Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Camaro Tech General Tech Area
For best results use specific forums

Old Aug 18th, 12, 04:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Steve

Default Go Big block?

Well I was told that my '68 was originaly a big block...NOT SO.I went to visit FastLanes Car sales here in St. Charles and they had 4 Cameros. 1 of which was a big block. I found that the heater core tubes come out at a different location to leave room for the valve cover at the fire wall so I would have to change that on mine. How much trouble would that be??? I got a SMOKEIN deal offered to me on a big block. I also tried to research the bell housing and if I am reading it right the small and sb and bb take the same one???is that right?

Thanks in advance for all the info and support I can get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 18th, 12, 04:39 PM
Senior Tech

mike

Default Re: Go Big block?

I went from 6 cyl to bb it was not hard to swap out the heater core etc. I took the fender off to make it easier. An old mechanic told me I could have just cut off the bolt that was only reachable with out the fender but it was done already. Bell housing is all the same from 6cyl to bb. You would have to get stands. There are tons of posts on this do a search.
Old Aug 18th, 12, 05:22 PM
Senior Tech

Not quite that simple. A BB is mounted 1" right of center and about 3/8" forward of the sb position as measured at the rear face of the block. This requires specific '67-'68 BB frame stands, BB radiator & shroud [23" core] and BB trans crossmember, one for 4-speed, another for auto. The cross-shaft is BB only also; about 5/8" longer. The BB heater core is not the same as SB; the heater is slightly different to accomodate the core and the cover has the holes punched in it. Other minor stuff like carb rod, some wiring and battery cables were also different. Most BBs used the 11" clutch; SB depends on the specific engine.

Sure you can hack n' slash a BB in. Doing it right is a bit more involved.

CRG www.camaros.org
Old Aug 18th, 12, 05:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jim

Well there's your problem right there: You have a Camero and most of the rest of us have a Camaro...

Sorry but I just couldn't resist

Like William stated you can do it correctly by purchasing all the right ingredients (frame stands, motor mounts, tranny mount, accelerator rod + heater core and radiator stuff) or you can hack it. I choose to buy (or found in the yard back in the 70's-80's) all the right items (car in my sig was a 327/210 w/PG) and it fit like a glove.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn
Old Aug 18th, 12, 07:51 PM
Senior Tech

Tom

Smile Re: Go Big block?

The offset is only 1/2" off of center. If you measure from the carburetor stud to each fender the difference will be 1".
69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 TPI transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
Old Aug 21st, 12, 08:55 PM
Senior Tech

Jimmie

I thought that there was a sticky by Larger Dave that gave all the small block to big block swap info. Just dont see it.
Old Aug 22nd, 12, 05:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Steve

I measured my trans. mount holes and they are off center .5" to the drivers side???
Old Aug 22nd, 12, 08:18 AM
Senior Tech

Tom

That would be correct for a big block, if it was to the passenger side. Small Blocks are centered.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 TPI transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

Last edited by TJS69; Aug 22nd, 12 at 09:28 AM.
Old Aug 22nd, 12, 05:07 PM
Senior Tech

Gary

I don't want to split hairs, here, but I think the trans mount is 1/2" to the pass side. I never measured, but I'm betting the fan is closer to 1" to the pass side.
Old Aug 22nd, 12, 10:30 PM
Senior Tech

Tom

Gary, The transmission is offset 1/2" to the passenger side. The unequal length of the frame stands and actual offset make that 1/2" offset. Your fan should not be offset any more than that as it only would be if the engine was at an angle... and it isn't. I should say it should not be.
Old Aug 22nd, 12, 10:43 PM
Senior Tech

Dave

Bell housing info is a little off as well. In 68 alll BBC Camaros got the large bellhousing and 11 inch clutch, 168 tooth flywheel. All 68 SS350 Camaros also got this large bellhousing and flywheel. All 68 Z/28 got the smaller bellhousing and flywheel. Don't know about 6 cyl cars, but remaining v-8 base cars also got the small bellhousing, flywheel.
Old Aug 23rd, 12, 06:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

terry

If I was going big block I would buy a little insurance with a scatter shield.
Old Aug 27th, 12, 07:32 PM
Senior Tech

Dave

Wink Re: Go Big block?

Terry has a great point. SBC or BBC I'd never use an aluminum bellhousing. I've seen what happens when a flywheel comes apart. It will take pieces out of the frame, come through the floor depending on how hard you're pushing it. My 302 cars I've seen some cracking, but the last 68 SS car I had the flywheel was full of cracks when I pulled it apart. I'd only had the car 3 months, so hard to tell what it had been through. Scattershield is cheap insurance. Your feet/legs will thank you!
Old Sep 3rd, 12, 08:33 AM
Tech Team

Bob

If you have power steering; you might have to go to 9" brake booster instead of the stock 11"...
Old Sep 3rd, 12, 12:28 PM
Senior Tech

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddize View Post
If you have power steering; you might have to go to 9" brake booster instead of the stock 11"...
Normally this is only with certain aftermarket or "tall" valve covers. Why would power steering have an issue on big blocks and not small blocks ? What does power steering have to do with the booster size ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement