Starter rebuild kit - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

Old Nov 22nd, 12, 06:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Donny

Default Starter rebuild kit

Anyone have a good source for a starter rebuild kit?? I want a quality High Torque rebuild kit which includes an armature and HD solenoid. Thx.
Advertisement

Old Nov 22nd, 12, 09:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Fred

Default Re: Starter rebuild kit

Do you want to keep your original starter in service? Why not just put it on the shelf (I did) and buy a mini starter?
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495, 128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.
http://epitomesrebuild.com/
http://ss427.net/
Old Nov 22nd, 12, 01:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Donny

Thanks Fred. I dont want to use a mini starter. I want to use the OEM style.
Old Nov 22nd, 12, 02:55 PM
Senior Tech

Steps

If u are going to rebuild yourself, get the armiture tested on a a growler.
Other than that basically the rebuild is bushes/ bearings, set of brushes, new solenoid contacts/ disc...
If dont have a lathe to turn down, use emery cloth and boot lace to spin and kero (lamp parrafin) as lube.....
Check the armiture has had the AC delco recommenation to under cut the insulation.
Old Nov 23rd, 12, 12:31 AM
Senior Tech

John

Check with Rock Auto, they sell most of the parts. And Power master might have the items you are looking for, call them.
Old Nov 23rd, 12, 11:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
If u are going to rebuild yourself, get the armiture tested on a a growler.
Other than that basically the rebuild is bushes/ bearings, set of brushes, new solenoid contacts/ disc...
If dont have a lathe to turn down, use emery cloth and boot lace to spin and kero (lamp parrafin) as lube.....
Check the armiture has had the AC delco recommenation to under cut the insulation.
Steps! You're speaking of my youth. I still trip over old emery cloth. And undercutting should never be done with a Dremel, right?! But that's all that's left these days. It's the stuff of nightmares.
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495, 128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.
http://epitomesrebuild.com/
http://ss427.net/
Old Nov 24th, 12, 09:09 AM
Tech Team

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
Anyone have a good source for a starter rebuild kit?? I want a quality High Torque rebuild kit which includes an armature and HD solenoid. Thx.
I don't think you will find a rebuild kit with an armature in it. Let me know what parts you want and I can supply whatever you need. You can probably get a solenoid and brushes at a local parts store.
Old Nov 24th, 12, 09:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar View Post
I don't think you will find a rebuild kit with an armature in it. Let me know what parts you want and I can supply whatever you need. You can probably get a solenoid and brushes at a local parts store.
Thanks Mark. Yeah I figured as much. I really wanted to upgrade my 3689 starter with all new HD parts. I was hoping to find what I wanted and a HD solenoid from a speciality shop. Didn't want the typical local auto parts store stuff. Thx again
Old Nov 24th, 12, 12:14 PM
Senior Tech

Steps

Quote:
And undercutting should never be done with a Dremel, right?! But that's all that's left these days. It's the stuff of nightmares.
I never thought about a demel...Im fortunate in having a lathe in the work shop...
There cant be many old starters that have not been rebuilt or used older armitures.. therefore IF these companyies where reliable, then where required these armitures would already be under cut... in saying that, it is my experiance over the last 20/25 yrs, the alternator have not been tested on a growler...or even got a growler (as specified in the AC delcome electrical service Manual) a huge reason in its self for the terrible reputation GM starters have.

I also note here, AC Delco list hundreds of starters, with diffenent min / max rpm , current specs/ alternator specs....or even if Auto sparkies/ rebuilds are even awear of this....gab a random, case, a freild coil , an alternator and simply mix and match.
So get a heavy duty armiture with a std feild coil...

My thought is this...If one KNOWS their starter is 100% orginal, NEVER been opened up, yes rebuild it..and under cut....check on a growler.. and run intials (not confused with idle) advances over over 12 degs .....if not go after market with solid feild magnets or geared units
Old Nov 24th, 12, 02:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Donny have you checked your Yellow Pages for some one that could rebuild your starter? I was able to find a guy locally that works out of his garage that done a great job rebuilding my starter and alternator.

Roger
Old Nov 24th, 12, 08:35 PM
Senior Tech

Steps

To rebuild a starter....or an alternator..
is just a mtter of undoing a few scews, nuts, carefull with the solenoid contacts, they are eay to break off inside (some kits have replacements anyway)
pull ends of, clean everything down with kero.
Getting the nose bush out is a but fiddley but flicks out ok...press in the new bush with handle end of an old screw driver .. taping lightly...reassemble the bendex spring dry (ac delco manal says a special thin oil) smooth of the communtor on the armiture...screw in the new brushes....then reassemble.
Tools... couple spanners, a scew driver, bit of emery tape....and about 45 mins tops.
Kits are cheap...
Old Nov 25th, 12, 01:40 PM
Tech Team

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
Thanks Mark. Yeah I figured as much. I really wanted to upgrade my 3689 starter with all new HD parts. I was hoping to find what I wanted and a HD solenoid from a speciality shop. Didn't want the typical local auto parts store stuff. Thx again
It is good to see you realize the difference in quality. As far as solenoids go there can be a big difference. They come with as little as 100 wraps of wire and as high as 132 wraps. It is quite a big difference in quality and dependability especially if heat is a problem when starting. There is also a difference in the material used in the bushings. As far as the armatures go a good used armature is just as good as a new one if it is tested and turned on the lathe. I prefer used to new as most new available are of foreign manufacture and quality can be suspect. If an armature has a comutator insulated with mica is must be undercut. If it is insulated with bakelite it should NOT be undercut. I recently had a customer bring me a new old stock Delco armature new in the box bought on ebay. It was bad right out of the box. Also be careful buying rewound armatures because often part of the process involves a slight cut on the barrel of the armature changing the distance between the armature and the fields making the starter a bit less powerful. Delco also used 2 different springs for the return in the solenoid. I am refering to the big spring going over the plunger and into the open end of the solenoid. Use the shorter one especially if you have any hot start concerns. The drive assembly comes with either a 4 or 5 ball roller in it. The 5 roller are superior to the 4. I have been rebuilding these professionally for 38 years. Again if you need anything even just an ear to listen, or ask a question, I can supply it for you. Mark
Old Nov 25th, 12, 03:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Donny

Thanks Mark for the help. I' ll send you a PM.
Old Nov 25th, 12, 10:38 PM
Senior Tech

Steps

Quote:
If an armature has a comutator insulated with mica is must be undercut. If it is insulated with bakelite it should NOT be undercut.
Yeah read the manual...the service manual buleeterns has notes on types to undercut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement