Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Old Nov 28th, 12, 10:36 PM
Senior Tech

Jerod

Default New dist help

I am going to replace my current points dist in my 1969 Camaro with a mild 350 street/show car. I found out that my breaker plate and vaccum advance is locked and not working. I am looking at the Pertronix II. I do not want a ignition box in the engine bay. I was having issues when I hit the gas it would pop or bogg down, then get thru it and then go. I checked all plugs and all were clean, new wires. Then i took the dist cap off and found the breaker plate locked and no change in idle when the vaccum advance was unhooked, no change in engine at all. Motor is a 350, bored to 358, Vortec heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Lunati hydr flattapped cam part number 00017LK, Edelbrock 650, and roller lifters. The motor has right at 950 miles on it, with cam addative ZZDP brand added during oil changes. Is the Pertronix dist a good choice. Thanks, Jerod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 29th, 12, 03:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Rocky

Default Re: New dist help

Not sure about the Petronix but I opted for a HEI Dizzy in my 67 350, got rid of the ignition module and coil but had to do a bit of panel beating on the fire wall coz the cap is fairly big. I had timing and ignition problems with MSD that was in there but since changing to the hei it runs like a dream and cost $270 AUD which I thought was good value.

67 SS
Old Nov 29th, 12, 04:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Kevin

I run a Mallory Unilite setup and its been great for about 15 years now! I blew one module because I didn't disconnect the cables when I jumped the battery with a hot start load on the charger. No pounding the firewall needed ! I have the Mallory Distributor and Coil. See link to Summit below....

Kev

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...FQJx4AodgEUAzw
Old Nov 29th, 12, 06:57 AM
Moderator .. Jim

Jim

Same here as Kev...Unilite system, works like a charm, fits like a glove.

Photos of my Camaro for viewing
Old Nov 29th, 12, 07:01 AM

John

MSD 8360

No Box required and has built in programmable rev limiter.
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
Old Nov 29th, 12, 07:47 AM
Senior Tech

Michael

Remove your current distributor and fix it. Then install the Pertronix. You'll likely have to bash in your firewall if you install the HEI.

After taking out the distributor, drift out the pin that holds the bottom gear on (noticing that the alignment dimple indexes the rotor pointer on top). The distributor can now be stripped, cleaned and repaired if necessary. Put everything back together being mindful of the gear dimple/rotor alignment. Convert to the Pertronix (which I run) and swap out the resistor coil wire for a regular wire to get 12V.
Old Nov 29th, 12, 08:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
Same here as Kev...Unilite system, works like a charm, fits like a glove.

I agree. I had one in my '67 Camaro for the 350, and it worked great. I'm now going to use it on the ZZ430 for my '55 Bel Air.

1967 Camaro RS ZL1 427/4 spped
1967 Camaro RS 327 L30 4 speed
1955 Bel Air 4-door, 350/TH700R4
1969 Camaro convertible X11 Indy 500 Pace Car, matching numbers 396/4 speed
1970 Camaro RS
My Mom's 1978 Lincoln Continental Mark V Diamond Jubilee Edition
2000 Rolls Royce Silver Seraph
Old Nov 29th, 12, 09:15 AM
Senior Tech

mike

From your original post you said when you hit the gas it popped and bogged this could also be a faulty carb squirter(accelerator pump). I have the msd distributor but my set up is no where near stock.
Old Nov 29th, 12, 10:56 AM
Senior Tech

Steps

Quote:
mild 350 street/show car.
As suggested above, repair the current unit, and the pionts have been reliable up to now right? why change?
Nothing wrong with the GM HEI 4 pin module units....the clearance with firewall is usually because of incorrect engine mounts and/ or the lower rear trans mount having the lower hight option mount....the plastic clip that goes over the tops of the HT dizzy boots may need shaving off the back if want to use that....and needs to be located with the cam in such a position the VA pionts to just behind the passenger headlight and timed so the flat sides run near parrall to the firewall.

Had u checked that the VA was not leaking?

HEIs out of the box are setup for EGR/ polution addons and ported vaccuum, If dont have these pollution addons of the '70s, the dizzy needs to be re dialed in for non pollution/egr manifold vaccuum specs....u may drop it in and will 'work' that doesnt mean it is working correctly or as best it can.
Old Nov 29th, 12, 02:36 PM
Senior Tech

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahunt View Post
Remove your current distributor and fix it. Then install the Pertronix. You'll likely have to bash in your firewall if you install the HEI.

After taking out the distributor, drift out the pin that holds the bottom gear on (noticing that the alignment dimple indexes the rotor pointer on top). The distributor can now be stripped, cleaned and repaired if necessary. Put everything back together being mindful of the gear dimple/rotor alignment. Convert to the Pertronix (which I run) and swap out the resistor coil wire for a regular wire to get 12V.
X2, on the Pertronics Ignitor, it is nice and simple and very reliable,I've been running one for nearly 20 years and have never had to do ANYTHING to it. Great performance enhancement too.
Old Nov 29th, 12, 04:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

jared

I'd stay away from a pertronics ! I have a brand new in my 355ci built mild,and have tried everything to dial it in ,only to find out that something is wrong with the vac adv. With the vac adv unplugged it idles great,but when you plug in the vac adv it starts idling rough and surges up and down!! The vac adv works with the timing light,but something is wrong. I wish now I would have went with a msd or better . The only reason I went with a pertronics was so I would still have the factory look. I haven't called them yet,but it sat in the box for a year or so before I put it in . FRESH BUILD
Old Nov 29th, 12, 05:07 PM
Tech Team

RICK

I used a pertronix with the ignitor 2. I ran a new wire for 12volts. Have had no problems with it. It fits nicely at the firewall. Simple and clean.
Old Nov 29th, 12, 07:55 PM
Senior Tech

Morgan

Buy the crane xri and leave your resistor wire in place, it also comes with a rev limiter
Old Nov 29th, 12, 09:01 PM
Senior Tech

Steps

Quote:
only to find out that something is wrong with the vac adv. With the vac adv unplugged it idles great,but when you plug in the vac adv it starts idling rough and surges up and down!!
This is not an issue with the VA it an issue with dialing the engine in... either the VA is working in the wrong vaccuum range or the intial is in the wrong range or springs too light or combo of 2 or 3.
This is assuming when u suck on the VA tube it holds a vaccuum.

I dont comment on a pertronics simily because have never worked one as as the are very rare in this country...but regardles of brand, the symtoms are not of faulty parts.

The VA , assuming no EGR, pollution stuff, therefore manifold vaccuum should be all in at no more than 1" above idling on intial no VA attached....
If the VA is partly in at idle then the VA pulls partly out , rpms increase, the idle circuits run aiout of fuel, the rpms drop, the va pulls in...etc similar with too light springs.
Old Nov 30th, 12, 02:13 AM
Senior Tech

Doug

Check out this distributor from MSD. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ms...make/chevrolet. This will fit in your car without beating on your firewall. You will also need the MSD Blaster 2 coil part# MSD-8202 for $37.95. I have used a MSD distributor in my 67 Camaro for years with no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement