO number on that ?

I honestly believe the pass. side mirror was fastened with sheetmetal screws only, no added support on the bottom side. The metal in that small area with the bodyline crease right next to it makes it quite rigid. Think the main cause of concern is the screws holding tight and not pulling out. A second thickness of metal would help considerably in that regard. Welding wouldn't necesarily be needed, but would make for a much easier installation.

Just some thoughts.:)

#6 ·
There is no RPO for a passenger(RH) mirror. Therefore there would not be a support for one on the passenger door. RH mirrors were dealer installed, not regular production. The only mirror option was LH remote, RPO D33. You can make a inner support bracket just like the LH one if preferred.

#7 ·
Thanks Terry, Garth, and Scott for your replies and suggestions; I'll make up an inner bracket like the driver's door has, for peace of mind.
Just to clarify, I didn't state that the passenger mirror had an RPO number, just that the CRG RPO spreadsheet listed the mirror as a dealer option. :thumbsup:

#8 ·
Need to remove the door panel but I used a piece of 3/16" thick aluminum ~3/4 wide by 6" long and wedged it up under the skin. The tricky part was having my son hold it in place when I tightened the mirror mount from the outside with the glass all the way up.

If you haven't bought a mirror yet, I'm running the convex right side mirror by Scott Drake. Very happy with it.

#9 ·
Need to remove the door panel but I used a piece of 3/16" thick aluminum ~3/4 wide by 6" long and wedged it up under the skin. The tricky part was having my son hold it in place when I tightened the mirror mount from the outside with the glass all the way up.

If you haven't bought a mirror yet, I'm running the convex right side mirror by Scott Drake. Very happy with it.
Thanks for the tip Russ!

#11 ·
Did you mount it in the same location relative to the LH mirror? If so, how is the view. I have seen a couple of posts that indicate you need to mount it 2 or 3 inches back from where the LH is mounted, or you can't see very much because of A pillar interference.
Good point, Lynn - I'll get a helper to hold the new mirror for me and adjust position for best view from driver's seat, before marking and drilling holes. Thanks!

#12 ·
Post a pic when you get it done and share your measurements. I am getting ready to make the same upgrade on my car. Like you, I am planning on a reinforcement of some kind. I was thinking of using a small 1/8 steel bar, drilling and tapping for machine screws. I don't think I would trust the two sheet metal screw method. Probably what they did at the dealer, so they would not have to pull the door panel, but still, just not that strong.

#13 ·
Use blue painters tape to cover the top of the door skin. Measure and position the mirror with sharpie markings. That way when your assistant accidentally moves it's easy to reposition the mirror for view checking prior to drilling holes. Trust me, movement happens no matter how careful your helper tries to be.

With the convex mirror I mounted it 1" back from the position the left side was at. This worked well and makes it to where I can still somewhat see out the mirror even when my passenger's are is resting on top of the door panel. I tried further back and honestly didn't like how it looked at all.

I don't have any good pics that show relative position of both mirrors - sorry.

#16 ·
Make sure you sit in the seat and have someone stand there with the PS mirror to adjust it's positioning. If you don't do this the mirror will be worthless. It will not mirror the positioning of the DS mirror.
Yep - see post # 11 above

#19 ·
I cannot imagine driving without the passenger mirror. Getting ready for paint on my 69and need to fit my passenger mirror first. I really need to know how much farther back to mount it. I can't sit in the driver's seat because it isn't in the car. If any of you have mounted a passenger mirror and are HAPPY with the result, would you please post. Because it is difficult to measure just how far the first hole is from the front of the door (factory hole for driver's side). Just post the difference between driver's and passenger side mounting, i.e. how much farther back than the driver's side. Is one inch sufficient? Will I be able to see anything?

#20 ·
You really need to sit in the car. It's going to be different for everyone based on their height, how far they have the seat back, what position you like to drive, etc.

Can you just bring a seat down and use 1 or 2 bolts to hold it in position?

#21 ·
Would do if the seat were here. 60 mile round trip to get it, and I really want to get this done tomorrow. I can go ahead and paint the body now, do the mirror later. But... the thought of punches, drill, marking etc. on fresh black paint doesn't appeal to me. It will be nerve racking enough just putting everything else on.

My other option is to just drive it without the pass side mirror, but it is really a safety issue for me. But I can always put it on later.

#23 ·
RHS Mirror position should not be much of an issue on the '68/'69, or atleast it wasn't on mine ( same as LHS ).

The aft positioning for RHS was to compensate / eliminate for the vent window frame on the '67 - or am I missing something ?
Steve, you may be right (I haven't fitted the mirror to my car yet, have to do some more work to the pass. side door :sad:), but the key thing is to check the view of the mirror from the driver's seat before drilling any holes.

#25 ·
Just read that entire thread Billy. I have always thought I wouldn't mind paying extra if they made mirrors that wouldnt flop around like all I have tried, even the 'Concourse' quality ones. I was so fed up I was thinking of using the bullet mirrors at the next repaint but loved the look of the chrome ones that came with the car. I for one am very happy that this problem has finally been solved and will be ordering a set. Looks like it has been a long haul for you to get this all together but believe me we are thankfull!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.