Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Dec 10th, 12, 07:58 AM
Senior Tech

Eldon

Default Paint mixing question

Well I finally got my 67 FB vert painted this weekend. I got 3 coats of base Palladium Silver and 3 coats of SPI Universal clear on and all went well. This was the first time for me to spray silver metallic but ended up no problem.
My question is, I am going to put a grey stripe on the hood and deck lid. I have the base silver that I shot and I have a pint of a darker gray metallic that I will be spraying for the stripe. I think the darker gray is too dark for what I am wanting to end up with so can I mix the two base coat together to get a lighter gray color. They are both Pro Spray base colors from the same source.

Thanks
EB

If I knew how to post pics on here I would. I have tryied in the past and could not get it to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 10th, 12, 08:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

John

Wink Re: Paint mixing question

The simple answer is
But ... it can be a bit more than that to change a color

1.) Be sure, as you stated, that the two components are truly fully compatible - this includes checking the Data Sheet(s) for differences in mix ratio/reducer/diluent(solvent)/activator, substrate requirements, open coat/re-coat specs, top-coat requirements and others can be different even in 'like' product lines.

2.) It takes "a ton" of a lighter pigment to 'move' a dark color to a lighter shade.
You don't want to take the entire amount of the 'dark' you have and start adding the 'light' in trying to achieve a color you want/like.
It is best to make several small test mixes with varied ratios to test for the actual color you like - even then, you may not have enough of the 'lighter' color to actually move the darker color to the shade you like.
So - see #3 ...

3.) Call the paint supplier you worked with and ask them if they will tint the darker color for you to get what you'd like.
Most good suppliers will work with me to move an already purchased color a shade or two to get a color that better fits my needs.
And the min. they will give/sell me a tinting mixture to do the work myself if I'm not sure of the exact 'move' I need for a given vehicle/match/like.

Hopefully one of the 'full-timers' will chime-in also

(ps: I'll be cruising back through your town in a few days on 84 - I'll be the one in the Bronze Trailblazer ... with a pistol, but without a hat ... )
Other V6 things - none of which float
Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Old Dec 10th, 12, 08:43 AM
Tech Team

John

Default Re: Paint mixing question

I agree with John. I'd have your jobber tint the Palladium Silver to the color you want. The reason being, it's reproducible. If you mix your own color, all you have is what's in the can. Have some color mixed up that you like and you may save yourself a headache down the road.
Old Dec 10th, 12, 09:04 AM
Senior Tech

Eldon

Thanks for the feedback. I ordered the paint from a place in Michigan and would have to mail it back to get it done. I have a ton of Silver left so I could start by mixing the dark into that and then I will have some left if I need to touch up.
I am not too worried about finding the stripe color later. If I need to do some painting on the stripe later I will just get a color match later.

By the way, if you are coming trough my way, just stop and pick yourself up a cowboy hat to go with that gun!

Thanks
EB
Old Dec 10th, 12, 09:22 AM
Senior Tech

Bob

Stupid question, maybe, but why didn't you shoot the stripes before you hit the car with clear??
Old Dec 10th, 12, 09:30 AM
Senior Tech

Eldon

Because the paint for the stripe did not get here in time, the weather here was turning bad on Sunday, and I could not wait another few weeks for the weather to clear so I can get my shop temp at what I needed to shoot in my homemade booth.
Also, I did my 68 Camaro with Z stripes that way and like the way it worked out and looks.
I will just color sand the hood, tape off, shoot the stripe and re-clear before I color sand the whole car. Also if I get any overspray on the rest of the car it won't matter because I can sand it away.
EB

Last edited by ebd; Dec 10th, 12 at 09:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement