GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Restoration Corner Where originality comes first

Old Nov 17th, 12, 08:25 AM
Senior Tech

Tim

Default Couple Restoration questions about my IPC?

So I just started a thread in the Builder Project section about my survivor 69 396 IPC restoration and am curious about a couple things I'm finding and asking if you guys have seen this before. After removing the rear deck spoiler it looks to had been painted on the trunklid no edvidence of stripes under the spoiler and a black cloth type duck tape covering the emblem holes? Also the underside of my cowl hood is painted body color as is the floor pans and rockers? I was aware IPC had painted body color rockers but underside of hood and floor pans-not the typical GM black? Oh going back to the deck lid stripes they don't end over the back lip of the trunk lid which I thought was a IPC thing since obviously they were painted with the spoiler mounted on the car, mine the stripes stop like the Z/28's where the spoiler meets the deck lid? Any thoughts.....?
Advertisement

Old Nov 17th, 12, 09:42 AM

Brian

Default Re: Couple Restoration questions about my IPC?

That would be correct for factory paint. Dealer added spoiler would have stripes under and on leading edge. Holes were covered and new holes drilled to relocate the emblem. Take a look at the Z28 striping info http://www.camaros.org/exterior.shtml Rally striping was only available on Z-10, Z-11 & Z-28 and was done the same on all three except Z-10 & Z-11 overrode the color rules and was only done in Hugger Orange.

Hood should be black but may have some overspray but again that also depends on which factory.

Loads of info on the assembly process over at CRG. http://camaros.org
Old Nov 17th, 12, 09:09 PM
Senior Tech

Tim

Thanks for helping clear up a few questions I had but one question still remains; Did they ever paint the underside of Pace cars floor pans the body color white or does mine just have excessive white over spray. My buddy is convience when we put the body on my rotissary we paint the bottom of the car white. My rear inner fender wells and rear frame rails are clearly solid white, when I dropped the fuel tank even the bottom of my trunk floor has factory white over spray on that. I did find a partial build sheet still stuck to the top of the tank. My car is a LOS built car if that matters for all the white overspray..?
Old Nov 18th, 12, 12:27 AM
Senior Tech

Garth

I'd say the overspray you descibe is normal. The amount varied from one car to the next. Being white makes it more obvious. The fact that the build sheet was still there almost proves it's factory original under there. I presume you found a heavy coating of sound deadener in the wheel wells, over the white ?
Old Nov 18th, 12, 07:19 AM
Senior Tech

Tim

Thats exactly what I found Garth, the only place on the car to any sign of undercoating is located in both rear wheel wells. I almost looks like bedliner material which my buddy and talked about putting back in there, I hate that rubberized undercoating crap, that stuff makes people think your trying to hide something even when your not!! Oh and the coverage is terrible, you can see the wheel well was painted solid white and then maybe only one swipe with the factory under coat was applied because they didn't shoot it all the way to the outside wheel well lips or inside to the frame rail. I got some great shots of the whole tear down so far that shows all this, I just need to figure out how to down load all of it.....
Old Nov 18th, 12, 02:57 PM
Senior Tech

Garth

Yeah well, regarding the undercarriage paint and coatings, the factory was more concerned with production than appearance and things got a bit sloppy, as you know. I think most folks follow RamAirDaves motto, "Build Them Like the Factory Intended Them To Be", when doing a restoration. But there are other folks that try to duplicate the factory look as close as possible. It's your call.....
Old Nov 19th, 12, 03:49 PM
Senior Tech

Tim

I just can not believe how truely crude these cars we're assembled and painted at the factory and how so seriously over restored we make them in redoing them even refinishing them just to be nice street cars let alone trailer queens....
Old Nov 19th, 12, 04:35 PM
Senior Tech

Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankit View Post
I just can not believe how truely crude these cars we're assembled and painted at the factory and how so seriously over restored we make them in redoing them even refinishing them just to be nice street cars let alone trailer queens....
Tim, Have you ever taken a close look at a Model A or T ? Now that was
crude. Just the level of technology at the time. That's also what makes
rebuilding these cars doable for most of us. No high tech equipment required.
I fully agree with your "over restored" statement. Do you suppose judging
these cars at major shows has changed over the years ?

my 67' build thread: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=190185
Old Nov 19th, 12, 05:35 PM

John

Quote:
You have to remember they were building close to 1500 cars per day using technology that was primitive compared to the computer/robotic system used now.

Norwood alone was turning out 1 car per minute.
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
Old Nov 19th, 12, 07:57 PM
Senior Tech

Daniel

John just FWIW it was 960 a day at Norwood.
Old Nov 19th, 12, 11:24 PM
Senior Tech

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanjs View Post
Tim, Have you ever taken a close look at a Model A or T ? Now that was
crude. Just the level of technology at the time. That's also what makes
rebuilding these cars doable for most of us. No high tech equipment required.
I fully agree with your "over restored" statement. Do you suppose judging
these cars at major shows has changed over the years ?
Ya I have a 1930 Ford 5w coupe and get what your saying about that but thats to be expected for that year of car but I guess we get so used to seeing restored cars at car show, cruise in and swap meets that I think I've become numb to the cars being over restored and have come to think that its the norm and then when you view a truely unrestored survivor car the differents is just shocking... one car minute is just amazing! I find it just to hard and crude to restore a car so poorly just for the shake of it being original so it loks like over restored it the route for me. I can't bring myself to over spray the exhaust manifold and bell housing, put runs in the door jambs and over spray the floor pans... I can do better....
Old Nov 20th, 12, 04:48 AM

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by TModel66 View Post
John just FWIW it was 960 a day at Norwood.
Plus I believe over 500 per day in LA.
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
Old Nov 20th, 12, 10:20 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Plus I believe over 500 per day in LA.
LA never got close to 500/day. There were approximately 211 days of production at Van Nuys and 31,163 Camaros were produced. That's an average of 148/day; the rate varied as other models were built on the same lines.

One of my pastimes is re-creating the 1969 production calendars for both plants. It will be a work in progress as more info is acquired. I can always use more data, particularly Van Nuys late March to the end of production.

For those who have a Broadcast Copy and are willing to provide the VIN and production date, pm me. Will remain confidential.

CRG www.camaros.org

Last edited by William; Nov 20th, 12 at 05:31 PM.
Old Nov 22nd, 12, 10:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Cool Re: Couple Restoration questions about my IPC?

Quote:
Did they ever paint the underside of Pace cars floor pans the body color white or does mine just have excessive white over spray. My rear inner fender wells and rear frame rails are clearly solid white, when I dropped the fuel tank even the bottom of my trunk floor has factory white over spray on that. I did find a partial build sheet still stuck to the top of the tank. My car is a LOS built car if that matters for all the white overspray..?
As far as I can tell from my car, the body stampings, floor pan, et al...come with a finish, and/or then black paint.

My car has the white overspray from when it was painted and goes about half way towards the tunnel or center under the car.
The amount of overspray on my car is not in great volumes,
but appears more like a light haze ( think of it as you pull the spray gun away from and object: the paint diffuses and breaks down into small droplets to the size of specks ),
with some heavy specks of gathered paint in the size of a semi used pencil tip ( a guess in terms of comparison ).

My car also has the same paint overspray consistency above the gas tank areas.
Undercoating is present on mine.

X44, CE-427, M20, C BE, 712 50 50
Old Nov 23rd, 12, 09:37 AM
Senior Tech

Tim

Hmmm so now my question becomes what do I paint the bottom of my car, I have a couple of gallons of the GM semi gloss or flat black paint I bought and stashed before they disco'd it which would look prefect with no over spray on the floors, or Gm semiflat black with recreated white over spray or paint the whole underside white...? My personal preference is either all semi flat black or all white I just don't like the actual most original or correct way with the sloppy overspray...On a side note the factory black that is present on the underside floor pans has terrible coverage, some bare spots, some heavy spots with runs no consitantcy's at all. Again I realize these were production assembled vehicles when I paint mine today or tomorrow I want good even coverage getting in all areas no runs... geez we way over restore these cars from the smallest detail to even the largest
Advertisement

Tags
69 ipc 396 restoration