GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Convertibles Convertible Q&A's

Old Nov 4th, 12, 10:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Charlie

Default Vert Top Won't Decend Far Enough!

Hey there,

The Top on my new 69 Vert works perfectly EXCEPT it won't desend far enough down to allow attachment of the cover or boot or whatever you call it. What's the deal and how can I fix this? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 4th, 12, 10:59 AM
Senior Tech

Al

Default Re: Vert Top Won't Desend Far Enough!

It's possible that the well liner is keeping the top from going down far enough. The well liner 'should' be glued to the rear seat support. If the installer overlapped too much fabric over that support and then glued it, the well liner might not be deep enough.

There may be a different reason, but that's what comes to mind for me.
Old Nov 4th, 12, 11:57 AM

Brian

Default Re: Vert Top Won't Decend Far Enough!

Also makes sure as the top is descending that the top is not binding and folding in the wrong direction. Some newer material tops need to be trained a few times to fold in the right place before the material goes that way on their own.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Convertibletoppicture.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	30659  
Old Nov 4th, 12, 04:11 PM
Tech Team

Rick

I had the same issue with my 67. Discovered that the convertible material was folding up between the frame as it folded up. I manually unfold the material so it is not folded into the frame rails, and it collapses much tighter. The boot is still a pain, but not as bad.
Old Nov 4th, 12, 06:45 PM
Senior Tech

Chris

Good points. Also check the top of your rear inner wheelhouses. The tops of the wheelhouse looking from inside the car) on converts were flattened out for more clearance. Replacements designed for coupes are not flat on top and must be flattened out.
Old Nov 4th, 12, 10:28 PM
Senior Tech

George

some tops are thicker, factory type or aftermarket?
1.632 60ft, 11.726 ET, 113.49mph
o 68 Vette 427, owner 23 years
o 68 Camaro Rallye Green Vert 327/2004R/3.73 http://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...183654&page=68
Old Nov 5th, 12, 06:45 AM

Kevin

After checking the above, make sure your header latches are closed before you put the top all the way down. The hooks will interfere with the boot.
Old Nov 5th, 12, 02:43 PM
Senior Tech

It's hard to tell with the top on but there are also adjustments in the top irons that will change the "stack height". The "S" shaped bars that come down at the rear to the inner quarters, if you move them forward or rear word at the lower mount it changes the stack height.

Brian
1959 Rambler American (Yeah I said RAMBLER, you want to make something of it punk?)
"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
Old Nov 5th, 12, 06:04 PM
Senior Tech

K.P. Walsh

are the metal tabs there that the frame snaps into on either side?
manual top? I know the manual tops have those, if it snaps in place then you are good to go. my old '69 convertible top was difficult to close in cold months. I would always keep it up except the 3 or 4 super hot months when I would drive with the top down every trip.
Old Nov 6th, 12, 11:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Max Stewart

I have a 69 Camaro Convertible, and when putting the top down, and trying to put the boot on, it is impossible for me to do so. I even ordered a new boot, and have the same problem with it, I am 71 and have arthritis?? in my hands, and blame that on why I cannot snap the boot in place, I have had friends install the boot with no trouble at all, so in my case I either leave the top up or leave it down, The distributor recommends leaving the boot out in the sunlight to make it more flexable, I live in Las Vegas, NV where it is HOT HOT HOT, and I still cannot by myself snap the boot in place. The Upholstery shop I use, wanted to drill holes in the body, and make me a new boot to accomadate installing the snap buttons, NO WAY would I do this, Have put up with this for years, and guess have no choice but to continue doing so. Also in my case every time when attempting to install the boot, the plastic/metal pieces that snap into the body trim break, I myself think they are not designed right, If you don't have any extra clips, you are up the creek until you order new one's, Point being, Distributors such as Classic Industries, when ordering look at the description they have in their Catalog, New clips that are not guaranteed against breaking for as long as you own the car. Part # K52010 reproduction set of 16 Clip for $39.95 OR Part # R5280 Made in the USA superb quality for $59.95 for 16 clips. I payed the extra $20,00 and got the ones made in the USA, they also break, but send them back along with the orginal invoice number and so far Classic Industries has honored replacing them, course you have to pay the return and delivery shopping charges. This is my personal comments, but do wish I could find an uphostery shop that could make me a new boot that was a bit larger that would snap on without the current problem I am having. I now have the orginal boot, plus bought Two more, hard to get any of the three to snap on easily...................
Old Nov 6th, 12, 11:29 AM
Retired

Dennis

Max if you use the clips properly they install with pressure from the palm of your hand and your arthritis shouldn't be as much of an issue for you...

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Old Nov 8th, 12, 12:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Max Stewart

Thanks Dennis, I will attempt putting the boot on again by myself, have not been successful in the past......I purchased the new plastic piece that goes on the boot, from PUI. now I want to see if the Upholstery shop that does my upholstery work will make me a custom boot that is a little larger than the boot I purchased from PUI, hoping it will snap on easier, Will see how that works out soon..................
Old Nov 18th, 12, 10:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Charlie

Max, I hope you have been able to make some headway with your Vert tops operation.

Here's a picture of mine in the fully power retracted position. The attached picture shows about a 2 3/4" distance between the chrome trim and the high point of top. From my perspective, my boot cover won't fit and the top needs to somehow desend further. Can someone with a power top with a boot cover that fits give me/us a measurement between the chrome trim and high point of their top so I can at least know how far further down it is suppose to desend?

I have removed the screws holding the material that cradles the top, so I don't believe that is the problem.

Thanks a lot

Last edited by camaromaniac; Mar 16th, 14 at 02:48 PM.
Old Nov 18th, 12, 10:54 AM
Retired

Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromaniac View Post
Max, I hope you have been able to make some headway with your Vert tops operation.

Here's a picture of mine in the fully power retracted position. The attached picture shows about a 2 3/4" distance between the chrome trim and the high point of top. From my perspective, my boot cover won't fit and the top needs to somehow desend further. Can someone with a power top with a boot cover that fits give me/us a measurement between the chrome trim and high point of their top so I can at least know how far further down it is suppose to desend?

I have removed the screws holding the material that cradles the top, so I don't believe that is the problem.

Thanks a lot
Did you follow the instructions on lowering the top where you reverse the 2 folds so the frame doesn't pinch the top material if you just let the top go down?

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Old Nov 18th, 12, 12:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Charlie

Ok, one way or another I am going to get this to work, but it hasn't happened so far.

* I closed the latches & hooks as recommended by Kevin
* I corrected the folding pattern per the diagram provided by Brian, but still the same result of 2 3/4" distance between chrome trim and top bar of colapsed top
* I have tried to apply plam pressure on the boot clips as recommended by Dennis, but it seams to take a lot of pressure as Max indicated and even without having arthritis, I can's get but a few of them to clip in

The prior owner indicated he never used the new boot cover and now I know why, but it looks striking just sitting loose so somehow I have to make this work!

Oh, and what is the purpose of the zippered part of the vert top? I unzipped it in hopes it would assist with the collapse of the top, but it doesn't appear to have done so. Note, I have what I believe is a two piece back window for what it's worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement