Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Dec 6th, 12, 01:33 PM
Tech Team

Bryan

Default DIY paints for body

Looking to see what paints are recommended if your painting in a garage (no booth) car is in NJ so it gets humid but the car will stay in a garage just a nice weekend driver. I had painted this in 1990 autoshop class and a nice booth with diamont system but the car stayed outside for 20 years and the clear and some paint cracked off so I want to do it over this time keep it indoors most of the time. Anything I should look for at a local paint shop or just go the online route? I wasn't going to take it down to bare metal we did that before catalyzed primer etc. Just wanted to sand it good primer/seal then more wet sanding etc and paint/buff. Any ideas would be helpful I wanted to do it back to black and white stripes so no cut in would be needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 6th, 12, 02:28 PM
Senior Tech

Greg

Default Re: DIY paints for body

One thing to remember is if you dont remove all the cracked material and just prime over it the cracks will eventually appear again.

1995 Z28 (sold)
1987 Iroc-Z (sold)
2005 350Z (sold)
Old Dec 6th, 12, 05:52 PM
Tech Team

Bryan

Yea I plan on going down to the primer on those spots and if it still is shaky I will take it all off. Thx for the heads up.
Old Dec 6th, 12, 07:41 PM
Senior Tech

Steps

What is the paint on it at the moment?
Old Dec 7th, 12, 04:06 AM
Senior Tech

Greg

I am not familiar with the Diamont system you used, but if it used a non catalyzed base coat you MAY have problems with the basecoat lifting when you spray another material over it.

1995 Z28 (sold)
1987 Iroc-Z (sold)
2005 350Z (sold)
Old Dec 7th, 12, 06:35 AM
Tech Team

Tim

Go with urethane BC/CC if doing in a garage. You will be tempted to use a single stage (don't do it). Nothing wrong with single stage but much easier to sand through on edges, bodylines, ect with only 2~3 coats. BC/CC you can pile on the clear to sand all the trash out. I really like the SPI Universal Clear. Very user friendly and very easy to buff. I think they are even making base coat again. Many other good brands there too, just my $.02.
Old Dec 7th, 12, 06:49 AM
Senior Tech

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromedss View Post
Go with urethane BC/CC if doing in a garage. You will be tempted to use a single stage (don't do it). Nothing wrong with single stage but much easier to sand through on edges, bodylines, ect with only 2~3 coats. BC/CC you can pile on the clear to sand all the trash out. I really like the SPI Universal Clear. Very user friendly and very easy to buff. I think they are even making base coat again. Many other good brands there too, just my $.02.
Does not make a difference if the SS and clearcoat mil thicknesses are the same. If the car is metallic it's pretty obvious the shoot BC/CC. Shot plenty of cars with SS Concept and never buffed through. Seen plenty of novices burn through BC/CC.

OP provides little paint failure details or products and procedures used 20 years ago. "Catalyzed primer" stated is vague.
Old Dec 7th, 12, 05:03 PM
Tech Team

Tim

Scott,

Certianly you can pull off the SS as you sound experienced in this area. I just did more or less what the OP is doing in my garage with SS Concept 9300. with 3 coats and trash/peel on body lines leaves very little margin for error (ask me how I know). I cut through several places wet sanding and ended up re-coating then cleared and had no issue after that. If I had it to do over again I would have used BC/CC. SS and metallics...forget it. Good luck OP, very rewarding seeing your work when done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement