Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Aug 22nd, 12, 12:07 PM
Senior Tech

Joe

Default Gas Tank Paint Color

Want to paint the gas tank in my 68 to look closer to factory original silver/metal color. Currently it's flat black. Don't want to replace the tank or try to strip it. Is there a silver/gray color that will come close? Anybody used the Eastwood gas tank paint?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 22nd, 12, 12:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

John

Wink Re: Gas Tank Paint Color

I painted a fuel tank (non-camaro) recently with the 'Shiny Galvanized' spray paint from a local store and was impressed with the near factory look.
It is the stuff sold to be used to paint over welded or damaged areas of Chain-Link fences.
Your local hardware place should carry something like it.

I was originally just looking for something to offer better protection, but liked the look so much I actually thought about using it on my vehciles to 'restore' the tank(s) color.
Other V6 things - none of which float
Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Old Aug 22nd, 12, 02:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Default Re: Gas Tank Paint Color

I used the Eastwood tank paint and thought it came out good. I had enough left over I painted some other parts the same color.

Roger
Old Aug 23rd, 12, 12:33 AM
Senior Tech

Garth

I used Eastwoods "Tank Tone" also, although wasn't real impressed as far as matching the original appearance. I had mine down to bare metal and would've probably clear coated it, but had a few dings that required filler so...Believe it does offer very good rust protection if applied generously. Think I put on about 4 coats, then lightly rubbed it down with fine steel wool to give it more sheen and a closer OE appearance.
Old Aug 23rd, 12, 04:03 AM
Senior Tech

Scott

Eastwood's tank paint is nothing more than galvy paint you can buy anywhere else and for less than half the price. And they have zinc in them too. As John said, it's common in fence construction, as well as awning frames, trailers, etc. No paint will match the original metal's appearance. They just write it up to convince you it does.
Old Aug 23rd, 12, 09:07 AM
Senior Tech

Joe

Thanks for the input...think I'll go with the hardware store spray & see how it looks.
Old Aug 23rd, 12, 11:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesauer View Post
Thanks for the input...think I'll go with the hardware store spray & see how it looks.
I want to caution you about Rust-Oleum paint. Its a good paint if you get it painted the way you want it the first time. If you wait to long to re-coat or try to use another brand to re-coat it reacts bad.

Roger
Old Aug 24th, 12, 08:28 AM
Senior Tech

Eastwood tank tone. Used this on my new tank and looks great.
Old Aug 24th, 12, 05:13 PM
Senior Tech

Garth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
Eastwood's tank paint is nothing more than galvy paint you can buy anywhere else and for less than half the price. And they have zinc in them too. As John said, it's common in fence construction, as well as awning frames, trailers, etc. No paint will match the original metal's appearance. They just write it up to convince you it does.

Yeah, but atleast you know it's semi-close to an OE look. Have used various "cold galvanizing" coatings over the years that have ranged from light to dark gray primer looking finishes. The OP is asking for folks experiences with something close to the original look. If you know of a particular brand, speak up. They certainly aren't all the same.
Old Aug 24th, 12, 05:26 PM
Senior Tech

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfields Maro View Post
Yeah, but atleast you know it's semi-close to an OE look. Have used various "cold galvanizing" coatings over the years that have ranged from light to dark gray primer looking finishes. The OP is asking for folks experiences with something close to the original look. If you know of a particular brand, speak up. They certainly aren't all the same.
I can't "speak up" about a brand because it's been years since I've used it. Maybe John remembers, he mentioned he used it. Which brands do you like or dislike?
Old Aug 24th, 12, 11:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

John

Red face Re: Gas Tank Paint Color

I can't remember name on product, but I'm pretty sure it came from Home Depot or maybe our local fencing store - don't think I even kept the can as it was pretty or completely empty when I was done
I have to go to HD tomorrow anyway, so I'll look again to see if it was from there - IIRC it was on the same isle the fencing and other parts where on, not in the paint area.
Was in a pretty non-discript can with just the name and product on it. Did say it was 'zinc rich' or something like that ...

My local hardware store (OSH) has Rustoleum Galvanizing spray in two (2) flavors - a 'cold' that's dull and a 'shiney' that's ... you get it

Don't know what the tank looks like after a little weathering, but it looked very nice when new - and I'm sure the guy would have mentioned it if it was failing or looked bad by now
Other V6 things - none of which float
Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement