Looking for a body shop in the Southern IL St. Louis MO. area. - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Nov 6th, 12, 11:17 AM

Default Looking for a body shop in the Southern IL St. Louis MO. area.

Well I'm finally in a financial position to start working on my 67 Camaro but Im not sure if Im ready to do major panel replacement. I know I need at least one new quarter, trunk floor and shock mounts. Can anyone recommend a good shop in the area that has experience with older camaros?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 6th, 12, 04:32 PM
Senior Tech

John Stone

Default Re: Looking for a body shop in the Southern IL St. Louis MO. area.

Check with Radical Rods in Columbia Illinois 618 281 8488
Owner is Tim Roberts and he has done several first gen Camaros
He is also a Goodmark Parts dealer and usually has sheet metal in stock.
Old Nov 7th, 12, 11:23 AM

Thanks I will check them out. Have they done any work for you?

Has anyone heard of AL's in red bud?
Old Nov 7th, 12, 03:39 PM
Senior Tech

John Stone

Yes Radical Rods did my quarter panels, reskinned both doors.

I did the 80 percent quarters.
Old Nov 7th, 12, 11:45 PM
Senior Tech

Kevin Oeste of V8TV is an excellent shop with plenty of Camaro experience.
Old Nov 8th, 12, 12:34 AM

Jeremy

Tagging for future reference.
Old Nov 8th, 12, 06:49 AM
Senior Tech

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Stone View Post
Check with Radical Rods in Columbia Illinois 618 281 8488
Owner is Tim Roberts and he has done several first gen Camaros
He is also a Goodmark Parts dealer and usually has sheet metal in stock.
'67 I'm doing now was supplied with all Goodmark panels. Fenders, doors and quarters are unsatisfactory. Replaced quarters with AMD and located GM doors and fenders. Goodmark decklid is OK but narrow as usual. At least it's not like a wet noodle like other repro lids. SS hood may make it but still needs some corner mods, front flange on it poorly stamped and does not resemble GM at all. Goodmark door skins were incorrectly installed on twisted shells, poorly stamped and have inconsistent window openings. Left Door/fender gap 1/8" top and bottom and over 3/8" at midline, front hem was poorly done. Adjustment will not reslove these issues. Most people know when a skin is installed the bare shell must be on the car for alignment. Or made with precision as an auto manufacturer would.
Fender fronts are poorly stamped, lack correct definition and have voids at valance mating surface. Any deviation from GM panels stands out proudly.
Old Nov 9th, 12, 05:08 PM
Senior Tech

keith

I agree with Scott. I saw the car he is working on. That guy got "robbed" on his sheet metal job.I too fell victom to a Goodmark quarter for my 69. I got it fixed, tookm alot of extra time. I would'nt even put one on my mail box. They realy are bad in my opinion.I also bought one from Clasic Industries "OER" was not any better. These were full quarters and not very good. I purchased a full floor, complete trunk, frame rails,firewall, and filler between trunk and back window from Dynacorn and they worked with very little problems. I think that AMD is prob the best stamped quarters around for the money.
Old Nov 10th, 12, 08:32 AM

Ive heard from several people to stay away from oer and goodmark. So far it seems like the best choice for sheet metal is amd and Ive also heard that DII isnt bad but I cant find any info on them.

I just got my car moved back into my garage its been in temporary storage. I may be getting ahead of myself looking for a body shop. Im going to try and get a bunch of pics today and post up in another thread to see what people think of the starting condition. This was my first car but It doesnt really have any sentimental value and Im thinking I might be better off starting with another car.
Old Nov 10th, 12, 05:31 PM
Senior Tech

keith

DII is also known as Dynacorn . They make alot of stuff. Not sure on quarters though.
Old Nov 10th, 12, 05:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
'67 I'm doing now was supplied with all Goodmark panels. Fenders, doors and quarters are unsatisfactory. Replaced quarters with AMD and located GM doors and fenders. Goodmark decklid is OK but narrow as usual. At least it's not like a wet noodle like other repro lids. SS hood may make it but still needs some corner mods, front flange on it poorly stamped and does not resemble GM at all. Goodmark door skins were incorrectly installed on twisted shells, poorly stamped and have inconsistent window openings. Left Door/fender gap 1/8" top and bottom and over 3/8" at midline, front hem was poorly done. Adjustment will not reslove these issues. Most people know when a skin is installed the bare shell must be on the car for alignment. Or made with precision as an auto manufacturer would.
Fender fronts are poorly stamped, lack correct definition and have voids at valance mating surface. Any deviation from GM panels stands out proudly.
But... other than that, they were OK, right??
Just want to say how much I appreciate the professionals like Scott putting up with all us amateurs. Not saying anything against any of the posts. Just appreciate Scott and Brian. I am sure there are others, but they always seem to exhibit a lot of patience.
Old Nov 11th, 12, 07:33 AM
Senior Tech

keith

I saw the car that scott has now, the one he is working on. I felt very awkward because the owner thought it looked good. It didn't. I used one quarter on a 69, prob the one they sell the most of, " would think they would have it correct by now" and it was horriable . If you are building a drag car it might be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Team Camaro Tech > First Generation Camaro Info and Tech - 1967- 1969 "Where it all started" > Body Shop      Current Topic: Looking for a body shop in the Southern IL St. Louis MO. area.
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.